FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering mounting a flashlight on the side of my PS90 TR since I just bought some of Critical dimensions rail extensions. I don't want any cords or pressure plates. I strictly want a really good flashlight with an on/off button/switch that can withstand the recoil and will stay seated.

What would you buy? Talk me into spending more money :p

·
Banned
328 Posts
The recoil on the ps90 is light enough that you can get away with running a light that is not shock proof. I use a Brinkman xenon bub light I found several years ago at walmart for $15 and a decent set of 1 inch scope rings attached to the side rail. I've had this setup for 2 years now with no failures.

When mounted the switch on the back of the light is reachable with my trigger finger. The unit is black and rubber coated so it looks ok. I don't think walmart carries them anymore but I think Shipwreck saw them at another sporting goods store.

http://www.brinkmann.net/Shop/Detai...subcategory=Flashlights&sku=820-1025-0&id=138

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I just put a Surefire E1E with a Surefire M79 mount on mine. It's small and light weight.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yes the x300 is a very good choice, yes its a pistol light but its not your ordinary pistol light. The x300 is a bright led (110 lumens), offers good range, good run time (2.5 hours), uses two 3v batteries, has constant on and momentary on switches, it's durable (made out of aluminum), is compact, and weighs next to nothing. I recently got one and will be upgrading all of my weapon lights to this.

the main thing i like about the x300 is that it is a pistol light. that means if you have it on you primary long gun and for some reason it goes down when you transition to your pistol you have a light that can fit on you pistol. For $250 its steep for a light but you could spend more on a light and not be as happy.

i run a M6x on my ps90 because i wanted a light that did not have wires either, after getting the x300 for another gun i own i was so impressed that all of my long guns will get this light, including my ar-15 which sports a M900 surefire.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kanthek said:
The recoil on the ps90 is light enough that you can get away with running a light that is not shock proof. I use a Brinkman xenon bub light I found several years ago at walmart for $15 and a decent set of 1 inch scope rings attached to the side rail. I've had this setup for 2 years now with no failures.

When mounted the switch on the back of the light is reachable with my trigger finger. The unit is black and rubber coated so it looks ok. I don't think walmart carries them anymore but I think Shipwreck saw them at another sporting goods store.

http://www.brinkmann.net/Shop/Detai...subcategory=Flashlights&sku=820-1025-0&id=138
This is kind of the way I was leaning, I figured I would buy two 1 inch scope rings and get a flashlight. I would love to buy the Surefire x300...but wow that is expensive.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! :)

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I have a Brinkman xenon light - Wal-Mart used to carry them (where I got mine) - Sporting Good stores sometimes carry them (the chain - Academy - carries them).

I have this in a set of scope rings for my PS90. I don't have it mounted right now - but its still sitting in the scope rings if I ever want to reattach it.

I prev used a streamlight scorpion light, but the blub kept coming out. So, I switched to the Brinkman. It's a cheaper light but works the same. And, I haven't had any problems. It's like a $20 light, and as bright as the more expensive ones.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
horse9640 said:
I recently got one and will be upgrading all of my weapon lights to this.
Thats what I did. I pretty much upgraded all my lights to Surefires.
The X300 is expensive but well worth the money.
When the X400 hits the shelves, I'll upgrademy remaining TLR-2s to that as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ended up going with the Streamlight TL-2 Xenon version. I also bought the shock proof bulb assembly.

Mounted it to the gun with 2 1" scope rings and the electrical tape trick.

Looks very nice and seems secure.

http://tinyurl.com/cwo4cx

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok well I decided I wanted a tac light and laser in one so I think I am going to go with the:

streamlight TLR-2(~$225)

I was at the store the other day and the salesman should me this on:
SIG SAUER STL-900L(~$150)

Anybody got any insight on the SIG? I think I am going with the TLR-2...now I just need a little encouragment. :p Becuase it would also look great on my Glock.
:lol: I am hopeless...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a Glock tactical light, don't remember which model, the Sig light and a Streamlight TLR-2.

Both the Sig and Streamlight are very well made, and the prices you guys found are way better than mine... I bought the TLR-2 at BassProShops for just under $300 and the Sig at a highend gun shop for about $200.

I'd say both are very high quality build, the TLR seems better finished but possibly more delicate parts to mess up.

The Sig has the added feature of having the light in a pulsing mode, which is supposed to be more disorienting to baddies I guess. It uses buttons instead of a rocker switch to turn it on. Streamlight doesn't have the option to pulse the light but there is a kit to add a remote on/off to it which the Sig doesn't have as far as I know.

For the PS90 I'd probably recommend the TLR-2 for it's rocker style switch as well as the ability to add the remote. For a pistol I'd probably go the Sig route. I currently have my Sig on the PS90 and the TLR-2 on my FiveSeven, but only cause I had the PS90 before I got the FiveSeven and TLR-2.[/i]

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Personally, the TLR-2 worked best for me.

Simple, lightweight, and you can get a pressure switch and do something like this above. I had a bit more velcro on the weapon till I decided where I wanted the pressure switch. You get the laser AND a light all in one. I think the unit cost $230 and when I ordered the pressure switch it was $40 or something with shipping.

The disadvantage? Some guys hate seeing what is essentially a pistol light on their PS90.

Now, I DO have a Surefire full size flashlight with a pressure switch on my Colt M4, but it is just too big and unwieldy for the PS90.

Till you add the mount, pressure switch and batteries it is big, bulky, and heavy. The thing eats batteries like crazy. I love it and it is TOP OF THE LINE, but what a pain in the butt. I just couldn't bring myself to put it on the PS90. It was just overkill and not necessary. I keep it on my M4.

Alternate position for pressure switch.... but I don't want it in the way of the charging handle so I put it on the other side.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ick said:
Personally, the TLR-2 worked best for me.
Yeah I think you got me hooked. I am still waiting for that top down picture of it to see how it protrudes out...but I guess I will just have to buy it and find out myself :twisted:

·
Registered
569 Posts
The TLR-1/TLR-2 aren't bad, the new C4 versions put out 135 lumens (as opposed to the 80 lumens of the original) and no worries about the LED burning out or breaking in our lifetimes. I tried the TLR-2 on my PS90's but didn't care for the laser offset (which is why I ended up going w/the Den Trinity P90 internal laser). I have a TLR-1 on my wife's new PS90.
With that being said I'm experimenting w/a new taclight, the Fenix TK11. It has switchable output from 60 lumens to 240 lumens w/just a slight twist of the bezel and at 240 lumens has about 2x the effective range of the TLR series (my own testing). Runtime for the TLR's is 2.5hrs. With the Fenix it's 10hrs at 60 lumens and 1.5hrs at 240 lumens. One advantage of the Fenix (besides variable output) is that the endcap can be rotated slightly to deactivate the light, acting as a lockout which the TLR's lack.
Only time will tell if I keep this setup but so far I find it better for my needs than the TLR's (YMMV).
Tomac

1 - 16 of 16 Posts