FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Hey, CT, for what purpose?

Personally, I would rather have .308 over .223 any day. The Socom M1A's, especially with the different finishes, are very cool, but pricey.

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t have a battle rifle. I want to add one. Just looking at options. Heard a lot of bad about the AR-15’s. But the Socom is 80 year old technology isn’t it? A Garrand/M14 knock off right? I don’t’ want to break the bank on piston AR either.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I would go with the springfield if i was going to sit it out ........but two things One the 308 is a bit costly to shoot and two how much ammo can you carry ? Also the 308 has a strong report compaired to the 5.56 .......

·
Registered
205 Posts
You can carry less, that's right, but you will also need less, compared to a .223 :D More Damage always means less ammo to drop the target.

Sure, you have more recoil, but also, you have a system, that is 70+ years old, and is still used. That's more than only proof for it to work.

Why do they redesign ARs to the Piston Design? Because the current design isn't reliable enough, when you need it most. Take something with a simple and proven design, and it won't fail when you need it.

The M1A Design has served in WW II, Vietnam, Iraq, and it's still in service. There were almost no reports of fatal failures.

Oh, and yeah, the M1A is actually the M14 / M21, just in Semiauto only ;-)

·
Registered
120 Posts
My choice is the .308 too, for many obvious reason including superb accuracy when shot from a good platform.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you want a battle rifle, you should be looking at the M1A, an FAL, or an HK 91 (or its clones).

The AR15 is a battle carbine, i.e light duty, as other here have pointed out. If you want the AR style/ergonomics/functionality in a battle rifle, get a .308 version.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts