FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the proud new owner of a PS90 and after taking it to the range today, I decided I want an optic. I have heard a lot of great things about Vortex and their prices are hard to beat. I am considering a few options, so far the SPARC II, STRIKEFIRE II, & the SPITFIRE all look appealing. The SPARC II would be nice due to how compact and lightweight it is, but the SPITFIRE with 3x view would be nice as well. I also have considered the newly released VIPER and VENOM RDS. Anyone have any experience with these?

·
Registered
115 Posts
To me, the PS90 has always been a 'quick reaction' firearm meant to counter close in surprises. As such I envision it being used at ranges of 150 meters and closer (primarily). That being the case, a 1x red dot is my choice. Of the two Vortex optics, that would be the Sparc II.

My PS is fitted with a TRS-25 and it's served well over the years.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The Razor is a reflex sight about the size of the Fastfire III, so it's smaller, lighter, and field of view isn't as obstructed as with the Strike Fire or SPARCs "tube" sight.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
What is the benefit other than weight of something like the Razor over the strike fire or sparc?
What Dizzy82 said.

If you want a reflex sight, I would suggest something like the Razor.
However, if you want something a little cheaper in the same compactness of the Razor, the Burriss Fastfire III runs about $50 cheaper (I saw a Razor for $300 and the Burris is $250 in the same place).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the help. After weighing each option and watching a few more reviews, I chose the Spitfire 3x Prism Scope. I am going to join a range next month that has a rifle range that allows you to shoot up to 300 yards, so I will get to use it for long range as well. The eye relief is not a big deal as the P90 rail is very close anyways. I will let you know what I think after I take it to the range.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
When you get to use it at the 300yd range, let us know how it went.
My eyesight is so bad (astigmatism combined with bad nearsightedness) that I have problems seeing the target clearly on open sights even at only 50yds. And that is with my glasses on!

For me, a 3x or 4x compact optic could bring my eyesight on par with everyone else.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I ended up trading my Spitfire for a Razor. LOL. I really loved my Spitfire, but I don't have the funds for another optic. I think that will be a better fit on my PS90 like originally suggested. I would not hesitate to buy another Spitfire or SPARC if I need something like that down the road.

·
Vendor
5,809 Posts
So they are made of aluminum now instead of poly?
They are still made of high impact plastic (injection molding). The aluminum molds will allow us to mass produce them in the thousands instead of 50 at a time (with plastic molds that wear out) thus this will reduce production costs. Our first run will be 5000 units. :smile:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Elite ammunition "had" 2 of their Black ring illuminated optics yesterday (I ordered 1 so there may be 1 left). I couldn't justify spending 300-500 on an aftermarket optic when the original wasn't much more. I hope I made a good decision.

·
Registered
877 Posts
They are still made of high impact plastic (injection molding). The aluminum molds will allow us to mass produce them in the thousands instead of 50 at a time (with plastic molds that wear out) thus this will reduce production costs. Our first run will be 5000 units. :smile:
Will you update us when you have your 1st batch ready to go?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts