FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sister-in-law is looking for a SIG P226 and threaded barrel for her husband (advice on which model and where to buy also welcome) and I recommended the osprey 45 or Octane 45. Are those the top tier cans these days? Any others she should consider? Also please recommend a couple reputable dealers.
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
Silncershop. I would go with either one of those two that you listed.

·
Registered
841 Posts
agreed, Silencershop for sure. Gun Silencers For Sale :: Buy a Silencer Online For Pistol or Rifle

Prices there were so low that I could literally afford two silencers for the same price as my local store wanted for one of them (excluding the extra stamp). both low prices, amazing customer service (and responsiveness) and no sales tax (if you're not in texas).

And while I'm all about supporting local, my local dealer actually came out ahead here too. He said he made as much on the transfer fees as he would have made on the sale of a silencer to me (and that's not even being anywhere close to SilencerShop's prices), so he actually profited more in the long run from me ordering 3 silencers instead of 2 from him!

(not to mention every time I came in to do paperwork, etc, I end up buying some accessory or ammo or something else shiny!)

as to the choice -- I got the Octane. Several advantages IMO -- able to be disassembled, slightly better noise reduction, shape is more conducive to pistol platform SBR use.

The only advantage of the Osprey AFAIK is that due to the unique shape you don't need raised sights to use it.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
The Osprey is designed with an offset axis so you do not have to replace the standard sights the come on most pistols and put tall ones on to see over the can. The Octane would likely require a changout on the Sig. The Octane seems to be the forum preference when the debate arises between the two. I believe it can be taken apart and cleaned where the Osprey cannot. This may or may not be important depending on how much it is used. KTK is right about the Silencer Shop. You may want to look at the AAC offerings. They did have a special going on that if you bought one of theirs, they would pay for the tax stamp. Not sure on the end date for that special.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
you might check to see what STRYKER ENTERPRISES has in stock....I got some real nice cans from him....good pricing too:)

Sister-in-law is looking for a SIG P226 and threaded barrel for her husband (advice on which model and where to buy also welcome) and I recommended the osprey 45 or Octane 45. Are those the top tier cans these days? Any others she should consider? Also please recommend a couple reputable dealers.
Thanks!

·
Registered
876 Posts
I would recommend the Octane 45 HD over the Osprey....The Octane is so much easer to clean since you can take it apart. Both are excellent.
Osprey 45 - Pro's -- On pistols you shouldn't find a gun where the sights are obscured by it. Also looks like an extension of most pistols.
Osprey 45 - Con's -- Hard to clean and IMHO looks kinda strange on rifles.

Octane 45 - Pro's -- Super easy to clean, shooting it wet is no big deal since it's so easy to clean. I think like $10 cheaper...
Octane 45 - Con's -- Looks like your standard suppressor, some handguns may have sights obscured.

Basicly I would say if you are going to use the suppressor only on handguns and shoot it dry....go with the Osprey 45 (looks cool)..if you plan on using the suppressor on rifles and handguns and want to shoot wet go with the Octane 45.

P.S. Anyone wanting to shoot suppressors "WET" I've found the best solution. Ultrasound Gel and 6CC syringe's. I put the gel in the syringes and put the plastic cap on them. I toss them in my range bag and when I'm done I usually throw the syringe away. (Don't forget syringe's don't have needles twisted on. you can twist on the end cap they come with, an IV tube, etc) I tried everything from water to wire pulling gel to oils......Got the idea from my sister who is a veterinarian. (FYI she does NOT shoot animals!)

Amazon.com: Kendall Monoject 6Cc Syringe Only Luer Lok - Box of 50 - Model 8881516937: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Aquasonic 100 Ultrasound Gel - Parker Laboratories - 8.5 oz Tube - (Pack of 3): Health & Personal Care

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
the guy that I found to do my transfers hates silencer shop cause of them screwing up eform so charges more. I found capitolarmory.com ordered octane 9 about month ago and it should be in this week

·
Registered
27 Posts
agreed, Silencershop for sure. Gun Silencers For Sale :: Buy a Silencer Online For Pistol or Rifle

Prices there were so low that I could literally afford two silencers for the same price as my local store wanted for one of them (excluding the extra stamp). both low prices, amazing customer service (and responsiveness) and no sales tax (if you're not in texas).

And while I'm all about supporting local, my local dealer actually came out ahead here too. He said he made as much on the transfer fees as he would have made on the sale of a silencer to me (and that's not even being anywhere close to SilencerShop's prices), so he actually profited more in the long run from me ordering 3 silencers instead of 2 from him!

(not to mention every time I came in to do paperwork, etc, I end up buying some accessory or ammo or something else shiny!)

as to the choice -- I got the Octane. Several advantages IMO -- able to be disassembled, slightly better noise reduction, shape is more conducive to pistol platform SBR use.

The only advantage of the Osprey AFAIK is that due to the unique shape you don't need raised sights to use it.
Odd, I used Silencershop Direct - which cost an extra $70 or $270 - but that covers shipping and transfer fees including my local dealer so I will not owe any more $$ when i go pick it up in 9 months :|

1 - 17 of 17 Posts