FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New to the forum. I am also new to FN.
I have a friend selling an unfired new in the box FN Five-Seven USG. He's firm on price and won't budge at $1200.
Since this is from a friend. No paper work or taxes. This model is with fixed sights.

Or I could buy the MKII for the same price. Just papers and taxes which I don't really care anyways.

I know and understand most of the differences. All MKII have adjustable sights. Seem to be a little more robust.
0.1" wider at the front of the slide/frame where the front cocking serrations are.
The slide is one piece cast instead of 2 piece stamped and welded.

I just don't know whether to buy the USG or the MKII?

Thanks For Any Help!

·
Registered
470 Posts
The MKII is more durable IMHO and has adjustable sights which are more versatile. There are people in the USG camp who say it's more reliable and stuff.

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
Get the USG, you'll like the fixed sights.

Reactions: Cbus

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I have a USG with fixed sights. I really dig it, but honestly it's my only hands on experience with a Five-seveN. I wouldn't mind picking up a MKII someday, but it's way down on my list and chances are I'll never make it there...barring some sort of lottery winning scenario.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The MKII is more durable IMHO and has adjustable sights which are more versatile. There are people in the USG camp who say it's more reliable and stuff.
Thanks Trentofdestiny!
:welcomesigntb3: TO THE FORUM! either model would make a great choice!:?
Thanks LESTER!

Get the USG, you'll like the fixed sights.
Thanks jhs!

Welcome to the forum.

I have a USG with fixed sights. I really dig it, but honestly it's my only hands on experience with a Five-seveN. I wouldn't mind picking up a MKII someday, but it's way down on my list and chances are I'll never make it there...barring some sort of lottery winning scenario.
Thanks akitainu!

for the most part, I'm getting that it really doesn't matter. Either one is good for the same money.
I'm big SIG fan. Currently carry the SIG p938. Probably will move the FN Five-Seven to my carry. And maybe have
the my 938 for a back up. It's so small, you can pretty much put it anywhere. I haven't shot the Five-Seven yet. But I did
hold and finger the USG last night. I actually love where the safety is at, feels pretty natural. And from what I've read so far
you just can't go wrong carrying the Five-Seven.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
I have he MKII and I love it. I have shot the USG before but not extensively. There isn't much of a difference (if any) from how they shoot. The extra set of serations on the front of the slide are nice but not necessary. The MKII is supposed of have been built more robustly than the USG. Most here have score FSNs for 1100 + whatever transfer fee was required. Either way you go I don't think yof will disappointed. I carry mine as well and it conceals quite nicely. I am 6'2" so that might have something to do with it. The best thing about carrying it is how light it is and how fast you can put 20 rounds on paper due to the light recoil.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I am willing to bet money you will pick one up in the future :biggrin: right after you get that KRISS vector that someone won't let you forget about.

Reactions: akitainu and LESTER

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have he MKII and I love it. I have shot the USG before but not extensively. There isn't much of a difference (if any) from how they shoot. The extra set of serations on the front of the slide are nice but not necessary. The MKII is supposed of have been built more robustly than the USG. Most here have score FSNs for 1100 + whatever transfer fee was required. Either way you go I don't think yof will disappointed. I carry mine as well and it conceals quite nicely. I am 6'2" so that might have something to do with it. The best thing about carrying it is how light it is and how fast you can put 20 rounds on paper due to the light recoil.
Thanks KameronTKelly. I think I'm leaning more towards the MKII. Found a FDE MKII I like. Might go ahead and get it! :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Personally I don't see how you can own this gun with fixed sights. The 40 grain hits about 5 inches lower than the 27 grain. You certainly need to adjust the sights when you switch from 27gr to 40gr, about 14 click up for me. Further for my MKII to be dead on for both 27gr and 40gr, I have to adjust the windage about 13 clicks to the right. I would not buy this gun with fixed sights unless you plan on shooting SS195 only which is what it is sighted in for at the factory.

If you are going to experiment with handloads or off brands of ammo like Elite Ammo, you have to have adjustable sights.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The one advantage/disadvantage that nobody has mentioned yet is that holster support for the USG is slightly better than the MKII. That will catch up in time, but do not expect the same level of aftermarket support like you get with Sig or Glock. If you are going to be looking at custom holsters, or using it as as range gun only, it would not matter what holsters are available.

I agree with the statement about adjustable sights. They are a bit larger on the gun, but for someone who does a lot of hand loading of the 5.7x28, I would have to use a lot of Kentucky windage aiming if I was limited to fixed sights. If you plan on using the same ammo all the time, that is easy to do, but with hand loads, I have some that are "off" from factory ammo by as much as 12 inches at 10 yards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you plan to shoot the 40 grain and more plentiful rounds, you need adjustable sights. I have the USG and love it. However, the 40 grain rounds are useless.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Personally I don't see how you can own this gun with fixed sights. The 40 grain hits about 5 inches lower than the 27 grain. You certainly need to adjust the sights when you switch from 27gr to 40gr, about 14 click up for me. Further for my MKII to be dead on for both 27gr and 40gr, I have to adjust the windage about 13 clicks to the right. I would not buy this gun with fixed sights unless you plan on shooting SS195 only which is what it is sighted in for at the factory.

If you are going to experiment with handloads or off brands of ammo like Elite Ammo, you have to have adjustable sights.
Thanks Harrishmasher. I'm going to go ahead and get the MKII. Thanks for everyone's help. Seems there isn't any real reason to not get
the MKII when there both about the same amount to buy. If he would have taken $1k. It might have been a little different.
Now just looking at where I can buy the MKII. There's a few on Gunbroker.com and a few on Armslist.com
Non of my local stores seem to have any in stock. Though I could ask if they can order. Wanting to get the FDE! :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Put in an order at my local gun store just down the road from me for
A FN Five-Seven MKII FDE. They actually already ordered one back at the
End of January. Just now, I've paid for it and it has my name on it.
Got it for $1200. Can't wait!

Thanks for the help everyone! ��

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Put in an order at my local gun store just down the road from me for
A FN Five-Seven MKII FDE. They actually already ordered one back at the
End of January. Just now, I've paid for it and it has my name on it.
Got it for $1200. Can't wait!

Thanks for the help everyone! ��
Man, you didn't waste any time. I honestly respect that. Congrats!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man, you didn't waste any time. I honestly respect that. Congrats!
Thanks akitainu! I did as much research as I could. And made the decision on whether to go with the USG
a friend was selling or get the new MKII. With help from the forum and reading I decided to get the MKII.
i guess I didn't need to buy it right this second. But after learning this platform. I really want one now!
lol, I really can't wait to get mine in! :th_anim_coffee:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks akitainu! I did as much research as I could. And made the decision on whether to go with the USG
a friend was selling or get the new MKII. With help from the forum and reading I decided to get the MKII.
i guess I didn't need to buy it right this second. But after learning this platform. I really want one now!
lol, I really can't wait to get mine in! :th_anim_coffee:

Cbus,

I have owned a USG, traded it off, won't go into that, but I came out smelling like a rose, then just now bought the MKII. Having had both I can truly say you could not go wrong with either. However, I do like the MKII better, it is a little wider and the grip is a little better in my hand. As to the problem of the holster, they are right, not always easy to find. I have found several leather holsters that are good, but I like the Serpa blackhawk and they do not make one for the MKII and said for now they will not make one. So I ordered one for the USG and did a transformation. See post 68 from the following thread:

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-five-seven-accessories/45338-holsters-fit-fsn-mkii-7.html#post729819

Have a great time with your new toy, let us know when you get it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cbus,

I have owned a USG, traded it off, won't go into that, but I came out smelling like a rose, then just now bought the MKII. Having had both I can truly say you could not go wrong with either. However, I do like the MKII better, it is a little wider and the grip is a little better in my hand. As to the problem of the holster, they are right, not always easy to find. I have found several leather holsters that are good, but I like the Serpa blackhawk and they do not make one for the MKII and said for now they will not make one. So I ordered one for the USG and did a transformation. See post 68 from the following thread:

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-five-seven-accessories/45338-holsters-fit-fsn-mkii-7.html#post729819

Have a great time with your new toy, let us know when you get it.
Thanks HiddenPuppy! I'll check out your thread, thanks for that!
i will for sure post up when she gets in!
thanks AGAIN, :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
found my MKII on gun broker 1100 your friend is not giving you a friend deal at 1200

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
found my MKII on gun broker 1100 your friend is not giving you a friend deal at 1200
Yeah that's what I thought too. Once I told him that I decided to get the MKII in FDE. He lowered the price to 1075. I was like, I already
ordered it man. Thanks anyways. And this friend I've done countless work on his car for free over the years. Well for now on, he can get it
done at a shop! I've saved him way more than 200 bucks. Probably thousands. Anyways can't wait to get my FDE!

Bought some SS198LF for SD round when carrying.
I've been doing a bunch of research on carrying. Either people love it or are totally against it. It's kind of funny the spectrum people are on
with the Five-Seven. From what I see is the gun would perform well in SD situation. More than likely on that situation while adrenaline is up
your more than likely to fire a few shots. I know I wouldn't want to be hit by one of these rounds!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts