FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of hearing protection do you guys use?
I like to use the plain ear plugs from S&W when I am shooting out doors.
I have tried those "gel" style ear plugs before but they tend to gather dirt and tear easy.

When indoors I am required to use ear muffs.

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
I always use the muffs - years ago, I used plugs, but some long time shooters all told me that they did the same and had hearing damage now. They claimed that the bone around your ear still carries the sound and the noise can damage your ears.

So, after that, I've worn muffs. Occassionally when I am at the indoor range, I wear plugs under the muffs.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I like to use those ear plugs with durable material when the temperature is warm.

When it's cold I like to use my electronic ear muffs.

I worked in a very noisy factory and our hearing gets tested every 6 months, if you loose your hearing it's not coming back.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ShipWreck said:
I always use the muffs - years ago, I used plugs, but some long time shooters all told me that they did the same and had hearing damage now. They claimed that the bone around your ear still carries the sound and the noise can damage your ears.
Sounds like psuedoscience to me. In fact your jaw bone also carries sound to the ear, that's how bone conduction technology works. Whether you use plugs or muffs makes no difference at all. Maybe those people don't know how to correctly use plugs that's why they have hearing damage.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I use Sordin Supreme Pro IV muffs. They are molded to allow good cheek welds on rifle/shotgun stocks. And I can hear a cricket fart 10 feet away with mics turned up. Plus they have an input jack, long batt life, and auto shutoff, plus water tight batt compartment.

TA

·
Registered
980 Posts
I switch between electric muffs and disposable plugs.
The problem with the muffs is that they can be uncomfortable when I'm wearing shooting glasses, and they don't work very well with most hats (a big deal in some climates).
As for disposables I've noticed a lot of variation in performance from the various brands. My favorite is the dense-yellow-foam-cylinder type.

Many people rough it when hunting, or shooting mild rifles. If shooting 'naked' be aware that shooting next to a wall, or window, or in a confined space, can make the blast many, many times louder. So be careful.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I also ear plugs and muffs depends on how hot it is....

Once every two years i shoot one mag unprotected to remind my self whats in store in a CCW situation :!:

I have a lot of damage from loud music my first sound off was 129db also my motorcycles would make a .45 sound quite :shock:

so yes i always have a small ring in the back ground so dont do what i do

after you damage you hearing your ears ring forever :!: makes sleep hard on quite nights but the ac helps any sound besides absloute quite :arrow:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Been using Peltor 6S tacticals.

Just upgraded to the Peltor 7S tacticals.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
abpt, my ears ring all the time too. Too many front row concert seats when I was young I guess. That's one reason I like the Sordins, They increase my hearing while blocking the shots. If I just use plugs I can't hear the range commands.

TA

·
Registered
138 Posts
Leightning L3 muffs. Very comfortable and they do a great job.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts