FN Herstal Firearms banner

Which one? FNP SA/DA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm pretty set on a FNP. What do you guys think? Is there a difference between the SA/DA FNP9 and 40 (other than the caliber)?

Do they shoot pretty much the same? Are the trigger pulls the same?

I'm coming from a XD40 if that helps...

Any opinions?
P.S. This isn't really a .40 vs. 9mm as far as bullets...just specifically between the FNP40 and FNP9

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, look at your poll :)

I am not a fan of the 40 - I think 9mm is just fine. It also has less recoil and costs less to practice with. So, I say get a 9mm.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ShipWreck said:
Well, look at your poll :)

I am not a fan of the 40 - I think 9mm is just fine. It also has less recoil and costs less to practice with. So, I say get a 9mm.

Yeah, I'm stupid, I didn't even see that. I think that's what I'll go with.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have both. I practice with the 9, and carry the .40. The .40 does have a tad more punch to it as far as recoil goes. I've become so attached to the pistols I'm nearly on a mission to own at least one in every caliber and one of every variation, so that gives you my level of sanity. But as shipwreck said, 9mm is fine for practicality.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cooter said:
I have both. I practice with the 9, and carry the .40. The .40 does have a tad more punch to it as far as recoil goes. I've become so attached to the pistols I'm nearly on a mission to own at least one in every caliber and one of every variation, so that gives you my level of sanity. But as shipwreck said, 9mm is fine for practicality.

Thanks, I ordered FNP9 SS DA/SA from Ray Tanner today...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I own an FNP9M compact...But let me be the first to add the Arfcom mantra...

GET BOTH!

·
Registered
203 Posts
The grip on the compact is a a little shorter. The actual number I am unsure of but its only enough to reduce the magazine capacity by 1.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Numbers wise I think total difference in height is about .25", just enough to make a difference if you've got large hands. 9 is the way to go IMO unless you're getting a .45 (hooray for 1911s). I bought a .40 a couple weeks ago that shoots accurately and reliably and all, but it's kind of a bleh cartridge - too much recoil for what it does.

·
Registered
18 Posts
147 gr. 9mm+P at 1100 fps. = 395 ft. lbs.

155 gr. .40 cal at 1205 fps. = 500 ft. lbs.

The .40 is making 20% + more energy and has a 10% larger bore. It is naturally going to recoil more, from a similar pistol, as it is delivering more to the target. Granted the 40 isn't for all, it is for me.

Many claim the recoil is stout. Personally I can shoot the FNP .40 as well as the 9 with either hand or with both. All is a matter of preference, I suppose. Cost is a factor for the ammo, unless you shoot .45 ACP then the .40 S&W is cheaper.

Let's not forget that placement is paramount. If you are less experienced at shooting a hand gun, go for the 9mm, if not the .40 is better so long as you have a strong grip. Many folks don't have the hand strength to control the .40 S&W, simply because they don't do work that requires strong hands or don't work out their wrists if they exercise.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Has anyone thought about obtain a 9mm P9 barrel and having it rechambered in .357 Sig for the 40P ?

Should work...on paper... Outside dimensions of the barrels should be identical.

The .40 S&W recoil assembly should work too.

·
Registered
120 Posts
FNP .40sw SAO

*My choice only/your results may vary*

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: which Gun

:D I voted for the .40 simply because I have a Sig p229R in .40 and I love the way it shoots and I already have four different caliber handguns and want to keep the ammo more or less the same on next purchase. Don't need five different calibers and the .40 has a bit more punch than a 9mm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts