FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a trend in the AR world for some time to make slim, ergonomic forends that only had a top rail and left the rest of the forend smooth for a gripping surface(Troy, PRI, Apex, ect). I would love to see something like this for the SCAR so I can run my 17S a little more comfortably to try some 3 Gun Heavy Metal type shooting with it without reaching around a huge section of covered rails in the front..

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Some people have removed the side rails and run it that way. Maybe try it out? I find the scar to be rather easy to hold on to while using a stubby as a hands top of sorts.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some people have removed the side rails and run it that way. Maybe try it out? I find the scar to be rather easy to hold on to while using a stubby as a hands top of sorts.
I am hoping for an extension that would follow the shape of the receiver out another 4-6 inches but without the side and bottom rails like the Troy Extreme Rail on my 308 AR carbine.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Yeah, I have looked at it but I don't really like it very much. If they had made it a longer one piece unit instead of cobbling together a bunch of pieces and an extension and made it slimmer to follow the lines of the receiver it would already be on my SCAR despite the fact that it's just heavy sheet metal bent in a brake.

I might end up going with the VLTOR unit if nobody decides to machine or extrude something from aluminum that actually matches the SCAR.

If any of the rail extension systems for the SCAR were solid under the rails I would just buy one and machine off the rails I didn't need and call it a day but I haven't seen one like that yet.

Something like thing the MI rail but smooth everywhere but the top rail with mounting holes or keymod slots on the sides and bottom would be perfect but as you can see the area directly inside from the rail protrudes in an effort to lighten the rail system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts