FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LEO friend looking to purchase a case of SS198, where is the best place to send him?

Web or Phone # is fine.

thanks

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
ok i`m lost here if the ss198 is basically a ss195 LF with higher muzzle velocity, why is restricted by FN? I mean its not ball ammo, and I doesn`t penetrate duty vests.

A new cartridge that is being planned for release. Current information indicates the SS198 will be identical to SS195LF but loaded for a higher muzzle velocity to boost the penetration in soft tissue. It will be restricted by FN Herstal (not by the BATFE) for sale/distribution to law enforcement and military customers as a duty cartridge.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
:cry: thats a shame.....

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
it really is I really like the ss195 round over the ss197, but I also heard mixed reviews on the shelf life of ss195. I also seen on this forum a rep from FN stating the ammo does not go bad, and now there is a even better round then the ss195 that isnt a reload the ss198. Its nearly one dollar a bullet on gunbroker which really sucks, because it seems to be a kick out round that isn`t the ss190 at all. FNH is only protecting themselves because a-hole demo`s who want to make anything that goes boom illegal which is total f*cked up. :!:

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
i agree with workingman....i dont have to worry about shelf life really because i go through ammo pretty quick, but i make sure to stock back up in an event of a zombie attack. 8)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was told by a rep, that the ammo still has a great shelf like. The example he gave was "regular ammo has a shelf life of about 100 years this LF 195 198 stuff should be about half that "

so I was told.

maybe he was just trying to sell ammo. If they could at least garantee a 20 year life that would be good enough for me.

Hell even 10 year life would be good, 5 would be about right for me, since I have been shooting alot and don't buy more than 3K.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
i got a lot of ss195 as long as it doesnt go bad for several years i`m ok with it. I just dont want some bad ammo in the long run when you want to shoot it or need it. As far as the ss198 its basically ss195 with more of a punch. I dont see why its being restricted that doesnt make since. FN would make alot of money releasing it to the general public the round is pretty much the same as the ss195. I only thing I can see to why they are not releasing it is to stop selling ss915, and only have ss197 for the general public. That would make sense if they only wanted civies with fivesevens to have one type of factory ammo so they press doesnt jump all over them for making quote unquote ap rounds (bullsh*t)

·
Registered
148 Posts
BPx69 said:
I was told by a rep, that the ammo still has a great shelf like. The example he gave was "regular ammo has a shelf life of about 100 years this LF 195 198 stuff should be about half that "

so I was told . . . .
Sadly the self-life of the 195 LF is less than 3 yrs, not even 5 . . . due to the makeup of the primer :(
You can read the details of this on the other (5.7) forum. Made me re-evaluate shooting my FnS more frequently and rotating the type of rounds consumed.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
DAUG said:
Sadly the self-life of the 195 LF is less than 3 yrs, not even 5 . . . due to the makeup of the primer :(
Wrong!
I just finished a case of SS195 this month(opened it last month) that I bought back in in 2005 (over 3 years by several months at that). No single click, they all went bang.

I also still have another unopened case of SS195 that I am saving to shoot in 2010 to see how it fairs after 5 years.

Don't believe everything you read especially if the forum you are reading it from is owned by ammo reloaders in business to sell ammo.

What better way to increase ammo sales than to bash competing FN ammo.

Its like believing that Lexus is junk because you heard it from a Mercedes dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
workingman1976 said:
Its nearly one dollar a bullet on gunbroker which really sucks, because it seems to be a kick out round that isn`t the ss190 at all.
Well since its not planking ammo, think of it this way, how much do you pay per round of Corbon 9mm +P or Speer 9mm +P+?
Its pretty close or more isn't it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts