FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone making, or going to make, a sight base for those small red dot sights? I'm sure many of us would be willing to purchase!

·
Registered
48 Posts
+1 here too. But only if it allows for mounting with no modification of the slide or covor please.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had mine done without any modification to the slide or cover (I chose to remove the front sight but didn't need to). We did however, need to modify the rear adjustable sight. If I want to go back to stock I will need to buy another rear sight. Unfortunately the smith that did my job is not working on guns any more. He is now completely devoted to manufacturing suppressors.

MadDog :cry:

·
Registered
5 Posts
In a thread on this very forum a shop in Oklahoma offered to provide a mount for IIRC 165.00. The sight if you have to buy one is in the 250.00 range.
I would consider selling mine for 275.00 without sight. It does not require mods to the cover or sight base.
So is the problem no one to make a mount but rather they are to pricey?
B

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shipedog said:
my brother bought a addapter for a glock made a few mods to it
checked all clearences added a 30$ red dot works fine
Is this one that attaches to the rail [under the barrel], or to the rear sight (after the site has been removed, that is)?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Rear site.

We at EA have one in the works, but who knows when we will have the time to complete the project.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JWolf said:
Rear site.

We at EA have one in the works, but who knows when we will have the time to complete the project.
Well, I hope that you DO find the time because I would be interested in such a mount. :?

·
Registered
405 Posts
We are trying,
currently all of our Machinists time is being used for our Dillon 650 prototyping and production project.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Rob

And I am still working on the prototype. Once it's done it will be going to my CNC guy to scan in and make a production prototype.

I am waiting on my Dillon 650 shell plate production prototype to arrive. Once that's out of the way and into production it will free up more time for the base.

Time it all comes down to time.

Jay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Orion Wrote:
Is this one that attaches to the rail [under the barrel], or to the rear sight (after the site has been removed, that is)?
Easiest way to mount a red dot without any modification to the gun itself is to buy a "Universal Fit Weaver Style Dual Rail Scope Mount". Got one from m1surplus.com (item #01532). I've seen these on a few other sites as well. All run under $20.

Its basically a mount that attaches to the front rail and has a piece that comes up along the left side of the gun. On top of this is a full length weaver rail approx 5 inches long. I mounted a NCStar red dot to the rail. The rail itself sits high enough for me to still be able to use the factory sights. It lets the slide cycle normally and case ejections are not a problem.

The mount also has a 1.5 inch weaver rail on the bottom so you can attach a laser or light to the mount itself...you loose about 0.5 inches compared to the actual gun rail.

I have pics of mine but can not post them.

Pros:
Cheapest and quickest option
Sturdy mount
Dosen't move with slide as direct red dot mounts do
Sits high enough to use factory sights
Lite weight
Could mount scope also
Dosen't look too bad
No modification to gun
Still have rail underneath front to mount light or laser
Quick removal of red dot/scope and mount

Cons:
Holster - would have to modify something to get it to work
Concealed carry - adds some bulk (see holster also)
Not quite as cool as mounting it directly to the gun (looking at previous pics and posts)

Not sure if anyone has suggested this item. Its another way to get a red dot mounted on a 5.7 without a lot of work or cost.

This may be the item that was referenced in the "Glock Mount" post just above. You would not need to modify or remove the factory sights in any way with this product.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The unfortunate thing is that attaching anything to the rail on the FsN pistol that is not completely balanced will invariably lead to the rail breaking off.

I've had it happen nearly a dozen times already.

The accessory rail just can't handle the side-to-side movement of something attached to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts