FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

so, I come to the experts to answer a simple question. I have decided to put the mark 6 1-6 on hold and "pull the trigger" on a eotech exps.. Just not sure if I should go with the 1 dot or two dot.. I normally shoot at the range 1-200 yards. This will be going on a 17s also..

Thank you for any feedback you may have...

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you aren't shooting past 200 I'd just go with the EXPS-3... It's really all about what you like, but that's what I run on my 16s. I had Eotech models with multiple dots in the past and they got in the way with majority of the shooting I did. Some people say they have had issues with the Eotechs on 17's... I had an issue with one of my older models with the battery contacts in the cap, but the transverse mounted batteries on the newer models have taken care of that issue.

·
Registered
687 Posts
^^^ What DAWGfan1980 said. I don't find the multiple dots all that useful, and they just clutter my sight picture. I have an EXPS2-0 and G33 on my black SCAR 16S and I love it. It's a great combination.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have an XPS2-2 that I got for less then half the price of the XPS2-0. I didn't want the extra dot, but i couldn't pass up on the savings. LGS gave it up at the low price because no one was interested in the second dot.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I would be careful with XPS series EoTechs and the Mk 16/17. I've read a number of reports from some credible sources, Pat Rogers being one, of the Mk 16/17 breaking the Eotech XPS' crossways battery and battery tube. Something about the difference in the recoil impulse of the SCAR versus that of an AR.

Reactions: Bdcody01

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be careful with XPS series EoTechs and the Mk 16/17. I've read a number of reports from some credible sources, Pat Rogers being one, of the Mk 16/17 breaking the Eotech XPS' crossways battery and battery tube. Something about the difference in the recoil impulse of the SCAR versus that of an AR.
Thank you for the heads up on this issue. Is this more of a problem with the battery parallel instead of perpendicular?

Kev, I just ordered the EXPS3-0.. I maybe coming back and saying your right lol.. Just always been a fan of eotech for some reason. I hope to get a Tavor in the future and putting this on it at that point. Although I'm starting to think the aimpoint pro with flash kill will look great on it :(

·
Registered
604 Posts
Is this more of a problem with the battery parallel instead of perpendicular?
Vice versa. The perpendicular place placement of the battery on the XPS makes it susceptible to damage from the recoil impulse of the SCAR. In a couple of cases I've read, the battery actually broke inside the battery compartment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got the EXPS 3-0 (with the 0 -65 minute ring and 1 MOA aiming dot) on my AR10 and love it out to 200 yards. The 65 MOA circle shows your target 65" (5' 5") tall at 100 yards, bottom of ring to top of ring. No issues yet with the perpendicular battery. In fact, the above is the first I've heard of it. Perpendicular battery gives more room on the upper rail to move the sight forward.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
208 Posts
Actually, I really really like my TA31 on my 17. Great clarity and awesome sight picture. It's not a red dot of course, but it can function like one pretty easily. I picked up a Vortex 1x4 PST on Friday and it also works great, I just use that on my 16 or Tavor.

·
Registered
604 Posts
No issues yet with the perpendicular battery. In fact, the above is the first I've heard of it. Perpendicular battery gives more room on the upper rail to move the sight forward.
The battery issues have cropped up on Mk 16/17S. On AR-type rifles, not so much.

·
Registered
876 Posts
EXPS3-0 or EXPS3-4 if you can get one. Though i'm running a 553.A65TAN and a Tan G33. Absolutely love it and I've beat the snot out of it in comps. No battery problems or anything. If I had to do over again I'd get the 553.A65TAN, but get a much cheaper magnifier. Nothing wrong with the eotech magnifier, but it's way over priced and needed to move charging handle to left side. I've had EOtech's, AimPoints, Trijicon AGOG 4x32 w/RMR, MEPRO-21, Leapers, UTG, and Vortex StrikeFire. The EOTechs are the best hands down. Second the Vortex StrikeFire because it's as good as the Aimpoint for a whole lot less...Sorry Aimpoint fans but it's true. Excellent CS at Vortex as well. Third is the MEPRO I didn't like it at first but adding the LED light kit for daytime made it perfect. All the others in my opinion are overpriced or crap that belongs on a kids BB gun.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I had an EXPS model Eotech that "delaminated" on me before I ever had a chance to even zero it in. That plus the reports of Eotechs breaking on any platform let alone the SCAR I'll pass on any Eotech except a one I receive free and only for a range gun.

if I wanted 1x only Aimpoint micros are great and Aimpoint PRO is the best value in town and I actually prefer the clarity of the PRO & window size compared to the micros.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Thank you for the heads up on this issue. Is this more of a problem with the battery parallel instead of perpendicular?

Kev, I just ordered the EXPS3-0.. I maybe coming back and saying your right lol.. Just always been a fan of eotech for some reason. I hope to get a Tavor in the future and putting this on it at that point. Although I'm starting to think the aimpoint pro with flash kill will look great on it :(
Dont get me wrong, I think Eotechs are great optics and I loved my 553 on my 17. But what made me change was the fact that the Aimpoints do not get in the way of your charging handle, the dot is much clearer and crisper and its a more rugged optic/ IMO. Im glad I made the switch.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have the Aimpoint Pro & Comp M4s, and I highly recommend both. The Larue Tactical lever mount will solve any issues with the charger.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've ran the same EXPS3 on my SCAR 16 for close to two years with zero issues (several thousand rounds later)... I had a Eotech 512 I think that worked for years on a standard AR but the springs that fit in between the battery cushions eventually wore and at times I would have to pull out the batteries and mess with the springs to get it to turn on. Once it was on it would function fine... It was also after many years of use... I run an ELCAN on my 17 though...

·
Registered
39 Posts
SCAR 16 setup w/EOTech XPS2 w/G33 magnifier flip to the right and charging handle on left side. The GG&G angled handle helps a lot w/clearance. XPS2 has 65 minute ring w/vert & hor stadia and 2 MOA aiming dots w/out the G33 the reticle is a bit grainy and that is my only complaint. I shoot left hand and also lock & charge w/left pinky. Set-up works out fairly nicely w/no problems so far

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds like you need glasses. I didn't know I needed them till I got and eotech. Had 20/10 vision my whole life up till that point.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts