FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good question but it all depends on the neighbor... :wink:

We recently came across an article that covered a home invasion. A neighbor was watching the house while the home owners were out of town on vacation. This neighbor was alerted by the home owners because their alarm company had called them because their alarm had gone off.

The neighbor watching the home then went over to see what was happening, and confronted the two suspects. In the process, he gets into a wrestling match and ultimately fires his gun at them.

Terry Robbins, a concealed carry permit holder, was reportedly alerted of a possible break-in by the out-of-town homeowners, who had received a phone call from the alarm company. They apparently asked him to go check out the situation.

Robbins says he then caught two men, identified as Jimmy Walker and Justin Blair, trying to break into the house.

“I told them, ‘Freeze! Hit the floor! I will shoot you!’ ” he told WCHS-TV.
A struggle reportedly ensued between Robbins and Walker, forcing the man to fire his gun in self-defense. With his accomplice shot and bleeding, Blair reportedly fled the scene.

If you were the neighbor watching the home, what would you have done? Would you have gone over to confront the suspects, or would you have watched from a distance since no one was in the home that could be hurt, while calling the police?

What would you do if your neighbors home was being broken into while they were on vacation? | Concealed Nation

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I am really in disbelief that the company sent the neighbor in...from a legal/liability standpoint wow...just wow...suppose the neighbor had been killed. Do you have any idea the potential civil liability of the alarm company?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
If I were the neighbor I would have declined to go out of fears of civil and (depending on how the situation played out) criminal liability myself. Once you go to the situation and only physical property is at stake, it can get very murky, even in "stand your ground" states like my own.

You know my theory about robbery though, right? As long as my wife, son and dog are safe I really, really, really wanted that new Samsung flat screen anyway. :wink:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Call the cops, observe from a distance. No one home = no lives being threatened and no need for deadly force.

·
Registered
441 Posts
As I read it, the HOME OWNERS called the neighbor after the alarm company called the owners to report the alarm. Wonder if the alarm company notified the police as well?

But yah, property can be replaced, life and limb cannot be. No need to escalate this situation.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I am really in disbelief that the company sent the neighbor in...from a legal/liability standpoint wow...just wow...suppose the neighbor had been killed. Do you have any idea the potential civil liability of the alarm company?
We must be reading the article differently... I read it that the alarm company contacted the homeowner and the homeowner in turn called their neighbor and asked them to investigate (to verify if it was a false alarm).

·
Registered
404 Posts
From how I read the article the alarm co. did NOT ask the neighbor to check out the house. It was the home owner that called the neighbor after the owner was alerted by the alarm co.

Reactions: P-Factor

·
Registered
404 Posts
Wow we all posted that at the same time. Sorry for the redundancy.

Reactions: Gers4Lyfe

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Treat it like investigating a wild animal... I would go look while being prepared to defend myself, but in a manner that doesn't block the escape routes of whomever is in the house. If the criminals get flushed out, they have a place to run and it gives an opportunity to get a description of them for the investigating officers. Keep the 911 dispatcher on speaker the whole time.

On a side note, I'm of the opinion that too many of us are worried about civil liability instead of doing the right thing for our neighbors and communities. This doesn't mean we go looking for a fight over trivial crap, but the more we take care of each other, the less we reliant we become on outsiders for help.

·
Registered
508 Posts
ianacole, fmjblack, and Two Six Six: yes, yes, on closer you are right.

I knew I should have stopped at 10 White Russians.
Lol, we didn't mean to gang up on you. To answer the original question, I would only observe from a distance and call 911 if I saw a neighbors house being broken into and I would never ask any more than that of my neighbors. It just isn't worth the physical or legal risk to get more involved than that.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Lol, we didn't mean to gang up on you. To answer the original question, I would only observe from a distance and call 911 if I saw a neighbors house being broken into and I would never ask any more than that of my neighbors. It just isn't worth the physical or legal risk to get more involved than that.
No worries :wink:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Call the police, and observe from a distance.

I would only go over, ready to defend myself, if it was someone who I knew had guns in the house. I wouldn't want to take the risk of the intruders finding the guns, stealing them, then using/selling them later on.

There have been quite of few of these scenarios happening recently in the area I live in. All of which ended bad for the person breaking into the house.

I just wouldn't sit and let it happen, being 'that guy'. In the local paper there was a story, about a month or so ago, where a guy saw someone breaking into his neighbors' home.... but didn't call the police. When asked why he didn't notify the authorities, he said something like "it's not my place to judge another person's actions." and that "I ain't no snitch."

·
Registered
367 Posts
Back in May, in Ft. Worth Texas, the police responded to a burglary, but went to the WRONG ADDRESS. (across the street)

Jerry Waller was in his garage shortly after midnight on May 28 when police shot him at least six times. He had gone out to investigate a noise and flashing lights, said his widow, Kathy.
Police were dispatched to the home across the street from Waller that morning because of a burglary alarm. The search warrant, granted hours after the shooting, says, “Due to poor lighting conditions and officers attempting to arrive on the scene undetected by potential criminials and the need for officer safety conditions, Officers Hanlon and Hoeppner inadvertently began searching 404 Havenwood Lane, directly across the street from 409 Havenwood Lane.”
The warrant says that officers approached the house knowing “there was a possible burglary in progress.” The warrant says, “There is no lighting around the home and the officers had only the use of their flashlights.”
It says when officers saw Waller in his garage with a handgun, they identified themselves and ordered him to drop the gun. The warrant continues, “The subject failed to comply and pointed the handgun at Officer Hoeppner and Officer Hoeppner fired on the subject fatally wounding him.”

that said I will be a Witness. No need to get shot.
But if my neighbors are home and in trouble, that brings an Armed Response...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Which neighbor? Some, I like better than others. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts