FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the 5.7 and just found the Elite Ammunition website. What do you guys suggest for a self defense round?

Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Me personally, I like the SS195LF for outside the home (It's better at longer distance) and SS197 for inside the home(heavier bullet). As I'm sure you already know, in self defence, shot placement is the key.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would guess that any of Elite Ammunition's offerings would be better than the factory loads. s4 super rapTOR would be a very destructive round, and either the varmintors or protectors would be good if you are worried about over-penetration.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I STRONGLY recommend against using any other type of home-brew or reloaded ammunition for self defense.

The lawyers and DA will have a field day with anyone who'd use a reloaded 5.7round in a shooting.

Same goes for other calibers also. You don't want to get caught shooting someone with reloads.

I'd stick with SS197 for HD and SS195lf if society falters and zombies start over running us. :grin:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wouldn't worry much about shooting someone with reloads. You shoot to stop and if that means with a better tool so be it. You are going to get sued no matter what you do and no matter if the person lives or dies. You do it to protect yourself/family so take care of business. If you are worried about being sued then buy a Tazer. They have a 98% stopping efficiency and the person will not die from being shocked alone. Either way, if you a a concealed carry permit or are around guns you should also have some type of legal plan just in case.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I know Elite sells reloads, as well as virgin loads using virgin brass, but they are pricey.
Thats my point. Maybe it's just me, but if these reloads were cheaper than factory loads I might try some, but for the cost of two boxes of EA I can buy 3 boxes of Factory loads. The other thing I worry about is what do you do if one of these hot load does damage to my PS90. I hear that EA makes some pretty good stuff, but with most reloads it's shoot them at your own risk.

·
Registered
414 Posts
For stopping power custom tailored reloads might be better, but ask almost ANY lawyer or DA and tehy will tell you that in any shooting situation, if the bullet type is not common over the counter stuff, they will try to nail you as walking around with 'magical human hunting explosive ammunition' in your firearms.

Heck even Massad Ayoob talks about this, and I couldn't agree more.

I reload myself for my firearms but would not be carying any reloads in any of my carry guns ever for a legal standpoint. Besides, most 'good' self defense ammunition nowadays is highly effective, there is no need for magical bullets.
I've been around guns and related items for over 15 years now, and my defensive legal plan is to be on the right side, and not cast any doubts as to the validity of my firearms, ammunition and tactics.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Not to get off topic, but for home defence, the PS90 is not my first chose. My shotgun is, with #3 bird shot, 0 buckshot, 000 buck and slug. If that doesn't drop him then I go to the 30-30, and if that doesn't work I'd use the PS90 to fight my way the hell out of the house cuz thats one bad SOB.

As for the reloads issue. Let the buyer beware, thats all I'll say.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
I would never use reloads for self defense, but thats just me.
I saw a Glock Kaboom once at an indoor range here and that kind of made up my mind on reloads and SD/HD ammo. For planking...sure...ehh..maybe...depends on how much I trust the reloader.

Can you imagine the look on the BG's face when you point, shoot, and KABOOM in your hand because you used a reload? :x :lol: :-D
The BG would probably feel sorry for you ( after he's done laughing his arse off) and call 911 for you :x :x :x

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know Elite sells reloads, as well as virgin loads using virgin brass, but they are pricey.
Thats my point. Maybe it's just me, but if these reloads were cheaper than factory loads I might try some, but for the cost of two boxes of EA I can buy 3 boxes of Factory loads. The other thing I worry about is what do you do if one of these hot load does damage to my PS90. I hear that EA makes some pretty good stuff, but with most reloads it's shoot them at your own risk.
Shoot them at your own risk?

I would sue them, They are a corp and a mfg. I know I checked thats what I do. After getting a couple of bags of free samples it is all I will carry.Yes it costs more then factory ammo, but it performs better. Mike at Double Tap charges more for his ammo also, but it is to 10mm what EA is to 5.7

I spent along time reading on this forum, I post little since knowledge is power and I keep my mouth shut to learn as much as possible. I see and read about the BAP and then do a corp search finding nothing. Esteves is correct it is nothing but pure AP and marketed that way and will do nothing but harm us and our chosen platform.

There is an issue here with EA and I can't understand it.

Up to this point I have not posted anything about my extremely good results with EA ammo because of the feeling I get from this forum about it.

To date the only FTF I have had is with factory LF primer SS196.
SS197 has always fired just ignore the primers blowing out and the brass not ejecting.

If a factory makes it is it not factory ammo?

·
Registered
152 Posts
tqtran said:
I would never use reloads for self defense, but thats just me.
I saw a Glock Kaboom once at an indoor range here and that kind of made up my mind on reloads and SD/HD ammo. For planking...sure...ehh..maybe...depends on how much I trust the reloader.

Can you imagine the look on the BG's face when you point, shoot, and KABOOM in your hand because you used a reload? :x :lol: :-D
The BG would probably feel sorry for you ( after he's done laughing his arse off) and call 911 for you :x :x :x
I bet he would do the same if you get a bad lot of factory ammo.

You are correct about the reloads, thats why EA offers factory loads with unfired brass. I have had nothing but good experiences with the folks at EA.

I have not tried any rounds from BACA Ballistics yet, but only because I am uncertain about the interchangeability. The PS90 can take a hotter load than the FsN. It's not something I want to risk as of yet.

·
Vendor
5,704 Posts
I have tried EA ammo and found it to be excellent. No problems whatsoever. I had a problem with a Factory load Lot # over a year ago and it is posted in the sticky at the top of this subforum.

I highly recommend EA. I will try BACA once I save a little to get a good variety. :?

·
Registered
218 Posts
berkleypoet said:
Shoot them at your own risk?

I would sue them, They are a corp and a mfg. I know I checked thats what I do. After getting a couple of bags of free samples it is all I will carry.Yes it costs more then factory ammo, but it performs better. Mike at Double Tap charges more for his ammo also, but it is to 10mm what EA is to 5.7

I spent along time reading on this forum, I post little since knowledge is power and I keep my mouth shut to learn as much as possible. I see and read about the BAP and then do a corp search finding nothing. Esteves is correct it is nothing but pure AP and marketed that way and will do nothing but harm us and our chosen platform.

There is an issue here with EA and I can't understand it.

Up to this point I have not posted anything about my extremely good results with EA ammo because of the feeling I get from this forum about it.

To date the only FTF I have had is with factory LF primer SS196.
SS197 has always fired just ignore the primers blowing out and the brass not ejecting.

If a factory makes it is it not factory ammo?

I would not carry reloads for CCH either, I agree with most on this subject.

for "berkleypoet" You don't have to be a corp to Mfg. ammo- you do need to have an FFL though. Not being an LLC or any other Corp. has no bearing on the ability to Mfg. a good product. LLC is good if you fear someone is going to sue you.
I HAVE NOT and WILL NEVER SELL reloads(fired brass) for use with my projectiles. I use UNFIRED VIRGIN FACTORY rounds(brass,primer,powder) for all of my projectiles that I have sold and will offer for sale. If you have ever reloaded before then you could tell if someone was using resized brass and saying it is virgin brass.

Your comment about "it is nothing but pure AP and marketed that way and will do nothing but harm us and our chosen platform" is ignorant and I am being polite.
THIS IS the same attitude I received on the "57forum" when I first started over 2 years ago. The admin and mods over there banned me from their forum because they thought they knew about the facts and I didn't. Well for them that are reading this info while incognito: Time has told-I am still here.

If I tell you or anyone else that what IS and IS NOT AP then listen- this is what I do.
I have been doing this for 3 years. The BATF would not have allowed me to do this for so long and to allow so much as you say "AP" to go out into the stream, and don't think they are building up a case- this is bogus.

No one is forcing you to buy my ammo, and at that, I have been seriously thinking of only selling the BAP111 to LEO/Military ONLY.

EA is topnotch and offers very good aftermaket 5.7 rounds. I have sent more than a few of my customers there direction that were wanting ammunition after I informed them of my ammo,their state laws and if they only had the FiveseveN weapon. This forum at birth was the "PS90forum" and as such, this is what my ammo is for.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well said.

Were I a hunting man or pro target shooter I'd probably use one of the special 5.7x28 ammos made by aftermarket manufacturers, but a dead animal and a paper-target is not going to sue you over the fact you shot it with non oem or factory spec ammo.

Heck I've heard of instances where even standard Self-Defense rounds like Hydrashocks were questioned and involved in a shooting incident and the prosecution portrayed it as something only a mad person out to KILL other people with would have on them.

Same goes for the Black Talon line of bullets years back. The media made it out to be a highly destructive bullet doing mroe damage than normal HP's and they ended up pulling them off the shelves (then renaming them and still selling them), but that's another story. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts