FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be hitting the range if all goes well tomorrow. What yardage should I zero my scope at? I live in a Rural area with lots of hills and flat open spaces. I was thinking 200 yard zero. But a buddy of mine was saying a 100 yard zero would be better. This will be my designated DMR rifle. It will pretty much stick to Match Grade fodder for her.

SCOPE: NightForce 2.5-10x42
MOUNT: ADM Recon-S
AMMUNITION: Southwest Match Ammunition with 168grn Sierra Match King
BI POD: Atlas 17L
TRIGGER: Geissele Super SCAR
photo(123).JPG photo(30).JPG photo(100).JPG
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would zero at 100 yards, did you get you'r scope in from my FFL.
No it was not going to be in for another 8 weeks. So I just bit the bullet and found not nearly as good a deal but I wanted the scope asap.

Reactions: rslsss

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh the 17 and Nightforce looks really good together.
I really like the FDEOD combo. The scope and Bi Pod need some help as the black sticks out to much. I might try my hand at Cerakoting. They have some pretty good kits out there.

Reactions: rslsss

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FDE is definately the best looking color. It really blends in well. I will get a better feel after I break her in.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Really depends on what you really are going to use the rifle for. Personally my 17 is for longer range targets with good knockdown power so mine is zero'd at 200. My AR's including my SBR's are zero'd at 100

Reactions: American Infidel

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is my Long range rifle. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I'm a fan of the 200m zero for my scopes. Put it on paper at 25 and that will get you real close at 200. Then tighten up the zero at 200.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Nice looking outfit. I'm one of those other types( super accurate Black). I agree with Mtnsnow. 200 would be a better zero for long range shooting unless you are going real long range-then 300 zero. Find out muzzle velocity of preferred ammo ( factory spec or chronograph), BC bullet and distance of scope above bore and print out ballistic table for 200yd. zero with 25yd. intervals. Sight at 25 or 50yds. Move out to 200yds. to confirm 200 zero. Takes a fairly good spotting scope to check bullet holes at 100-200yds. Also wind doesn't bother you as much at 25-50yd. Good shooing.

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
200 so you will be dead on at 50. Especially since this is going to be your long range rig. Looks good by the way.

Reactions: American Infidel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bottom line, it comes down to personal preference. I prefer to zero my optic at 100m because I find it easier to compensate for when I'm shooting shorter distances (under 100m). A 200m zero means you won't have to adjust for elevation as much when shooting >200m or at 50m, but 100-150m have a greater elevation change than with 100m. I've attached a ballistics table for your ammunition (the velocity's been adjusted for the stock 17S barrel). This way you can decide for yourself.

View attachment 100m vs 200m Zero - Ballistics Data.pdf

1 - 20 of 24 Posts