FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good afternoon. See intro thread here: http://fnforum.net/forums/welcome/54609-hello-phx-az.html

I just started my FDE 17S journey/hunt so I have no idea when the last time FDE's were available in abundance. I've read through the entire forum and I see hints of activity, but not enough to figure out any pattern. How long am I looking at waiting if I want a NIB FDE from a reputable online seller in the $2600-$2800 range? Weeks? A month? 6+ months? If we're talking weeks to maybe a month to month and a half I can wait. If we're talking 6+ months I may just bite the bullet and pay gunbroker prices, especially if the big online sellers jump up to GB prices themselves once they get inventory.

P.S. I know these posts are parasitic by nature. I promise to post pics and meaningful info once I actually find my unicorn. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
If your willing to pay around $3k you could probably get one within a month or so. The FDE slowly trickles out to market. You prob won't see them 'in abundance' for a while. Especially, in the $2,600-$2,800 price range.

Just keep in touch with your local gun stores. Never know when you'll get lucky!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your willing to pay around $3k you could probably get one within a month or so. The FDE slowly trickles out to market. You prob won't see them 'in abundance' for a while. Especially, in the $2,600-$2,800 price range.

Just keep in touch with your local gun stores. Never know when you'll get lucky!
I've called my favorite LGS's. They can get me a black 17S or either 16S. They said they see so few FDE 17S they don't even keep a waitlist, because it would never get fulfilled. They've all basically told me to just keep checking back and hope I get lucky.

·
Banned
138 Posts
Plenty of black 17's and 16's out there, heck my LGS is selling the black 17S for $2500 right now. The last two FDE 17's I saw sell locally went for over $3K.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I wonder if its too much demand or not enough supply when it comes to the FDE variant.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Swampmonger,

Scottsdale Gun Club has a Black one in stock, but $2999.00, at their website, you can be put on the "Notify" list at the same price. At one point I was on the notify list for a 16s and they actually sent me the notice. At no cost, it can't hurt and you "might" (but probably not) get lucky.

Best of luck

·
Registered
139 Posts
I went down to the LGS and he put my name on a waiting list for a FDE 17 but who knows. I found my FDE 16 on AR15 for $2100, but trying to find a FDE 17 is becoming so damn hard. I think for 2 reasons, FDE is just a popular color because the military uses them and its the "Hottness" right now. Also the whole SCAR/SOCOM program, the 16's got shut down SOCOM didnt want them but they did and do want the 17's. I've seen a few other countries using the FDE 17's so I think FN is filling those orders placed by Military contracts first which has slowed down civilian production for the time being. Seems like as soon as I see a FDE 17 on gunbroker its gone just as fast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I looked for a 17 in FDE for a long time, but just refused to pay those kind of prices. I ended up buying a black one and love it. I will try to get one in FDE eventually maybe, but I'm really liking my black one. I did buy the 16 in FDE, so that helped maybe ;) I was just worried we were going to have another panic and all the black 17's were going to become unavailable. I just didn't want to take the chance. Good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Having no good "local" gun store, I check Bud's fairly often to see what's available. Here's what I have found:

- For many months now, they have almost always had black 16s and 17s in stock at non-inflated prices.
- Occasionally (once a month?) a 16s will show up in FDE, but won't last long. The price is usually very close to the black one.
- I have seen a 17s in FDE twice within the last year, again priced close to the black one. Both of them evaporated from the web site like drops of water on a hot skillet.

I don't spend every minute monitoring this, so odds are that there have been many others that showed up for a few minutes. Using Bud's wish list notification feature is useless for this because it only kicks in a long time after the item first appears, which is far too late to catch an elusive FDE.

·
Registered
604 Posts
If tan is that necessary for you, buy a black one, then rattle can it FDE. It's what the pros do, just put SOCOM on the can of paint.
Say it with Krylon. If you want a longer lasting finish, take it to a 'smith and have him duracoat or cerakote it FDE.

Reactions: B0308

·
Registered
36 Posts
OK so I'm new to this system. I ordered the black 17 from Buds last weekend and am waiting for it to show at my FFL. Is there some unwritten rule that would revoke my man card if I were to add the FDE buttstock, grip and handguard panels to my rifle to give it that mixed effect? Fact is I had the funds and thought it best to get it now...I try not to be a leg humper but I didn't want to miss a prime opportunity...so I jumped :wink:

·
Registered
671 Posts
They should just stop making black ones and produce only FDE.
At the very least they should make more FDE than black. I wanted an FDE but bought a black and I'm happy with it and don't think too much about color now... If I bought a second I'd want FDE, if I bought a 3rd i think I'd get it hydro dipped in multicam with FDE grip & rail covers...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At the very least they should make more FDE than black. I wanted an FDE but bought a black and I'm happy with it and don't think too much about color now... If I bought a second I'd want FDE, if I bought a 3rd i think I'd get it hydro dipped in multicam with FDE grip & rail covers...
I plan the opposite. If the 17S works out like I hope it does I do plan to get two. The second will be whatever color I can find at the best price. I do, however, want my first to be FDE. I'm willing to wait a little while for it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts