FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts?

Also, what's the best AK regardless of price?

I've always wanted one, and feel now is the time.

I would prefer the original 7.62X39 chambering, but if one was available in .308 that might get my attention.

·
Vendor
5,592 Posts
Century Arms has the cheapest AKs and I have a few. they are reliable and never jam. AKs are made to be functional and not that accurate as compared to ARs. You can get them for around $350.00. www.jgsales.com has a great veriety of AKs.
Krebs are the best and most expensive but you can try www.ohiorapidfire.com for a nice selection of AKs.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Aks are extremely accurate, its all user fault

unless the barrel is bent, a weapon will always be more accurate than the person shooting it

we had a bunch of guys in the 305th the other day say the same thing "inaccurate" we had them put down their m4s and gave them a few 47s and a few 74s, they hit the same accuracy with both weapons, off hand at 200 meters

as far as aks go for buying id say troll the gun shows and look for a used one, you shouldnt pay more than 450 dollars for any ak

·
Registered
83 Posts
a custom one from some place like primary weapons systems is probably going to be the best you can get. (but they are well over a thousand the last time I talked to that guy) I do highly recommend their muzzle break on any AK. I have some egyptian one that jams every couple mags so bad that I have to wack it on the tailgate to get it to feed... Bent my tailgate too :-?

·
Registered
114 Posts
for AK clones? Vepr and Saiga, i suppose. though you'll have to convert both due to moronic US import rules. Saigas are made at Izmash (home of Kalashnikov, and Molot, where the Veprs are made are renouned for their RPKs)

for the best all-around modified AK design in 7.62x39? Valmet/Sako, Rk62 & Rk95... near impossible to find though.

PS: Century is very hit & miss.

·
Registered
395 Posts
+1 on the Yugo!

I have one and love it.
Am considering another one because of the price. Can be had new in box for under $500. I know where a used/unfired one is for $429. It's tempting me VERY badly!!!

In fact, I may have just talked myself into it....

:lol:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Regardless of price? A Valmet or Galil variant.

With some consideration for price, the Arsenal-built milled receiver models are supposed to be quite nice-around $1100-1200.

I have a preban Chinese (Norinco 56S-1) that I have been pretty happy with.

I tried out a WASR once. It was one trigger-slappin' POS. Cheap though, and I understand upgrading the FCG is rather easy.

I agree with Adosh as far as combat accuracy, but off a bench or from supported positions most AKs don't hold a candle to an AR, M1A, or even a FAL. They are designed to be cheap, simple, and dead reliable, not target rifles. That is the beauty of the design.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What AK should I buy comes up on many forums. Best place to look are the AK forums.
http://www.ak47.net/ & http://www.ak-47.net/

Every time someone tells you that a certain AK is good, someone will say they suck. Like century, a bunch of guys posted they love theirs, I have read other people say anything from century is questionable.

So what is the best AK for the money? That is up to you. The cheap AK rifles are all around the same price (about $300-$400) Some are fine and some will be a headache. Mid range will run you about $500-$600.

If the price doesn't matter and you are looking for quality. Why not get the real deal, a Saiga made at the Izmash Arsenal factory in Russia. They get imported as sporter rifles and are then fitted with US made parts to make them look like traditional AK rifles.
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=229
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=278

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have had a good experience with the Vector AK's. They are not the cheapest but they are not the most expensive either. I used to own one that had a great trigger for an AK. (Some of my friends who own multiple AK's and have built their own even commented on the good trigger.) -The fit and finish were good. It shot well. -It was a good AK but I traded it into a virtually new Para FAL from DSA.

If I was going to get another AK, I would certainly look at Vector again and I would seriously consider an AK from Arsenal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
www.akforum.net the best AK site out there, many threads on this topic. Best bang for the buck does appear to the Yugo's (if you want to buy new) Otherwise you can't go wrong buying used Mac 90, you can find them at decent prices w/out the thumb whole stock at gun shows but the converted ones go very quick when posted online - from what I have seen.

Other options, Vector (5 yr warranty) or Lancaster (Life warranty) both have nice Ak's w/out the steep price tag of Kerbs and Arsenal. Do your research at akforum.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Best I have seen are made at the www.firinglineoklahoma.com in Wyandotte OK. I believe you must supply the furniture but his receivers are not sheet metal they are machined! If you really want one check them out!

·
Registered
43 Posts
there are severl diffrent types of AK's from a bunch of diffrent countries

do you want fixed stock,. side folding,. underfolding,. SBR,. pistol,.. milled,..stamped?

i personally have the following rifles oR kits awaitng build

AKS-74U
AK-105
AKS-74
RPK-74

SLR-106FR
SA-M5

M92
M70B
RPK-47
SAIGA 7.62
KHYBER PASS AK-47
SLR-100H
7.62 KRINK PISTOL

PSL

i still want to get

AK-22
AK-74
SLR-106CR
SLR-107CR
GALIL 308
M76

the Romanian AK's are the least expensive,. they do not have the best fit & finsh most of the time but i never had any problems with mine.

the Yugo's i've hade where pretty well built,. but i did not care for the underfolder and aold it and picked up a fixed stock model later on.

i love my milled guns Arsenal SA-M5 & SLR-100H (Vector) they are the smoothest and best shooting AK's i have

for your first i would say go with a Vector AK from Atlanticfirearms.com
they have a great selection good prices, and are very easy to deal with.

i really can not make any further recomendations until i know more about exactly what you are looking for.

hope it helps

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just looking for a reliable, resaonably accurate (I know AKs are not National Match rifles), autoloader at a price that does not come close to anything made in the US. (Our weapons are very expensive, truth be told).

I've always had an interest in AKs, but never let myself get into them. Now I want one, but anything over $500 is out of the picture. I can't see that any Russian piece is worth that much.

·
Registered
43 Posts
check this place out as well,.. it is all about AK's,. and AK related firearms

http://www.krinkfreak.com/

for under 500,.. that pretty much means you should be looking for a Yugo,. Vector,. or Romanian,.just make sure you can inspect the Romanian before you buy it.

the Romanian i had was a fantastic blaster,..the only reason i sold it was so i could get the money to buy a Milled AK-47,. i might actually buy another when i get home if i can find a decent one.

anyways the Rommy gun will look like a turd when you get it out of the box,. but with a little work you can have it looking nice.

here is a picture of my Rommy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm happy, actually very happy with my VEPR. Great fit and finish, American length of pull for my frame, Russian made, heavier barrel with the RPK receiver, personally I like it better. True you can't customize it much, but personally it doesn't need it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts