FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I've had my PS90 for five years. I filed my Form 1 in August 2020 when it seemed likely to me that Trump would lose reelection, and received my approved tax stamp from BATFE in June 2021. I drilled out the blind pin and used a Capri wrench and dowel to remove the barrel, shroud, and spring, then had the serialized frame engraved. My goal is to run a SilencerCo Sparrow off the completed SBR.

Meanwhile, where the heck are the CMMG barrels? I'm in WA state where it's too specialized a product for any LGS. Everywhere online seems to be either sold out or asking a king's ransom for them...or both! I have been patient for a long time, but that patience is dwindling. Does anyone have any tips? I was able to get the thread adapter, so that's done at least.

My apologies if I'm the third guy this week who's asked about this.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing, actually. I assume it's just the state of the market right now, and hopefully will correct itself at some point.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’m going to catch so much grief for this since his reputation’s taken a beating among the SCAR community here but try

Stryker Enterprises

I know it says available for back order with a 10 week lead. That’s exactly what it said when I ordered mine. It shipped the very next day. And the quality is top notch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ve been looking for the past two months. One was on gunbroker with no bids. I was watching and planned on bidding at last hour. It got removed two days early. I messaged seller and he said he sold locally. Finally found someone else selling a barrel with mags and a brake and I messaged and offered to just buy the barrel. We made a deal. But other than that they’ve been scarce.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for confirming that the barrels are indeed scarce.

I have considered TROS as an alternative, but Mark's policy about needing an FFL intermediary in my state just to ship the barrel has put me off somewhat. I can't find any paperwork from my purchase in 2017 and would rather not create another paper trail or pay our punitive sales tax just to claim a barrel for a weapon that I am already licensed to own.

I appreciate all the suggestions I've received and welcome more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks guys for confirming that the barrels are indeed scarce.

I have considered TROS as an alternative, but Mark's policy about needing an FFL intermediary in my state just to ship the barrel has put me off somewhat. I can't find any paperwork from my purchase in 2017 and would rather not create another paper trail or pay our punitive sales tax just to claim a barrel for a weapon that I am already licensed to own.

I appreciate all the suggestions I've received and welcome more.
Have you contacted CMMG and asked them if they plan on making more?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you contacted CMMG and asked them if they plan on making more?
No, but I did go to CMMG's website, clicked to the barrel's product page, clicked to add the backorder to my cart, and then navigated away.

The market signal I am sending: I am interested in buying your product. You should make more of it. I will not tolerate placing an order on the promise that you may ship sometime in the next several years. Fix it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, but I did go to CMMG's website, clicked to the barrel's product page, clicked to add the backorder to my cart, and then navigated away.

The market signal I am sending: I am interested in buying your product. You should make more of it. I will not tolerate placing an order on the promise that you may ship sometime in the next several years. Fix it.
Yea I thought about placing a back order but had no idea when they would ever fulfill that order. I just bought my PS90 in December so I’m not well versed in the aftermarket support for the rifle nowadays, and thought I may be waiting a while and chose the secondary market instead.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got mine direct from CMMG recently. Took about 3-4 months from when I originally placed my back order. Waiting to get one from CMMG is also the cheapest option. I was willing to wait instead of over pay from second hand sellers.

Reactions: JC507JC

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got mine direct from CMMG recently. Took about 3-4 months from when I originally placed my back order. Waiting to get one from CMMG is also the cheapest option. I was willing to wait instead of over pay from second hand sellers.
Nice. Wish I had asked on here like he did. If I had known they were still filling back orders I may have waited, but just couldn’t find much info online about anything recent.

oh well, I overpaid for sure, but what’s done is done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi folks, I've had my PS90 for five years. I filed my Form 1 in August 2020 when it seemed likely to me that Trump would lose reelection, and received my approved tax stamp from BATFE in June 2021. I drilled out the blind pin and used a Capri wrench and dowel to remove the barrel, shroud, and spring, then had the serialized frame engraved. My goal is to run a SilencerCo Sparrow off the completed SBR.

Meanwhile, where the heck are the CMMG barrels? I'm in WA state where it's too specialized a product for any LGS. Everywhere online seems to be either sold out or asking a king's ransom for them...or both! I have been patient for a long time, but that patience is dwindling. Does anyone have any tips? I was able to get the thread adapter, so that's done at least.

[/Q
UOTE. You can try classic firearms online they have quite a bit of stuff there good luck

·
Registered
372 Posts
CMMG isn't a backorder, they're a build to order company. If you order from them you'll have it 3-4 months later like another user here said. Mark at TROS does amazing work, too, though, and he's quick. There's very little reason not to just have him cut your 16 inch barrel. Even if you have to go through an FFL (is that some weird issue in your state?) It'll still be the fastest option by far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
CMMG isn't a backorder, they're a build to order company. If you order from them you'll have it 3-4 months later like another user here said. Mark at TROS does amazing work, too, though, and he's quick. There's very little reason not to just have him cut your 16 inch barrel. Even if you have to go through an FFL (is that some weird issue in your state?) It'll still be the fastest option by far.
I've also seen the 10.5 inch barrel on gunbroker for like 250$

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are the reasons why I'm not a fan of the FFL option, in increasing order:
1. Punitive local 10.1% sales tax rate which would apply even though I'm buying from a no sales tax state.
2. $40 transfer fee at the LGS which would apply despite the barrel not being the serialized firearm.
3. The principle of it just being a barrel, which makes TROS's policy stricter than the law requires.
4. Creating another paper record for Washington State government bureaucracy. Our AG Bob Ferguson is a rabid antigunner who wants to ban semiauto rifles (carbines) and will probably be our governor down the road. I acknowledge that I'm on the grid with existing NFA paperwork, but I'll be honest with you that I'm far less concerned about BATFE than I am about state officials, since the Republican minority is nearly powerless to stop them.

·
Registered
3 Posts

You should check with a local gunsmith. I had my factory PS90 cut down and threaded for the CMMG adapter so that I cab run a Gemtech Patrolman. No problem whatsover. $200.

·
FN Supporter
436 Posts
Just as an FYI TROS doesn't require an FFL for just threading a barrel. That said, you would be well advised NOT to have the short barrel and an empty receiver without an approved F1 or F4 to avoid any potential constructive possession issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts