FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best group sizes people have gotten so far with their PS90?

W/ my EOtech, I've gotten 1/2" groups of 3 at 50 yards. That's the best group size I've gotten. I haven't tried it at 100 yards yet. I was on a sandbag rest when I did it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Good idea for a thread Ship. I've read some range reports, but I still don't have a good idea of the average accuracy of the PS90 or what its accuracy potential is.

I went to the Shelton public range at Fort Benning today and shot a little more than 200 rounds of SS195LF. I shot from a bench with the just the part of the rifle under the trigger guard resting on a sandbag. It was about 70 degrees with about a 15mph wind coming back at us and to the left. I'd say my average 50 yard 5 shot group measured from center to center with no called flyers was 2 inches. I had one freak 5/8 inch group, the rest measured from 1 1/2 to 3 inches.

This makes almost 500 rounds through the rifle so far. This was the first time shooting the rifle with a 2x20 Compact ACOG on it. I like the ACOG a lot. Besides me, I'd say the biggest hinderance to accuracy now is the long, heavy trigger pull. The first shot of every five shot string seemed like a surprise.

·
Registered
90 Posts
With the BSA 30mm red dot I slapped on, managed to get a 1/2 group with five rounds. One big ragged hole. Usually I run about 1 to 1 1/2 inch depending on how quickly I'm shooting.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got about the same as I posted earlier last week, but off to the right by about 4"...then I realized my rail had come loose a bit. Once it was tightened, right back on target.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've gotten a few 5-shot, ½ inch groups with SS197 @ 50 yards, using the USSS sight, while resting on sandbags. My worst groups @ 50 yards (all of my shooting so far has been at fifty yards...can't really see the target any more at 100 yards) have been in the 3-4 inch size.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Group size in my humble opinion for this type of firearm is not a vary high priority or concern. FNH issued the white reflex sight with general 50 yard sight in range that more than due for anyone. This gun is PDW for large close in work and medium size targets of human size completes the job in first class fassion.

Consistantly hitting apple size targets or six inch steel plates from twenty to one hundred feet is a piece of cake. The PS90 will not split hairs or generate 05. inch groups like your 30-06, its made for multible fast and quick kills shots with no time for micro conparisons or a score card.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, all that is true - but it doesn't stop people here from trying. Much of my shooting has been on sandbags, trying to get the best group I can. Sorry, I can't help it :oops: :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just qualified for duty with my PS90 with a 10" barrel and an Aimpoint COMP3. I was getting 1/2" groups without a bench rest at 50 yards (no time limit). Moving and shooting obviously opened up the group, but all were kill shots. The large field of view of the Aimpoint helped a lot. I doubt I could have been as consistent moving with the stock sight. As of today I can deploy it on the street with SS190. Just loaded up two mags so far. 8)

*I have the standard PS90 changed to a 10" barrel w/ FN flash suppressor, TROS low profile mount, Aimpoint COMP3, TLR-1 tac light w/ remote pressure switch.*

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Procinctu said:
Just qualified for duty with my PS90 with a 10" barrel and an Aimpoint COMP3. I was getting 1/2" groups without a bench rest at 50 yards (no time limit). Moving and shooting obviously opened up the group, but all were kill shots. The large field of view of the Aimpoint helped a lot. I doubt I could have been as consistent moving with the stock sight. As of today I can deploy it on the street with SS190. Just loaded up two mags so far. 8)

*I have the standard PS90 changed to a 10" barrel w/ FN flash suppressor, TROS low profile mount, Aimpoint COMP3, TLR-1 tac light w/ remote pressure switch.*
Awesome setup!

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
I would love to see pictures of the setup. Sounds similar to what I am running with.

Now if I could only shoot straight!

Pressure switch seems to be key. Where do you have yours located? I am a right handed shooter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
At 50 I can get them all inside the black 2" circle on the targets I use. It is amazing when you use the crappy stock site, you can't see the target all that well and you don't even bench rest it that when you bring the target back all the little .224 size holes are touching. It sure does shoot great!

·
Registered
32 Posts
ick said:
I would love to see pictures of the setup. Sounds similar to
what I am running with.

Now if I could only shoot straight!

Pressure switch seems to be key. Where do you have yours located? I am a right handed shooter.

Similar setup. I have the pressure switch in the same location. It is not ideal, but the only real one I have found. I roll my hand in a little bit on the foregrip to get consistent pressure.

I used it recently for an entry serving a search warrant and it worked perfect. Compact profile. Easy to clear rooms with. Switch location was good, but not perfect. No other viable options with the current swith I have.

·
Registered
19 Posts
PS-90 Groups

Sandbag 3/4 at 50, 1" at 100 (No one shooting back)
Standing and walking fast towards the target 2-3" at 50, 5" at 100 (No one shooting back.

I've seen a guy shoot 8" at 60 yards with people shooting back at him and the guy was closing on the bad guys. The shooter had recently converted from an MP-5 in 9mm and a Sig in .357. I was very impressed with his performance which caused me to buy my PS-90 and Five seveN pistols.

Btw the way the gov. shooter carried 1400 rounds as his standard tactical load. Had ten 50 round P-90 mags, 12 Five seveN 30 round mags, a 20 round mag in each of the two Five Seven pistols that he carried and a zip up molle pack with about 400 to 500 round of spare ammo.

This gov. guy had obvoiusly run out of ammo before!

C9A1

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Bench rest, SS197, 50 yards, slow fire, 1/2 inch 5 shot group. Same ammo/distance, Off hand, quick fire 3/4 inch.

Bench rest, SS195LF, 100 yards, slow fire 1 1/2 inch 5 shot.

Went through 150 round that day, Swabbed the bore once during firing. Standard PS90 white ring sight, slightly overcast, zero wind and I had zero coffee that morning.

At 25 yards I only shoot off hand, 5 paper plates (cheap targets, that are about the size of a mans head) placed 3 to 5 feet apart, quick fire. 25 rounds, all hits.

That was a great day at the range.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts