FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received a new Leupold Mark 6 3-18 and cant get fine focus at higher magnifications. Its as if it cant get to infiniti focus. I previously used the diopter objective focus to get reticle pretty crisp, but at 18x and actually lower mag a target I put on a backyard tree (30 yards) wont come into focus. My spotting scope which is no optical wonder provides a crisp image. All my other glass is 6x or less so I'm not that familiar with higher power scopes, but this cant be right. Any ideas? I'm prepping to send this back in and am pretty bummed, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Many high magnification scope with adjustable parallax won't focus close up at high magnification unless designed.
Most Leupolds look like 50-75 yards minimum focus, with the EFR design, down to 10 yards
I didn't find the MK6 on the chart I have
Sounds normal to me
BTW, The infinity setting is for far, not close

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replies. Hi magnification rookie with aging eyes over here. I'll wait to pass further judgement until I get out to the range, but I feel better.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
Just received a new Leupold Mark 6 3-18 and cant get fine focus at higher magnifications. Its as if it cant get to infiniti focus. I previously used the diopter objective focus to get reticle pretty crisp, but at 18x and actually lower mag a target I put on a backyard tree (30 yards) wont come into focus. My spotting scope which is no optical wonder provides a crisp image. All my other glass is 6x or less so I'm not that familiar with higher power scopes, but this cant be right. Any ideas? I'm prepping to send this back in and am pretty bummed, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks...
Not sure there are many shooters who will run any glass at 18X below 100 yards on a centerfire rifle.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
True Dat, I have the Mk 6 3-18 courtesy of Stryker and focus is just OK at less than 100 yds. Really have to get it to the designed distance for the scope and then it EXCELS, especially at higher magnifications! Add the Aimpoint T1 and make it into a DAGR and will be clear for 100 yds in. :th_thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts