Votes: 3 4.4%
  • No significant issues of any kind

Votes: 53 77.9%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering buying an FNX-45 standard. On paper it looks like the perfect pistol for me. However you here (on this forum and elsewhere) lots of concerns about its reliability. So I thought I'd do an informal poll and see where things land:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Mine runs flawlessly! With and without the can.

***Apparently I cannot read today, completely missed the part where you were asking about the "STANDARD" model... I was referring to the tactical.....

·
Registered
179 Posts
Fnx

Considering buying an FNX-45 standard. On paper it looks like the perfect pistol for me. However you here (on this forum and elsewhere) lots of concerns about its reliability. So I thought I'd do an informal poll and see where things land:
I have the FNX standard in Stainless.Love it.The magazines springs are very stiff.Just keep the mags loaded up for a couple days.Then the pistol will run fine.I have the mags with the big base pad.Easier to reload.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Had an FNP 45 USG, which was essentially the standard FNX. Ran just fine for 2700 rounds. My tac runs great too, mags don't drop free if it's really cold though.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Mine is one of my favorite pistols to shoot, stone reliable, accurate, never had an issue. It's my nightstand gun.
Same. Got my surefire tlr-2g on it and it is right next to me.

The only "issue" was firing WWB while the recoil spring was brand new, but a few hundred rounds through it cleared it up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You will always hear a larger proportion of negative comments in the general forums than what is actually in the overall population of owners. Most happy owners don't write in to the forums. But a poll should bring out a pretty balanced response.
My FNX45??? 2500+ rounds of flawless fun. Not a single issue.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Bought a standard FNX 45 (FDE - because of their inherent accuracy superiority ;-) about 2 years and really thought it was going to become my go-to combat 45. Loved the design, capacity - really like FN - read every review and comparison.

In the end, it didn't run reliably but more importantly, I didn't shoot it well and didn't enjoy shooting it (which invariably means that I wasn't going to shoot it often enough to overcome my initial impressions - I know me too well). One of the few guns I bought before I even tried it (mistake of course) but was that sure I was going to like it. I didn't..

I think every now and then you get a gun that just doesn't fit you - for me that was the FNX45. I probably got one of the marginal performers but I've successfully dealt with that with other guns - somehow for me, it wasn't worth messing with so I had it "fixed" by FN and then just sold it. I will say I got almost all my money out of it so that worked fine and says allot about their innate value. I went back to a modified full size M&P (which is pretty much my platform of choice for polymer pistols) and that gun worked much better - for me... Lots of people have and LOVE the FNX 45. Matt

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had my FNX 45 non tac out in 15 F weather yesterday. Mags would NOT drop free. Will try some slip 2000 ewl which is supposed to operate in cold temps. If I cannot get it to drop mags/have release button return in cold temps, I will have to sell the gun. Its cold here well over half the year.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i voted no problem, but....

when the pistol was brand new, the mag would hang if i would press the mag release with a death grip. once i learned to not squeeze it harder then it needed to be, I havent had any issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Big FN fan as I love my Scar 17. I wanted to love the FNX 45 as on paper it seems like the ultimate partner to the SCAR. Finally made purchase and experienced all of the magazine issues mentioned above coupled with a spongy trigger. I think it is going up for sale...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Most would agree, if you want to reload a mag fast, it should drop freely. AND the button should NOT stick open, prohibiting a new mag from locking in place. It is a bad flaw. Wasn't laying in a snowbank. Just on my hip in 14F. Wouldnt want to carry one in cool temps. Especially if I was a LEO.

Sent it in via fedex today. $93

Would have been nice if they sent a shipping label along with the return form.

·
Registered
629 Posts
i voted no problem, but....

when the pistol was brand new, the mag would hang if i would press the mag release with a death grip. once i learned to not squeeze it harder then it needed to be, I havent had any issues.
I just picked mine up and I noticed this as well. While the mag release is pressed it would get a bit stuck and then if I loosened the press on the release the mag would drop free. Thanks for the tip by the way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was extremely excited about this gun. I loved the idea of 15 rounds of .45 in a combat ready pistol. When I go it the mag release was sticking badly; lube it and now it's fine. The mags only drop free from the gun about 40% of the time. That really isn't acceptable. I'm going to take it to the range tonight and if it doesn't perform like it should then I think my FN pistol career will be over in only 1 day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine is a keeper. It's been to the range one time, was fed 140 rounds of 4 brands of FMJ and defensive loads, with 0 malfunctions - including 3 free-falling mags. I did extensive research on high capacity 45's before I 'pulled the trigger' on the FNX. I have no misgivings about this pistol whatsoever. It is my home defender.....and I trust it implicitly.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.