FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried to fight Kev's -dammit man- long ago suggestion to buy a Leupy Mark 6 or 8, like a festering wound his suggestion has manifested itself into a full blown optic obsession. I had wanted a VCOG but don't want to be hindered by only 55gr or 77gr 5.56 options no, I want more flexibility. I'm now looking hard at the Mark 6 but haven't decided on the CMR-W or TMR-D reticle but that's another festering obsession not pertinent to this thread.

There are many choices in mounts -I know, believe me I know- but the most popular I hear spoken of frequently are ADM or LaRue, which manufacture would you -meaning all of YOU- choose? Tell me which model and why, the pro's and con's of each. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Larue or ADM and you cant go wrong (Larue for me - proven in combat AOR 1&2) - I would even look at SPUHR (Very robust and over-built) have seen them used on both 300WM - .338 Lapua ... if it can handle recoil from those I am confident it can stand up to anything a 17S or 16S could dish out - short of you chunking it out of a moving vehicle at 60mpg on concrete

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks b,

This is the LaRue combo I've been eyeing as of late...

View attachment 28121 View attachment 28122

Larue or ADM and you cant go wrong (Larue for me - proven in combat AOR 1&2) - I would even look at SPUHR (Very robust and over-built) have seen them used on both 300WM - .338 Lapua ... if it can handle recoil from those I am confident it can stand up to anything a 17S or 16S could dish out - short of you chunking it out of a moving vehicle at 60mpg on concrete

Reactions: Kev

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Sweet glass - - 34mm tube and it will collect ALOT light (check) - FFP (check) - reticle glass etched (check) may need to go a turn or 2 more than what Larue suggests for the mount 40deg to engage (to ensure there is true and tight lock up)of the QD mount...and for that amount of coin I think you'll be happy. Of course you could cash crazy with say a Schmidt & Bender - but for good quality glass and mount - that set up would be hard pressed to beat that you picked out above.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
What ever mount you decide on just stick with a mount that properly supports the scope, with the SCARs full upper rail there really isn't a need for a cantilever type mount. Something like what you have in the picture is best.
My .02

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm finding it difficult to locate that LaRue mount (LaRue Tactical OBR QD Scope Mount, LT111-34) anywhere but LaRue. As for Sh1t and Bendover, no thanks way out of my price range. I may just have to get this whole optics selection done and over with so I can focus on other FN related issues.

Sweet glass - - 34mm tube and it will collect ALOT light (check) - FFP (check) - reticle glass etched (check) may need to go a turn or 2 more than what Larue suggests for the mount 40deg to engage (to ensure there is true and tight lock up)of the QD mount...and for that amount of coin I think you'll be happy. Of course you could cash crazy with say a Schmidt & Bender - but for good quality glass and mount - that set up would be hard pressed to beat that you picked out above.

Reactions: bayonet14

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I had wanted a VCOG but don't want to be hindered by only 55gr or 77gr 5.56 options no, I want more flexibility. I'm now looking hard at the Mark 6 but haven't decided on the CMR-W or TMR-D reticle but that's another festering obsession not pertinent to this thread.
Then you definitely want the TMR-D, as the CMR-W is the same type of ballistic reticle as the VCOG. It was designed for a specific bullet weight at a specific velocity.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely Tal and thanks,

I'm not a fan of cantilever mounts especially like you say, when not necessary having a full-length rail to mount on.

What ever mount you decide on just stick with a mount that properly supports the scope, with the SCARs full upper rail there really isn't a need for a cantilever type mount. Something like what you have in the picture is best.
My .02

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I'm finding it difficult to locate that LaRue mount (LaRue Tactical OBR QD Scope Mount, LT111-34) anywhere but LaRue. As for Sh1t and Bendover, no thanks way out of my price range. I may just have to get this whole optics selection done and over with so I can focus on other FN related issues.
Yes - just pick up your mount from Larue if you choose the ORB - heck, you'll get some Dillo dust or a dillo beer/beverage tool or whatever free swag they throw in the box...and if ist in stock they get it shipped to you pronto!

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True that but.......the CMR-W is calibrated for M855 62gr 5.56 which is my preferred round with the seemingly largest selection of bullets for any purpose I personally can think of. My concern is daylight illuminated brightness compared to the TMR-D.

Then you definitely want the TMR-D, as the CMR-W is the same type of ballistic reticle as the VCOG. It was designed for a specific bullet weight at a specific velocity.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OMG! :th_bang: This is getting to be too much, this whole optics selection process that is. I just got off the phone with LaRue, they sold the last one of the combo I have posted last week.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
ADM Delta mount. Check with sarge. I got mine from him; think he might still have some in stock.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It do indeed, LaRue told me it could be 3 weeks or 3 months before they place another order with Leupold. Talk about some serious suckage. The only good thing, the price will remain the same.

Arrrr - that sucks!

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks CPT,

I'll have to check with Sarge, still I'll have to locate a Mark 6 for a good price. The LaRue combo was a damn good deal.

ADM Delta mount. Check with sarge. I got mine from him; think he might still have some in stock.

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Appreciate the input J,

I'm not partial to cantilever mounts, since the SCAR platform doesn't require one I'd prefer a fully-supported scope. Thanks though... :?

Alamo four star makes a nice mount. GDI p-rom is another but pricey. Aside from those, if you wanted qd, lots of folks like ADM.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Thanks CPT,

I'll have to check with Sarge, still I'll have to locate a Mark 6 for a good price. The LaRue combo was a damn good deal.
ADM has similar combo deals with USO. It's a good alternative unless you had your heart set on Leupold.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
True that but.......the CMR-W is calibrated for M855 62gr 5.56 which is my preferred round with the seemingly largest selection of bullets for any purpose I personally can think of. My concern is daylight illuminated brightness compared to the TMR-D.
Then you're good to go.

I didn't knkow that they started making these in 34mm.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Ops, didn't see realize that the optic you picked out is a 34mm, go with the Recon in that case.

Reactions: SeaMac
1 - 20 of 56 Posts