FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those interested in the SCAR 17. Those who have them, are you getting good groups.

Target from Saturday. Not bad. A fair number of shots through the same hole.

Rifle:
Black SCAR 17S
Stock trigger!
Aimpoint T2 with Aimpoint 3X magnifier in LaRue mount.
On a plain old rifle rest in the front.

Target:
100 yards
73 degrees
Gusty winds up to 15MPH

Ammunition:
20 Rounds of American Eagle 168gr. OTM (not expensive)

I was impressed that I got this group of 20 with a stock trigger and a RDS. IS BLACK MORE ACCURATE??? My FDE SCAR 17 w/NF and Geissele doesn't shoot any better and maybe worse.
IMG.jpg

·
Registered
505 Posts
Of course, FDE is more accurate, especially if you still have the sticker on it! But if you possess both colors, your accuracy improves considerably with either one. And then if you happen to have any other FN products or side-arm, nothing but bullseye! Nice shooting.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I posted this before, but this group was shot with the Leupold HAMR 4X, plain jane milspec ball ammo (Turkish NATO ZQI), stock trigger, NO mechanical support other than my elbows. Discounting the flyer, that's about a 3" group.

One of these days I'll light these muthas off sand bags and see how well they really do with stock trigger.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fnfalman,

That's pretty damn good off elbows. Nice shooting. One of the things that surprised me about my group is that I did it with American Eagle ammo, not the Federal Gold Match 168Gr OTM I usually use when shooting for accuracy.

Now try 20 rounds off your elbows....just kidding, OK use a sandbag.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course, FDE is more accurate, especially if you still have the sticker on it! But if you possess both colors, your accuracy improves considerably with either one. And then if you happen to have any other FN products or side-arm, nothing but bullseye! Nice shooting.
You gotta love the SCARs, right?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
fnfalman,

That's pretty damn good off elbows. Nice shooting. One of the things that surprised me about my group is that I did it with American Eagle ammo, not the Federal Gold Match 168Gr OTM I usually use when shooting for accuracy.

Now try 20 rounds off your elbows....just kidding, OK use a sandbag.
I limited my shot groups to 5-reds because of the skinny barrel. If the barrel were to heat up too much then the groups will open up due to no fault of the gun.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I limited my shot groups to 5-reds because of the skinny barrel. If the barrel were to heat up too much then the groups will open up due to no fault of the gun.
Guess what, I didn't experience that. The group I posted was done by shooting the first 8 rounds, then the Range Master called a target change break, then I shot 12 more. So you should be able to do 10 with no problem. In fact, I have other targets with similar groupings of 10 rounds. It's just that this is 20 rounds.

The ammo you use does make a huge difference however. If I shoot PMC, IMI, Winchester white box, Federal XM80, or any of the other cheaper ammo my groups open up quite a bit. If I use Federal Gold Match 168gr OTM or the cheaper American Eagle 168gr OTM I get MUCH tighter groups.

YMMV but the SCAR 17 is capable of shooting 10 rounds without much change in the point of impact.

So you shouldn't have any problem.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice job with Irons. Can see where you adjusted right up the target. Good shooting.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Damn nice shoot'n. I'm going to try that Hornady AMAX. The SCAR 17 shoot factory ammo pretty darn well.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Great group there! A-max 168s have proven to be quite the performer in a lot of 308s. Good shooting there! :?
Okay, what the hell. I'll throw mine up too. FDE 17S with a Millett 1x6x24. 168 gr. Hornady Amax.

View attachment 37846

·
Registered
660 Posts
Here's one of my 5 shot groups @ 100yds with a CQBSS 1.1-8x24 Granted it's not done with the red dot Delta Point, but now you have me curious on how I will do with just the dot. I've got to try that now. Good safe shooting to you all.

crop 1 IMG_1792.JPG

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Here's one of my 5 shot groups @ 100yds with a CQBSS 1.1-8x24 Granted it's not done with the red dot Delta Point, but now you have me curious on how I will do with just the dot. I've got to try that now. Good safe shooting to you all.

View attachment 37869
What ammo please? Nice shooting.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rifle is sighted in to be 1.5" high at 100 yards. This was my last 5 shot group when I sighted it in last month.

16S in Black, eotech XPS-3 with 3X flip down magnifier, used a bipod off my back deck. Ammo is green tip federal 68 grain.

That is REALLY good for a SCAR 16. I tried to use the CBC Mk262 77gr clone in both of my SCAR 16s yet I wasn't able to get a group like that. The CBC Mk262 clone shoots very small groups out of my 16" stainless BCM, but I cannot get a really good group out of my SCAR 16s.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts