FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My dad just got an Elite Iron supressor for the 5.7 and the staff at Elite Iron said the ss 195 ammo ran the best through the gun. I never shot it and my dad passed away recently. But the folks at Elite Iron are great and know their trade.

Just my 2 cents.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmmm... I shoot the 197 or 195s... then reload the brass with 62gn ss109 (or 55gn FMJBT) projectiles at about 1150fps. The freakin' bolt slamming home is louder than anything. Best cycling subsonic rilfe flat down... that has more power than your standard .22Lr... if you're willing to take the time and reload.

·
Administrator
12,166 Posts
GeneSplicer said:
Hmmm... I shoot the 197 or 195s... then reload the brass with 62gn ss109 (or 55gn FMJBT) projectiles at about 1150fps. The freakin' bolt slamming home is louder than anything. Best cycling subsonic rilfe flat down... that has more power than your standard .22Lr... if you're willing to take the time and reload.
I prefer the 55g FMJBT for subsonics. The SS109s are a bit heavy for my taste in the 5.7X28mm platform. However, I do have about 20 subsonics for my AR15 that use the SS109 - but I consider the use of a SS109 a complete waste of money and a bullet in a subsonic load. There are less expensive and more efficient bullets available for subsonic loads, plus it takes more powder to accelerate the 62g vs the 55g bullets, which is an additional cost in reloading.

·
Registered
48 Posts
To tell the truth, I'm in agreement with you. I use more of the 55gn cheap stuff than the ss109s (I only got a great deal on 1K). Also, the ss109 doesn't have the penetrating power factor when only going 1050fps, vs the 3200fps out of an AR15. I'm not sure what the powder limit or speed is on 55gn projectiles in a PS90 before you get dangerous pressure levels... I've seen 5.0grains True blue pushing them in the upper 1600s fps, I'm not gutsy enough to increase that, besides, if I want speed then I shoot the 197s.

·
Administrator
12,166 Posts
GeneSplicer said:
To tell the truth, I'm in agreement with you. I use more of the 55gn cheap stuff than the ss109s (I only got a great deal on 1K). Also, the ss109 doesn't have the penetrating power factor when only going 1050fps, vs the 3200fps out of an AR15. I'm not sure what the powder limit or speed is on 55gn projectiles in a PS90 before you get dangerous pressure levels... I've seen 5.0grains True blue pushing them in the upper 1600s fps, I'm not gutsy enough to increase that, besides, if I want speed then I shoot the 197s.
I imagine about 1800fps to 1900fps in the PS90 for the 55g projectile but that is just an estimate on my part. Pretty sure at that level you are observing pressure changes in the area of pierced or cratered primers and case shoulder separation using the True Blue.

I chronied the SS197s at 1704fps, 1977fps, and 2089 fps out of the FiveseveN, SBR and PS90 respectively. Its listed as 1950 FPS out of the SBR on Wiki. So I'm pretty close to the mark. I do not remember what the factory published velocities are.

I keep my 55g bullets at subsonic speeds except when I create a load book then I shoot the 55g bullets at 5.0 and 4.0 to get the initial data. My last three books show the 55g at 5.0 of True Blue at around 1400fps out of the FiveseveN and 1570 fps in the SBR and 1650 in the PS90.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Neither

both are super sonic, so you will have a sonic crack that will be very audible. SB193s are pricey, I have a few boxes, but never shot them suppressed because of this. The only subsonics that I know available are the QuieTORs from Elite Ammo. I have shot exacty 50 of them through a suppressed P90, it was audibly pleasent, however I can't speak to any chrono numbers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts