873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They cost no more to manufacture.

What's the deal?

:-?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Sorry if it's a stupid question, but what does FDE stand for? I assume you guys are talking about the tan/olive drab/earth tone polymer 45s right?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sir.

FDE = Flat Dark Earth.

And it's available on all 3 calibers, and the Five-seveN.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Must be that special baby poop colored dye they have to put into the polymer batch. Costs $ you know. :D

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Demand I guess - who knows. I had to pay $100 more for my black PS90 over the green model. That was the deal when the black ones first came out. At the time, they were "limited editions."

·
Registered
249 Posts
I thought the FDE color only came with the USG models, which have the external safety.

Am I wrong?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I thought the FDE color only came with the USG models, which have the external safety.

Am I wrong?
?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Correct. The USG models are FDE only. My thoughts on why the USG's are more expensive has to do with the amount that will be manufactured VS. the changes in fire control groups. The Regular DA/SA are the most common and there fore will be cheaper due to availability and the fact that the tooling has probably paid for itself by now. Obviously with the manual safety on the USG models there had to be some changes. I thought they were just going to carry over the Browning parts but I must say, I don't think that is the case. I got to hold a USG40 today and the Safety/Decocking lever operated much nicer than my Browning. I was very impressed that that was cleaned up. The only thing I wish is that they made the lever more contoured to the frame like the 45. If the USG models sell well, it might be possible that the price will go down sometime due to the amount of units and availability going up. But I use that phrase lightly cause nothing seems to be going down in price these days. Although I do not know if FN has put a cap on how many they wish to produce. That will also control prices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts