FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Well, unless U need night vision capability (most of us do not), get either the 511 or the 512.

I bought the N Battery 511 version. But, so far, I haven't been too thrilled with the battery life. I got maybe 30 hours of battery life with the batteries that came inside the new EOtech. Now, I still have the 2nd set in there - so, since they were fresh, maybe they will last longer. We'll see.

The smaller N battery version looks nicer on the PS90, but if I were to do it again, I'd get the 512 - the AA battery version.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I finally decided on the 511 since it was a little shorter than the 512. I haven't had it long enough to determine battery life. They claim 200hrs vs 1100hrs for the AA model.

30 hrs seems pretty low, perhaps they were old batteries. However, I'm sure they numbers were generated in "ideal" conditions.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
Yea, I wonder what "ideal" means too.

The Eotech was new, but as they were batteries put into the device at the factory, I am reserving Judgement. We'll see.

But, the AA version with Lithium batteries will last a lot longer.

I keep 2 sets of N Batteries in my PS90 bag all the time - just in case.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The 51 series has horrible battery life. Also it uses alkalin batteries not lithium so the shelf life (gun in safe) is pretty bad compared to lithium.

The 55 series uses 123 batteries which I think have something like a 10x longer life than the 51 series. I think this series has the auto shut down feature along with the NV support.

The 553 series also has an arms QD mount built in and sits a little higher.

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
I think the 512's use lithium. It's the newest version of the AA battery one. Make sure to get "Revision F" - it has a little "F" on the side of the metal cage. It is the newest version.

I believe there is an older 510 that doesn't use the lithium batteries - that's probably the one U wanna stay away from.

The 550s are the ones with the night vision - unnecessary I think.

Lithium batteries in the 512s will work fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Well, unless U need night vision capability (most of us do not),
But its fun if you do... :D :D :D

In all seriousness, I have the 552 model, and while the battery life has been great with lithium AA's, the additional length over the 511 model has created some space issues with some configurations I have tried.

I guess you pays your money and makes your choices.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Get one of the models with AA batteries. You can save money if you don't want NV capacity. Check out GG&G they have most of the different models with one of their very nice quick releases for about what you can find just the bare sights for elsewhere.

http://gggaz.com/index.php?id=93&parents=84,86

I'm not connected with them in any way I'm just pointing out a good deal.......................DJ

·
Registered
34 Posts
djpaintles said:
Get one of the models with AA batteries. You can save money if you don't want NV capacity. Check out GG&G they have most of the different models with one of their very nice quick releases for about what you can find just the bare sights for elsewhere.

http://gggaz.com/index.php?id=93&parents=84,86

I'm not connected with them in any way I'm just pointing out a good deal.......................DJ
I agree, get any of the model that can use the AA alkaline batteries and it would be so much easier to find replacement batteries whenever you need to. 8)

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I'm confused re the placement of EOTechs on the FS2K rail. Most photos show it mounted as far forward as possible, but doesnt that make the 'window' smaller compared to placing it closer to the butt stock(closer to your eyes) or is there a parallax thing going on?

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
fltsrgn said:
I'm confused re the placement of EOTechs on the FS2K rail. Most photos show it mounted as far forward as possible, but doesnt that make the 'window' smaller compared to placing it closer to the butt stock(closer to your eyes) or is there a parallax thing going on?
Further away makes the reticle look bigger - almost making it look like its the fullsize of the window... This happens the further away you push the eotech. This works great for CQC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts