FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I have been looking for some RCBS 5.7x28 reloading dies and see that RCBS offers two different types. It looks like they offer a small base die set and a full length die set. Which die set would you guys recommend for reloading 5.7x28 for the PS90?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Do you have much experience reloading? There is a ton of information on reloading this round on the site, very helpful. As many will tell you, this is a round that can be difficult. There are other manufactures of dies you may want to consider. Enjoy the process

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have much experience reloading? There is a ton of information on reloading this round on the site, very helpful. As many will tell you, this is a round that can be difficult. There are other manufactures of dies you may want to consider. Enjoy the process
No I don't have much experience reloading, so I'm open to any tips that you are willing to share. I have done some research and I am going to avoid the LEE dies. Would you be in favor of any other 5.7x28 dies over the RCBS dies? If so, is there a reason or is it just your personal preference?

·
Administrator
11,227 Posts
There are a number of dies from manufactures that cost vefy littleto a whole bunch. Personally I have Lee, RCBS, Hornady dues for the 5.7x28 case. Of the three, I prefer the Hornady but find the RCBS zn Lee to be quite acceptable. I heard recently that Redding have some 5.7 dies but with all things Redding, you pay for the name as well as the dies.

Hornady are a great mid level die for this round/case.

Be advised that this cartridge is very unforgiving. A small mistake can be catastrophic.

Be cautious, be determined, be accurate, be knowledgeable and be safe. You wii be fine but this is not a cartridge to learn on unless there is so supervision.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I haven't loaded 5.7 yet (redding dies on special order) but using a 0.00 grain balance I've found my new RCBS Chargemaster auto trickling unit even after the "mods" on YouTube is reliable only within 0.15 grains. While I again haven't reloaded 5.7 yet, the loads people work up seem to go from victory to boom in not much more than that range of powder.

How is everyone measuring out their powder for 5.7?

·
Administrator
11,227 Posts
RCBS Chargemaster but I verify the digital scale with a beam scale to ensure accuracy. So I check the first and every 25th charge with the beam scale. I have not noticed any variance in the CM digital vs the beam scale.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have used the RCBS full length dies for ~4000 rounds without issue. Being detailed orientated is required for loading a round like the 5.7x28, so just do not get in a hurry.

·
Registered
60 Posts
No I don't have much experience reloading, so I'm open to any tips that you are willing to share. I have done some research and I am going to avoid the LEE dies. Would you be in favor of any other 5.7x28 dies over the RCBS dies? If so, is there a reason or is it just your personal preference?
Nobody makes a better neck sizer die than Lee

1 - 10 of 10 Posts