FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say I really like my FN9. I can't reload fast enough to keep me in ammo. (OK, so I'm also reloading 45 ACP and Colt along with 38's.) There are days at the range I'd like to be poppin' off 22's instead of 9MM's.

I don't want to go buy some other brand as I'd like to keep the ergonomics and release locations the same.

Anyone ever hear any rumors...?

·
Registered
102 Posts
i doubt that would happen but ive read some interesting articles about training with .22s and wouldnt mind a conversion kit.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
They don't make conversion kits for that many guns. Unless it becomes super popular, I don't see that happening. There would be one one of these days for the XD first, as that gun is becoming very popular.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
.22 is a great target/plinking caliber. I think my next purchase will be a new 22 rifle just for fun and for how economical it is.

·
Registered
873 Posts
A Browning Buck Mark is sort of an FN.

I've had a 5.5 Target model for years. Great handgun.

·
Registered
37 Posts
BlitzPig said:
A Browning Buck Mark is sort of an FN.

I've had a 5.5 Target model for years. Great handgun.
The Buck Mark is a great little gun.

However, the 22LR round has a lot less pressure output than centerfire rounds. Guns that are "scaled down" 9 mms tend to be pretty finicky about what they'll eat. The Walther P22 and the Sig Mosquito have not been without their issues, mostly ammo related, but the manufacturer still gets beat up for the customer's dissatisfaction.

Add in trying to build them at a $300. price point and there isn't much in it for a gun maker.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would. :?

Only buyer's remorse I have with the FNP-40 is seeing the Sig Sauer 22 conversion kits for the P220, P226, & P229. I've got a Ruger MK I Bull barrel and it shoots well but it's a different feel. Having the exact platform, i.e., trigger, grip, sights, in 22 would be a big plus in my view. 4 to 5 times the rounds down range for the price even with the cheapest Wally World Blaser rounds.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Man it hurts to see those quarters and dimes go flying down range with each trigger pull. Much better to shoot half pennies.

I really need to learn reloading.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I almost got the .22 conversion for my SIG but spent the money(plus some) on my FNP-45. I would be completely in for a factory conversion from FNH for the FNP-45!!

I have several conversions for others,EAA Witnes,Glcok M-20/21,Glock 29/30,Glock 19,Beretta 92 and 1911. I also have many a Mosquito,P-22,Buckmark(x2) and Ruger 22/45 mk2.I hear tell that there may be a conversion kit for full size HK USP 45...sorry about the run-on but I have to agree that shooting the same platform is VERY helpful for SO many reasons.

Wanta B

·
Registered
25 Posts
I asked FN USA if there was a FNP 22 conversion in the works. They said there are no plans to offer one.

Let's hope some really big contract buyer wants one and we'd get the trickle down benefit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
AITG said:
BlitzPig said:
However, the 22LR round has a lot less pressure output than centerfire rounds. Guns that are "scaled down" 9 mms tend to be pretty finicky about what they'll eat. The Walther P22 and the Sig Mosquito have not been without their issues, mostly ammo related, but the manufacturer still gets beat up for the customer's dissatisfaction.

Add in trying to build them at a $300. price point and there isn't much in it for a gun maker.
I have a Walther P22 and it is very picky about what it wants to shoot. Jams a lot and doesn't cycle other times. But my Ruger Mark III shoots about perfect with any round. Didn't mean to get off topic but I love .22's and would love to see FN make a conversion kit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 1911 in .45 ACP that I love about as much as my FNP 9 and I was seriously looking at the .22 conversion kits for the 1911 so I could increase its utility and shoot it with less expensive ammo. I took a different path and here is why...

The .22 cal conversions cost about as much as an additional pistol, so why not buy a good quality .22 and learn to master it? Browning Buckmark's, Colt Woodsmen and the Ruger Mk1-3 series are all great pistols. I swapped a shotgun for a NIB Ruger 22/45 and I love it, its more accurate then I am and I enjoy having the additional pistol to take to the range. The Ruget Mk3's can be picked up for $200 -$250 on gunbroker and they have not had the reliability issues that the Walther P22 has had.

I dont remember where I heard it, but somewhere I heard a comment that you can learn to shoot any specific pistol well with practice, but learning to shoot a .22 well will apply to many different pistol platforms. I think getting my 22 has made be a better shot. Just a thought...they arent as sexy as a Sig or a 1911, but $15 for 500 rounds of ammo...yeah Baybee!

·
Banned
93 Posts
270_guy said:
I asked FN USA if there was a FNP 22 conversion in the works. They said there are no plans to offer one.

Let's hope some really big contract buyer wants one and we'd get the trickle down benefit.
Thats the problem, "really big contract buyers" are police and military and they have very little use for .22 conversion kits or .22's in general. :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts