FN Herstal Firearms banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has shot some distance (over 400 yards) and what kind of MOA were you able to get? I cant wait to get mine out and shoot some more. I have only been able to get out to 200 so far. 1.75 MOA at that distance.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm confused. Why would the MOA of the groups you're shooting at 200 yards be any different than at 100... or any other range?

EDIT: After re-reading your post I'm guessing you mean that you're shooting 1.75 inch groups at 200 yards? That's sub-MOA. Or am I completely not understanding your post?

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
If it's 1.75 MOA the spread at 200yds is 2.5" or are you saying the spread at 200yds is 1.75"?

I'm confused. Why would the MOA of the groups you're shooting at 200 yards be any different than at 100... or any other range?
Longer the distance, the more environments can negatively affect the projectile I would think. Not sure how much difference they make but I would imagine that your MOA at 400 yds isn't going to be the same as your MOA at 100yds.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I shot my SCAR 17s this summer at 200, 400, and 600 yards at the rifle club I belong to. I have a Leupold VX6 Multigun 1-6x scope on it, so certainly not a long-range "precision" scope by any means, but it gets the job done.

My friend and I were able to keep 30 out of 30 total shots on a full-size IDPA silhouette target at 600 yards using the scope at 6x power. Granted, it wasn't very windy, but it still gives you an idea of the capabilities of the rifle shot prone from a bipod by two complete noob shooters. We were using FGMM .308 ammo with 168gr bullets.

If I had to guess at the group size, I would say we were looking at a 10-12" group at 600 yards. I have been able to shoot 1 MOA groups at 100 yards with the same setup (easier with a 6x scope at 100 yards than it is at 600 yards).

Hand loads may reduce the groups, as might a higher powered scope. But I'm not as willing to spend the time (and my Lapua brass) on handloading for the SCAR...that's what my bolt gun is for! 8)

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have seen This video before, awesome shooting skills that's for sure

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

EDIT: After re-reading your post I'm guessing you mean that you're shooting 1.75 inch groups at 200 yards? That's sub-MOA. Or am I completely not understanding your post?
1.75 MOA at 200...about 3.5 inch groups....sorry for confusion on my part:?

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
1.75 MOA at 200...about 3.5 inch groups....sorry for confusion on my part:?
Doh I meant 3.5" in my original post, brain not working right.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I've shot it at 600 yards. Had about 40 inch groups. Yeah you read that right. I was intentionally not correcting for wind to see just how far it would push the bullets off target.

When I shot when the wind wasn't blowing I can hit a 12 inch piece of steel almost every shot. So I'd say the gun/ammo is 2 moa or less. Just hard for a non-sniper to get that kind of group in the wild.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just because a rifle at 100 yards shoots lets say 1 MOA does not equate to a 10" group size at 1000 yards. or even a 5" group at 500 yards. It could be less or it most likely would be greater. This is especially true as the bullet drops from super sonic to sub sonic. As it transitions the sound barrier it becomes unstable and accuracy diminishes. Also you will find people everywhere who will take a 4 power scope and have the cheapest Mil Surp .308 they could find and tell you that they were only getting 5 MOA at 100 yards. Just look at you tube and you will see tons of "accuracy tests" using sub par ammunition and low power 2nd rate scopes for there "Accuracy tests". Then people wonder why the SCAR or any other rifle they tested didnt meet the 1 MOA minimum set forth by the manufacturer. AND on top of that these same people are most likely NOT Marksmen. In other words they have very little training from someone who actually knows what he is doing. They shoot a few times a year if that and think in there mind that they are Carlos Hathcock. (If you dont know who he is then you are NOT a marksman) So read what you will from these posts but take it with a grain of salt. I didnt even bother to read the responses. I am just giving you my 2 cents worth in regards to your question.:target:

Reactions: skoot61

·
Registered
556 Posts
Also you will find people everywhere who will take a 4 power scope and have the cheapest Mil Surp .308 they could find and tell you that they were only getting 5 MOA at 100 yards. Just look at you tube and you will see tons of "accuracy tests" using sub par ammunition and low power 2nd rate scopes for there "Accuracy tests". Then people wonder why the SCAR or any other rifle they tested didnt meet the 1 MOA minimum set forth by the manufacturer. AND on top of that these same people are most likely NOT Marksmen. In other words they have very little training from someone who actually knows what he is doing. They shoot a few times a year if that and think in there mind that they are Carlos Hathcock. (If you dont know who he is then you are NOT a marksman) So read what you will from these posts but take it with a grain of salt. I didnt even bother to read the responses. I am just giving you my 2 cents worth in regards to your question.
I'm not sure how any of this is a response to OP's question. Sounds like you're taking a dig at some of the people here.

I only have access to a 300yds and I'm looking at spots on BLM land where I can stretch to 600+ yds
IIRC you are in the Bay Area, right? Where is this 300yd range, because I would love to get out to 300yds without having to drive all the way to Sacramento.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm not sure how any of this is a response to OP's question. Sounds like you're taking a dig at some of the people here.
No I didnt even read the previous posts as I knew someone would have said something close to what I stated people all over say. If you dont believe me just google the SCAR 17 accuracy. Regardless, it doesn't change or make what I said wrong. The OP wanted to know what kind of groups people were getting with there SCAR 17s at distance. That usually means he wants to know what they are capable of in the accuracy department. Don't take offense. None was intended to you or anyone else.

The answer directly relates to his question: "Who has shot some distance (over 400 yards) and what kind of MOA were you able to get? I cant wait to get mine out and shoot some more. I have only been able to get out to 200 so far. 1.75 MOA at that distance".

I just went back and read every post. Exactly WHO was I taking a DIG at?

·
Registered
17 Posts
miscar, although I do not have my weapon set up for longer range shooting (i have it set up for 300m and under), I have shot targets out to 600m with a total diameter of 6 inches between all 5 shots. Keep to the fundamentals of shooting (same sight pic, trigger squeeze, and breathing) the same and you should have no worries. I must admit however, at this range with no long range scope or any of that other crap, as long as you know what your bullet does at "x" distance, you should be golden. Once you start talking about subsonic v super sonic and shooting what you press, all bets go out the window. simply switching the primers can make an insane amount of difference on the flight and trajectory of your bullet. Also, when getting into long range accuracy, cleaning your barrel using 4 strokes vs 5 strokes will also have a tremendous effect on how your bullet performs (assuming all other variables remain constant). But I digress. Bottom line, i have an aimpoint with a "flip to side" 3x magnifier....I shot 5 rounds at a target 600m away keeping my sight picture, breathing and trigger pull the same and my grouping was within 6 inches of each other. Hope this helps

·
Registered
85 Posts
its been awhile since i have posted here, but i read up a couple times a month just see what new lil goodies have come out. anyway to answer yer question "how far????" with a scar 17. last year before my elk hunt i had a chance to go over to a private range in new mexico w/my scar 17 and a sheet load of nato rds and federal 168BTHP. i also brought my highly modified marlin 1895GS built by nelson ford here(thegunsmith.com). no optics except irons on 1895GS.

anyway i too, awhile back was wondering what optic to get for my scar. after ready ample amounts of horsesheet about whats the best, i opted for what works FOR ME! as all of my bolts and damn near all my semis carry 3.5x10 leupolds. but this time i opted for the FDE leupold with TMR reticle. mounted into a quick detach mount(ADM). anyway we played with the 45/70 and then the scar. after ringing all the dinger donger targets out to 600yds the range goes into the side of a mesa at about 800yds. we popped lil caves on the mesa all day long then lasered off a canyon to the left at about 1127 yds or so. let me put it to YOU THIS WAY! if you were a bad guy or an elk or a deer i would have made YOU INTO SWISS CHEESE IN VERY SHORT ORDER! no bull sheet story. brain dead simple btwn knowing yer comeups/your 168gr federal rd/yer scope/and yer TMR(tactical mil dot) reticle. we were blown away at the simplicity and the accuracy. now a lil background is in order. we have grown up shooting 1000yd IRON SIGHT MATCHES with M-14 super duper matches and HK-91's with 1200 yd iron sights on them. then throw in some mcmillian M40-A1 .308 bolt practice/hunting over many years and then a mcmillian m-70 .338 win mag hunting for good measure. so reality is this. we shoot fairly common rds(45/70/.308/.338) over and over and over until the cows come home and have gotten damn good at it due to repetition.

so yer answer is this.............YES you can bean the snot out of anything at extreme range if ya spend the dough on optics and ammo and practice practice practice. theres NO MAGIC to this its all about having good optics and becoming familiar with them and using the same rd over and over and over. my mcmillian m-70 .338 win mag has a lil bit of an optic advantage as its dressed with a 4.5x14 leupold with mil dot reticle.

and i'll bet yer asking yerself now "did he get his elk?" and the answer is "YES!" 250yds lasered off with 325gr hornaday with the marlin 1895GS! oh yeah and the damn elk were running! those damn elk are SNEAKY LIKE THAT SOMEDAYS!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a place where we can shot out past 1000 meters on steel. Scar 17 has no problems making constant hits on the 1000 meter steel. My setup is Geissele trigger, SWFA fixed 10x HD, Larue mount, Harris bipod and Surefire 762k suppressor. I see this setup replacing most of bolt actions rifles in 308.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.