FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always heard of accidental discharge stories from professionals and committed by professionals and we often think "it would never happen to me". I wonder if any of you have first hand experience with any of these expensive/painful lessons and what was the situation that led to the incident? Did you ever think that it would "never happen to you", before it actually did?

How bad was it and how did it change your life after? Did it really make you more safe than you thought you already were? How did you cope?

·
Registered
208 Posts
One time. Was using a KelTec RFB (.308). I had what appeared to be a stuck case, so I racked it back to try and clear and it and off it went. Fortunately, I had done all the right things, safely pointed up and way, no one around, but it really startled the crap out of me. It was a very good/sobering reminder of why we do what we do to be safe.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One time. Was using a KelTec RFB (.308). I had what appeared to be a stuck case, so I racked it back to try and clear and it and off it went. Fortunately, I had done all the right things, safely pointed up and way, no one around, but it really startled the crap out of me. It was a very good/sobering reminder of why we do what we do to be safe.
Did this happen in the house? What scares me is the thought that one day I make a stupid mistake with my kids around. It's my biggest fear. I'm glad that I still have that fear though, because as soon as I start taking things for granted, you'll never know what i end up neglecting.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nope, at the range. So in that case, I was very fortunate. It wasn't costly, or painful - but a bit frightening. Discharged up into the roof of the shooting shelter. We always have little ones running around and we're always teach safety. You can't ever go back in time if things go south. We always reinforce the never point at something you do not plan to shoot rule, because everything is loaded, even if you think it isn't.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Most expensive lesson we have all learned;

Stay away from crazy women.

Find the gems, instead.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
My son and I were on the firing line of an indoor range. There was a table behind us. A shooter, who had finished shooting was packing up his handguns and ammo behind us on that table. I heard a discharge behind me. I turned around, and saw this guy holding a smoking Beretta 9mm. He had that I-can't-believe-what-just-happend look.

He had thought he had cleared his handgun, and then actually pulled the trigger to verify it. Thank God he at least pointed his handgun into the trash can.

Chills

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My son and I were on the firing line of an indoor range. There was a table behind us. A shooter, who had finished shooting was packing up his handguns and ammo behind us on that table. I heard a discharge behind me. I turned around, and saw this guy holding a smoking Beretta 9mm. He had that I-can't-believe-what-just-happend look.

He had thought he had cleared his handgun, and then actually pulled the trigger to verify it. Thank God he at least pointed his handgun into the trash can.

Chills
that did give me chills! did LE get involved?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
No.
Everyone was stunned. He quickly packed his gun bag and left. The first thing that goes through your mind is:
  • is my son ok?, followed by:
  • am I ok?
We all just watched him leave the range.

·
Registered
703 Posts

Chills
Ever want to punch somebody just because if the gun wasn't pointed in a "NY Safe" direction he could have taken someone's life?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Took a new handgun out to the range and let off a string and got the slide to lockup. Thinking I had just shot the last round I turned and walked back to my bench with my gun to my side pointed to the ground. Pulled the trigger to verify empty chamber - still pointing down next to my foot. Bang. My horrible habit of dry firing verification has been corrected from that day forth. I just looked at my foot and the dimple on the ground next to it.

I packed up my gear and went home with that horrible feeling to this day...

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I can always think of a thousand things I would have done, after the fact. But when you have your son with you, and you are not even sure if he has been shot, it's different.

Believe it or not, one of the feelings I had for the guy with the half sized brain and full sized handgun was pity. I actually remember feeling sorry for him. I could see the tremendous remorse in his face. It was odd.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Most costly mistake was marrying a crazy women. I don't know if this is a mistake but I wear kevlar to indoor shooting ranges with metal back-stops. I was at a local range with my father and I was shooting a 9mm and he was shooting a .45 ACP in the next lane. One of his .45 bullets came back and hit me in the shoulder. Bullet fell to the ground. We were both shocked and decided to pack it in. When I got back to my dads house we were telling my mother the story and she said "is that why you're bleeding?" I looked at my shoulder and realized the copper jacket penetrated my shirt and into my shoulder. It was just a little fragment and I pulled it out with my finger nail, it scared the crap out of me. To this day I love to tell the story of how my father shot me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most costly mistake was marrying a crazy women. I don't know if this is a mistake but I wear kevlar to indoor shooting ranges with metal back-stops. I was at a local range with my father and I was shooting a 9mm and he was shooting a .45 ACP in the next lane. One of his .45 bullets came back and hit me in the shoulder. Bullet fell to the ground. We were both shocked and decided to pack it in. When I got back to my dads house we were telling my mother the story and she said "is that why you're bleeding?" I looked at my shoulder and realized the copper jacket penetrated my shirt and into my shoulder. It was just a little fragment and I pulled it out with my finger nail, it scared the crap out of me. To this day I love to tell the story of how my father shot me.

OMG Justin! That is horrible. It's someone else's mistake though, not yours. you were right got wear kevlar. The worst part is telling mom really, and the chills that come with the thought of "what if?".

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

Chills
And where's the RCO during all of this?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had a negligent discharge in the house when I was younger. Scared the **** out of everyone, fortunately it went right into a ceiling joist. I would have to say my most expensive mistakes have been made in motor-sports. You start tossing cars into a barrier on track and it gets real expensive real fast.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I took a chick out to shoot my sig 556. We burned through 300 rounds of ammo, she dropped it, classic stock broke, had to wait for a year for parts spent over 200 fixing it and doesnt have classic look anymore, and didnt get some

1 - 20 of 42 Posts