FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I'm ready for the flame and this is not intended to be a troll thread. I started looking through some threads and there's just too much to sort through so I thought I would just post the question.

Why 5.7? What's the advantages and dis-advantages over other rounds (9mm, .40, .45). Why would I want to buy it?

I recently purchased a FNP-9 and really love it and like most of you guys, I'm always looking for something different.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
One distinct advantage of the 5.7 weapons (Five-seveN and PS-90) is the number of rounds you can carry. Up to 50 rounds (100 in 2 coupled mags) in the PS-90 and up to 30 in the Five-seveN pistol.

Also, have you shot one of these weapons? The perceived recoil on the pistol and carbine is so little, re-acquisition of the target after the first shot is very quick.

It's a good, valid question, I'm sure others will post more reasons they like the 5.7

:eek:

·
Registered
475 Posts
have you every shot a conventional pistol at more than 25 yards and hit what you were aiming at? i've shot my FSN at a b-27 target at 100 yards and made hits, enough said.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked out the 5.7 sub forum, and understand the ballistics data. Looks like a very interesting round.

I see in several threads and ads of Gunbroker that this is "sure to be banned". So, if that is the case, what will happen. FN will no longer be able of mfg the weapon, ammo, or both? I would hate to drop 1K for the handgun and then in 6 months I can no longer be able to buy ammo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
cruzthepug said:
I see in several threads and ads of Gunbroker that this is "sure to be banned". So, if that is the case, what will happen. FN will no longer be able of mfg the weapon, ammo, or both? I would hate to drop 1K for the handgun and then in 6 months I can no longer be able to buy ammo.
I wouldn't put too much weight into the hysteria. Personally, I'm not a big fan of dealers that use scare tactics to sell their firearms and won't purchase from them if they do. Certainly it's been shown that one particular political party would like to place additional bans and restrictions on firearms. They are going to try and do so as much as they can -- not for the safety of the populace but in order to disarm and gain more power over that populace. That being said, the president elect wants 8 years and not just 4. If he re-news the AWB during the first 4 years then he is far less likely to win a second term. If the AWB is re-instated, it won't just be the Five-seveN that is affected. All hi-cap magazines will be banned from future production. You would still be able to own and use the firearms you owned -- just wouldn't be able to purchase new ones that fell into the AW category.

As far as why the 5.7x28MM is a viable round, here's what I like about it:

Versatility -- first, it's a carbine round that runs flat through the PS-90 at 200 yards. The PS-90 is such a compact well designed carbine that a 10 year old could shoot and handle it well. Compared to using an AR as a civilian PDW, it's shorter, lighter, and has 50 round mags. 5.7x28MM is less expensive than .223 Rem as well so you can shoot it more often than that AR or Mini-14. The BONUS is that I can load a pistol weighing less than 20oz with 20 rounds of the same ammunition. The pistol has a 150 yard range to it and man, does it shoot fast. By fast I mean that I can accurately reacquire my sights quickly because of the balance and manageable recoil. Ammunition pricing for a pistol is comparable to .357 Mag or .45 ACP pricing. I can't think of any other round that fills this niche. Yup, both firearms are expensive -- but I have never regretted either purchase and thoroughly enjoy shooting this platform.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
The gentlemen here took the words out of my mouth.....See if you can rent one and you will be in love. Another thing that I like about the Five-seveN is that it is extremely light so I tend to cc that with 20/30rnd mags. What other pistols can you say that about with the mag cap, range, and have a light weight???

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been doing a lot of reading the past several days and I still cannot get wrapped around this one. I do think (speakng of the handgun) that this has a place, but that place would be in a more military/combat setting. I don't think it serves a purpose in the civilian home/self defense role. I have tried to justify a need to purchase the fiveseven but can't, and lord knows I love to spend money on things I really don't need.

I do bevieve that if I could shoot one I might change my mind, but why would I have the need to shoot something at 100yds? I understand I can fire multiple rounds without loosing the target in my sights but if a BG is in my house at the end of the hall, I think my 1911 loaded with JHP .45acp rounds would do the trick.

If I had plenty of money this looks like this would be a great weapon to have the the arsenal, but for me it's just way to expensive for something that would be nothing more than a plinker. Don't flame me, but it's that I have several other guns on my want list that I can better justify buying before the fiveseven. With that said don't think if I run across a super deal on one I won't buy it :cool:

·
Registered
857 Posts
the only reason I have it is because that's what the ps90 fires and i wanted a ps90 - i really have no opinion on the round other then I'll take 50 rounds in my ps90 of 5.7 over 10 of anything else

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally got to fondle a 5.7 :cool: . While at my local shop last Friday on my weekly trip just to see what's new, I saw it hid in the corner of one of the cases. Looked in that case many, many times and don't recall ever seeing it. I do remember a PS90 hanging on the wall but not the 5.7. Man, that thing is light, almost don't feel real. I still would like to shoot one, but just too much to sped to try.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
cruzthepug said:
Finally got to fondle a 5.7 :cool: . While at my local shop last Friday on my weekly trip just to see what's new, I saw it hid in the corner of one of the cases. Looked in that case many, many times and don't recall ever seeing it. I do remember a PS90 hanging on the wall but not the 5.7. Man, that thing is light, almost don't feel real. I still would like to shoot one, but just too much to sped to try.
Buy it like Ship said....Funny thing was I went into a different gun shop today and was looking at 5.7x28 and the guy tried to tell me that they were going to take this round off the shelves next month. Nice scare tactic to buy it ehh?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
$25 is all they wanted to come off the price. :cry: I guess a 5.7 will just have to wait. There are a lot of guys at the club I just joined that do a lot of skeet shooting, I need to be looking for a good over/under 12 ga.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you are interested in a 5.7, you should shop around the net. I found mine for $750 (USG) a couple years ago NIB. I think a dealer was liquidating some of the extra guns they had to get to get the FS2000.

I paid $800 for my IOM in 2004.

The better purchase right now would be the 5.7. You can get a Citori after Obama's been in for a couple years...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts