FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the deal with the FNS prices? They seem to be all over the place. Oddly enough, GunBroker has the best deals. I'm thinking about picking one up, but am just wondering what's up with the pricing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Seems strange to me too. I know I see them on there below LE price, below FNH match participant pricing and below distributor pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
My LGS finally dropped the price to just over $500 on the black one's. I've seen them below $450 online a couple of times.

FN did cut the MSRP on the black ones by $100, but it seems some shops were a little slow to follow, while others were ahead of the game.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I picked a new 9mm two-tone up at the last gun show here in Savannah for $399.00. I already have an FNX45 and FNS9, but I simply couldn't pass up the price.

..Joe

·
Registered
43 Posts
I picked my FNS 9mm fro Grabagun.com a couple weeks ago for 430.00 including shipping

·
Registered
6 Posts
I picked a new 9mm two-tone up at the last gun show here in Savannah for $399.00. I already have an FNX45 and FNS9, but I simply couldn't pass up the price.

..Joe
Wow! That's an awesome deal. I wouldn't have passed up that deal either. Two tone even:) I got mine (all black) for around $434.00. I'm really happy with it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I recently won a GunBroker auction for a two-tone FNS-9 with night sights for $389. I was extremely pleased with that purchase and I love the feel of the gun. Truthfully, I was a bit concerned about the FNS due to the gritty triggers some posters have complained about. After handling some FNS-40s at a local shop, and reading Redbeard's excellent post on smoothing the trigger, I decided to go ahead and take a chance. Fortunately, mine came in with a great trigger. It is smooth and grit free. I also have a new Smith M&P 9 that is pretty gritty and will need some work. My FNS-9 will need none.

Yeah, the prices on FNS are all over the board. Shop wisely.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a feeling it's a few of things.

1. Dealers who paid more for them before the price drop want to make their money back. No one wants to eat something they've purchased for resale just because the manufacturer cut the price after the fact.

2. Online retailers typically get bulk orders and prices from manufacturers. If you called up FN and wanted 200 FNS pistols, they'd talk turkey with you too. Buy more, buy cheaper.

3. Online retailers will typically take a small loss to make a sale, especially considering very few people go to an online retailer and buy just a firearm. There's always the add-ins on the order like a box or two of ammo, a couple extra mags, a cleaning kit, a holster or two, etc. Whatever they eat on the pistol, they make back on the extras. It also isn't uncommon to see guns fifty or so dollars cheaper online so that it looks like a really good deal to buy it there instead of your LGS...until you tack on the FFL transfer fee so that they make something for all the guns people are buying online and shipping to them. I've seen plenty of guys who won't buy a blessed thing from their LGS, then piss and moan when they have to pay a FFL transfer fee for their Pistol-of-the-Week purchase from CheapGunsOnline.web because he won't do the transfer for free or give him a fistful of money for said gun three weeks from now when the new has worn off of it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, I can tell you what the dealer told me:
He stated that FN offered a special deal- if they bought 5, they got the 6th free. They took the total investment for the 5 guns and spread it across the 6 so that they could offer a lower price for all of them. So, for example: Even if their cost was 399 for 5 pistols, with the 6th free, their average cost was 332.50. So if they sold them all for 399, they still made 66.50 per gun, or 399.00.

Now, I don't know what they paid of course, so I this is all conjecture, but in this economy, it makes sense to have the best price you can, when you can.

..Joe

·
Registered
90 Posts

1. Dealers who paid more for them before the price drop want to make their money back. No one wants to eat something they've purchased for resale just because the manufacturer cut the price after the fact.

2. Online retailers typically get bulk orders and prices from manufacturers. If you called up FN and wanted 200 FNS pistols, they'd talk turkey with you too. Buy more, buy cheaper.

3. Online retailers will typically take a small loss to make a sale, especially considering very few people go to an online retailer and buy just a firearm. There's always the add-ins on the order like a box or two of ammo, a couple extra mags, a cleaning kit, a holster or two, etc. Whatever they eat on the pistol, they make back on the extras. It also isn't uncommon to see guns fifty or so dollars cheaper online so that it looks like a really good deal to buy it there instead of your LGS...until you tack on the FFL transfer fee so that they make something for all the guns people are buying online and shipping to them. I've seen plenty of guys who won't buy a blessed thing from their LGS, then piss and moan when they have to pay a FFL transfer fee for their Pistol-of-the-Week purchase from CheapGunsOnline.web because he won't do the transfer for free or give him a fistful of money for said gun three weeks from now when the new has worn off of it.
When did fn lower their prices, and did they do ton the scar?

·
Registered
55 Posts

When I was looking for an FNS-9, two of the three local gun shops that I deal with mostly had several FNS guns in stock but only in .40 caliber. One had a black slide model for $419 and I asked if he could order a 9mm for that price. After almost ten minutes and three of them looking at the dealer prices they came back and said they couldn't find why that .40 was that inexpensive. They said a new black slide model would cost them $456. The other shop had five FNS on the shelf, four of them LEO only and one civilian model, but all in .40 caliber. That's when I started looking at GunBroker. The FN website mentioned they had dropped the black slide price by $100 but the local dealers, or at least the on-duty counter staff, didn't know about it.

The prices will likely stabilize, but who knows at what level.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just picked up a black FNS40 for for $420. shipped. Can't beat that with a stick. Wish the offered them in FDE like the FNX 45...I might buy 2 :)
Pricing boils down to supply and demand. I see the FN pistols as somewhat under recognized for the value they are. If they were selling fast, prices would go up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just as an FYI, if you want to see a movie with the most FNS exposure, watch "Knight and Day" with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. His weapon of choice throughout the whole movie is a two-tone FNS.

And Cameron Diaz still looks great in a bikini.

And the pristine 442 is nice to look at as well.

..Joe

·
Registered
21,553 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just as an FYI, if you want to see a movie with the most FNS exposure, watch "Knight and Day" with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. His weapon of choice throughout the whole movie is a two-tone FNS.

And Cameron Diaz still looks great in a bikini.

And the pristine 442 is nice to look at as well.

..Joe
GI Joe: Retaliation. FNX pistols all over the place.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I've wondered if it's just a smart marketing ploy by FN...if the market gets saturated with them, the more people use them, and the more popular they get...sort of a mass exposure to the market. I mean, Glocks are everywhere...getting the numbers out there may be just what it needs to gain in popularity. This would also help to get more holsters and aftermarket parts made for them. I'd like to see the market flooded with them !

1 - 20 of 31 Posts