FN Herstal Firearms banner

What would you do if you found a gun on the side of the road.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I over heard my father taking to a friend about finding a gun buried on his property. It was a real old revolver with the frame basically all rusted, no grips, and the hammer completely rusted off. It was probably a farmers pistol that he lost. This got me think what would I do if I found a pistol on the side of the road.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I've actually seen this happen. Every time I think about a discarded pistol my mind automatically bridges the gap to 'this thing may have been used for nafarious deeds'. In your friends case the thing sounds like its unserviceable so that would probably have a bearing on what to do with it. Personally if I found a working revolver at the bottom of a creek I'd give it to johnny law and let them dispose of it as they see fit. There are better places to get revolvers then the bottom of a creek. :-D

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Option missing from the poll is to ignore it and keep walking. Because that's what I'd do. Why would anyone in their right mind touch the thing?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yea I'm with Kameron on this one, as square as it sounds, I'm either walking by it without saying a word, or if I'm feeling super responsible, I'm flagging down some cop so they can do what they want with it

·
Registered
1,914 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I wouldn't touch it, but I would inform LE of it's location. If the gun is lost, it can be returned.. or stolen it can be returned. Worse case, it could be the missing piece of a cold case, that could bring closure to a family, and I would want that if it was me.

Also could prevent an uneducated child to hurt themselves or place the weapon on the dark side, giving them more reason to go after our rights.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
this happen a few years ago. some might have seen this already, "so i apologize if its been posted before"... this guy was fired from his job when he found a firearm while mowing grass.. he did the right thing and it cost him his job...

Michigan Worker Fired After Turning In Gun Found On The Job - Careers Articles

Mich. County Worker Finds Loaded Gun on the Job, Turns it Over to Police ? And Gets Fired | Video | TheBlaze.com
This sounds like a case of an employer not wanting to pay retirement benefits and making up a reason to terminate its employee. Hell, the military is doing it. Why not the private sector as well?

"I just saved the company X amount of money by terminating John smith, I deserve a promotion".

Reactions: Ironminer

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I'll throw a wrench in the works, If it was a Hi-Point pistol most likely turn it in but what if it was a FN 17s?

Also if this should happen do not touch said weapon just guard it till police arrive as you do not want your prints on it.

Reactions: Ironminer

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll throw a wrench in the works, If it was a Hi-Point pistol most likely turn it in but what if it was a FN 17s?

Also if this should happen do not touch said weapon just guard it till police arrive as you do not want your prints on it.
After you mentioned a Scar17 I had to vote, look around and take it for safe keeping....:) I would explain finding it on the side of the road to the police. If they wanted it I would give it to them....If they said keep it...I would still give them a a couple of fired brass casings and bullets that were fired from it.

Reactions: blkbd

·
Registered
49 Posts

Wouldn't change anything... even though I am still saving for my 17... even have 1,000 rounds and 12 magazines.. but no 17....

May have some watery eyes as I inform LE though. Karma is still a .....

Reactions: blkbd

·
Registered
252 Posts
Your poll doesn't give enough options. The first and second option are not always realistic. The third is close to what needs to be done with minor modifications.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
If you find a gun by the side of the road, do your due diligence on the scene (e.g. if there are kids there then secure it) and get the law. Best case scenario it is someone else's property and they should get it back. Worst case scenario it is part of a crime, and the police need to handle that.

Another interesting question would be if you found a super old pistol in mint condition (say in your basement). I would make sure there was a witness to the find, document it and maybe even then let the cops see the situation in which you found it: you wouldn't want questions raised about its provenance down the road (remember, it probably wouldn't have a serial number, and so then who's to say?).

·
Registered
514 Posts
I over heard my father taking to a friend about finding a gun buried on his property. It was a real old revolver with the frame basically all rusted, no grips, and the hammer completely rusted off. It was probably a farmers pistol that he lost. This got me think what would I do if I found a pistol on the side of the road.
Come on Justin, tell us the truth, what did you find? We promise not to tell :)

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
A member of my family found a rusted revolver from many many years ago and kept it. I have it now somewhere in my house. In that situation and in the one you described, the pistol was unusable and had rusted longer than I've been alive so I'm keeping it. Spending quite of bit of time in National Forests if I find a working firearm I am taking it and then inquiring if it has been reported stolen/lost but I'm not necessarily going to drop it a police station. If its on the side of the road, I am grabbing my handy dandy bandanna and taking it with me. Then inquiring with the authorities if lost or stolen. Where I live theres a murder about every 5-10 years so I'm no overly concerned with the pistols history. If Im in a large city, Im not risking it.

Does anyone know if you turn the firearm in to the local police/atf that you can request it returned to you if it all checks out?

Edit to add: What if it's directly under a well traveled bridge but it just so happens that there is a badass fishing hole under there? Do you pick it up then? Not enough choices for me, no vote.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Don't touch, call police. Wait for officer to show up, make sure no one else touch's it.

Reactions: Gers4Lyfe

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Let's be clear, it wasn't left there as a gift. It's pretty likely to be stolen, used in a crime or both, I'm calling the cops. If it's out in the woods and someone likely forgot it there, I'm still turning it in, it's not mine. Now for an antique gun found a wall, IMO it would belong to the home owner. If it's gold coins, I never found any and you can't prove I did. :D
If you are wavering on your answer, what would you want someone else to do if it was your firearm they found? (Feel free not to answer if you used it in a crime.) :th_anim_coffee:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
this happen a few years ago. some might have seen this already, "so i apologize if its been posted before"... this guy was fired from his job when he found a firearm while mowing grass.. he did the right thing and it cost him his job...

Michigan Worker Fired After Turning In Gun Found On The Job - Careers Articles

Mich. County Worker Finds Loaded Gun on the Job, Turns it Over to Police ? And Gets Fired | Video | TheBlaze.com
That worker was two years away from retiring, if they didn't change their mind about firing this guy I see lawsuit in their future. Yet another example of the failure of "Zero Tolerance" policies.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not enough choices to vote.

Handgun or long gun ? Hand gun, I agree with others. Call LEO and safeguard it without touching. In my state its illegal to possess an unregistered handgun. I wouldn't want to risk losing my CCW. If said handgun checks out clean I believe if no one claims it after 90 days you may be able to gain possession. At least that's the way it works in my state with other found property. Not sure about weapons.

Now about that SCAR17, (or any other long gun for that matter) that would be a tough call. Really tough. Could take possession and look for anyone posting a lost and found. Or turn it in to LEO and wait 90 days if it checks out and hopefully be able to gain possession. More options available with long gun.

However, if it were my SCAR17 (if I owned one) I would definitely hope the guy who finds it turns it in so I could get it back. I believe in karma. What goes around comes around so I think rather than have my conscience bother me I'd try my best to find the owner first then turn it in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts