FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...I've been lurking on here for a bit and just received my PS90. Trouble is, I bought a USG black reticle at the same time from a different source based on all the negative comments I've read here concerning the "white" reticle unit.

I have had the rifle in most every light condition I can create and I think it works quite well! Does this mean there is something wrong with me?

Anybody else like the original sight?

Oh, I LOVE this rifle too! : :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
I'm confused. Do you have the white or black reticule?

I have the "original" white. It's very hard to see in bright sunny conditions. Other than that, I have no problem with it. I love the tritium night sight aspect of it.
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
If you have the white ringed sight, it isn't very good.

The black ringed sight is very nice. But, I believe an after market sight is a bit better. But, it may not be worth spending tons of cash if you like the black ringed sight.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
5,658 Posts
The white ring sight is hard to see (invisible) in low light but the trinium kicks in in total darkness. It is GREAT outdoors. All sights have some flaw ie. You can't see iron sights in very low light or darkness.
The Black sight is much better but it costs an arm and a leg. I like the white myself.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
75 Posts
Back-up Sights

It probably pays to mention that the PS90 with the black or white ring sight has back-up iron sights cast into the aluminum receiver on either side of the ring sight. No kidding, take a look, they are there! Not a great sight radius, but sufficent for back-up purposes.
To my knowledge, the iron sights do not exist on the tri-rail model however.
I use the white right sight on my rifle, but have tried the Eotech and Trijicon sights as well with great success. I like them all, but have never had a black ring sight model for comparison.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,557 Posts
Re: Back-up Sights

mpftech said:
It probably pays to mention that the PS90 with the black or white ring sight has back-up iron sights cast into the aluminum receiver on either side of the ring sight. No kidding, take a look, they are there! Not a great sight radius, but sufficent for back-up purposes.
To my knowledge, the iron sights do not exist on the tri-rail model however.
I use the white right sight on my rifle, but have tried the Eotech and Trijicon sights as well with great success. I like them all, but have never had a black ring sight model for comparison.
If the black ringed version had been our when I bought mine - I MIGHT have bought that, and not gone with the Eotech. It would have been nice to save the $300 + the price of the rails, and having to deal with batteries. But, that's neither here nor there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I have zero problem seing the white rings so to me there is nothing wrong with that sight.I just shot a local three gun match and finished first in rifle class using my PS90 beating all the other AR's and M1A's with optics. We had 8" steel targets all the way to 150 yds and it was a piece of cake. There were 19 other shooters and a few of them wanted to buy my PS90 so I told them to get their own. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
spartan said:
I have zero problem seing the white rings so to me there is nothing wrong with that sight.I just shot a local three gun match and finished first in rifle class using my PS90 beating all the other AR's and M1A's with optics. We had 8" steel targets all the way to 150 yds and it was a piece of cake. There were 19 other shooters and a few of them wanted to buy my PS90 so I told them to get their own. :D
Awesome!

Good to hear!

Congrats on the win!

:shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
I am sure that if I switched to an after-market sight I may change my opinion on the white sights, but I don't mind the OEM sight at all. I practiced using that sight after competing in a IDPA match. Works for me. That was in a bright light condition, if I was in a low light/total dark scenario, that's what my laser site is for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
I'm confused... at least two folks in this thread have used the word tritium to describe the white ring sight. My understanding was the white ring sight only uses ambient light and has no power source (tritium).

I bought the PS90 with the USG sight because the white ring model was hard to pick up in the gun store. Can't imagine using it in real world conditions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
Actually, the tritium lit reticle is very bright on mine.
I fact, sometimes I can see it during the daytime.

At night, I look over at my PS90 nd I can see the red glow coming from the window area of the sight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,557 Posts
Turbozag said:
Actually, the tritium lit reticle is very bright on mine.
I fact, sometimes I can see it during the daytime.

At night, I look over at my PS90 nd I can see the red glow coming from the window area of the sight.
Then U are a lucky one. Mine hardly lights up in even a dark room.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
One thing to keep in mind that whether it has a white reticle or black reticle, the tritium in those sights has a half-life of around 8 to 10 years. For those who don't know much about half-lifes, in the case of tritium, after the first 8 to 10 years, the tritium will be half as bright as it used to be. After the next 8 to 10 years, the tritium again will be half as bright as before. This cycle will keep on repeating itself forever.

Both the white-reticle and the black-reticle sights are considered throw-away units since the cost of replacing the tritium will be about as much as buying a new sight.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but only to point out the facts about tritium.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
The_Real_McCoy said:
One thing to keep in mind that whether it has a white reticle or black reticle, the tritium in those sights has a half-life of around 8 to 10 years. For those who don't know much about half-lifes, in the case of tritium, after the first 8 to 10 years, the tritium will be half as bright as it used to be. After the next 8 to 10 years, the tritium again will be half as bright as before. This cycle will keep on repeating itself forever.

Both the white-reticle and the black-reticle sights are considered throw-away units since the cost of replacing the tritium will be about as much as buying a new sight.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but only to point out the facts about tritium.
The black ret. sight doesn't have tritium, and its construction is superior to that of the white ret. plastic unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
395 Posts
The black ret. sight doesn't have tritium, and its construction is superior to that of the white ret. plastic unit.
Yes, the black reticle USG sight does have tritium too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,479 Posts
I didn't think my white one had tritium when I first got it. Then someone here told me to take it into a very dark room. Then I could see it. Mine will not show up in a dimly lit room inside or at dusk outside.

If I used it as a survival rifle and used my white ring sight, I would have to use iron sights at dawn and dusk.

TA
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top