FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two nicely equipped PS90's and two FN Five-seveN's or one ultimately equipped FS2000 and one FN Five-seven?
Tomac

·
Registered
156 Posts
Your choice depends on what your goal is. If your goal is to have a long gun and a pistol that use the same ammo (and spares of both) take option #1. If your goal is to have semi-automatic rifle with greater range and a sidearm, take option #2.

Although I like the PS90 and it's neat to have your pistol and rifle use the same ammo, I think the FS2000 can do everything the PS90 can do and more. I do not mean this as any disrespect to the PS90 owners but you have to look at what the original idea was behind the P90. It was the Personal Defense Weapon concept for those who didn't need a full rifle (i.e. vehicle drivers, artillery crews, rear echelon personnel, etc). The PS90 is the compromise for the American civilian market where the body armor piercing ammo was restricted, the select fire feature was deleted, and the firearm got a very long barrel which undid a lot of the original P90's compactness. Basically, it is not a PDW anymore. The PS90 is very enjoyable to shoot and it will absolutely cause damage to a person (if needed to), but it lost a lot of its advantages when the P90 was transformed into the PS90. Additionally, if you shoot gun games (i.e. 3 gun) a lot of people calibrate the plates so that they will not fall when struck by the 5.7x28 round. That is annoying and led a shooting friend of mine to sell his.

In contrast, the FS2000 does not face the ammo issue that the PS90 faces and it uses common mags. Its barrel is only a few inches longer than its F2000 counterpart. Of course the select fire is also a deleted feature in the FS2000, but on balance I feel the FS2000 is less of a compromise than what the PS90 is.

That said, you have to weigh what is important to you and make a choice on your criteria not mine. -At some point, I'd like to get a PS90. My delay has been that I can't justify the cost to myself given that the FS2000 is a solid platform that has greater range.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Well Tomac, since I know you already have 2 PS90s and 2 Fiveseven's,
I can tell that you are thinking of changing things up a bit.
Might I suggest maybe "Option C"?
-----
1 Nicely Equipped PS90
1 FiveseveN
1 Nicely Equipped FS2000

Is there a reason you are thinking of getting rid of the PS90s? Looking at an Elcan Specter DR for the FS2000? :D
------

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tqtran said:
Well Tomac, since I know you already have 2 PS90s and 2 Fiveseven's,
I can tell that you are thinking of changing things up a bit.
Might I suggest maybe "Option C"?
-----
1 Nicely Equipped PS90
1 FiveseveN
1 Nicely Equipped FS2000

Is there a reason you are thinking of getting rid of the PS90s? Looking at an Elcan Specter DR for the FS2000? :D
------
Actually, there was never any real danger of me selling any of my 5.7 stuff for an FS2000 as for my needs the *only* advantage the FS2000 has over the PS90 is a more powerful (& more expensive) cartridge and it's far too pricey for me to buy one "just to have". However, if any .223 carbine could tempt me it would be the FS2000 so I was curious as to how others might choose if faced with the same choice. I've been putting a friend's FS2000 through its paces for the past week or so and as much as I tried not to like it I must admit I'm very impressed with the handling, reliability & design with only a few things I don't like that I'm sure could be cured by throwing enough money at it (there's that pesky money thing again!). However, should my finances unexpectedly improve then the FS2000 would be at the top of the list of new guns to purchase (and yes, the Elcan Specter DR would be my dream optic on the FS2000 but it costs as much as the FS2000! :cry: ) If I were to bring an FS2000 home now I'm not sure if the wife would divorce me or just shoot me and collect the insurance money. :-x
Tomac

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I'd rather have 2 PS90's and 2 pistols. Because, having the same ammo for all weapons is a big plus (K.I.S.S.). Second, I might be jaded, but I think the PS90 is a better designed weapon than the FS2000 is. Let me say it in a bifferent way. There are as good or better 5.56 platforms than the FS2K at a cheaper price. For me, (6ft tall, 185lbs) the FS2K is bulky for a 5.56. I think the AUG is less bulky and a better design better to name one (I hear they may start making the AUG here in US). The Kel-Tec RFB is 308 but design wise it seem slicker, the TAVOR is 5.56 ect....

I got a buddy that bought a FS2K that really likes it, he's 6'2" tall and weights about 260LBs. So in the end it all depends on what your likes and dislikes come down to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts