FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a scar 17 and ran two hundreds rounds through it out, just to see what all the buzz was all about and the trigger on it was....actually amazing. It's a black 17, and fairly new so maybe fn has starting putting new triggers in but it wasn't rough at all, there was very little creep and it had an amazing reset. It felt like a smooth 5ish pound pull. I would compare the trigger to the stock trigger I had in my weatherby hunting rifle. It was a stock trigger too. Hitting the plate at 450 yards wasn't hard at all, I hit it ten out of ten times. I wish I could post the video up. Are these awesome triggers just a recent addition or what? Why does everybody else hate them?

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
The SCAR triggers seem to run the gamut from good to downright terrible. One of mine wasn't bad at all, the other was heavy and gritty. But if you got a good one...rock on with it.

Reactions: Kev

·
Registered
289 Posts
The one mine came with was mushy and heavy. Like trying to pull a golf ball through jello. I upgraded it to the SuperSCAR and it felt like the biggest and best upgrade with mine. As akita said, if you were lucky enough to get a good one, go buy a lottery ticket 'cause the luck is with you.

Reactions: samnev

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
There is a LOT of variation in the triggers. I tried all the triggers on the last batch I had and 2 were pretty good. Good enough that I probably wouldn't change them, if they were mine. The rest...not so much.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the mr762, but played with many scars in the search for my 762 platform. The stock scar trigger has way too much play in it. It also has an unpredictable break. This is my opinion and everyone has their own. I haven't played with the super scar trigger, but I do know when I get a scar I will be putting it in the same day

·
Registered
354 Posts
The one mine came with was mushy and heavy. Like trying to pull a golf ball through jello. I upgraded it to the SuperSCAR and it felt like the biggest and best upgrade with mine. As akita said, if you were lucky enough to get a good one, go buy a lottery ticket 'cause the luck is with you.
You are very lucky both my 16S and 17S had gritty heavy triggers that broke around 8 pounds. Both were replaced with Geissele Super SCAR triggers.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I purchased mine in November and it by no means came with an awesome trigger. I highly doubt yours has a 5lb trigger pull on it. I'd bet it's at least an 8lb pull. Trigger pull gauges aren't all that expensive and are an easy way to tell what the stock/aftermarket trigger truly pulls at not a "guesstimate" with your finger gauge. For a battle rifle could most of us survive with a 8lb mushy pull? Sure but the majority chose to switch it out for something a lot lighter and more crisp. I did a 5 pull average with the stock trigger and after I installed the Timney and the numbers don't lie not to mention all the creep/over travel was removed. 20150220_110743_resized.jpg 20150220_113435_resized.jpg

·
Vendor
1,805 Posts
Several issues:

1. Single stage versus two stage. I'm a fan of two stage. ShootingSight and Geisselle are both 2-stage. OEM and Timney are both single stage. It's a personal preference thing, but I will estimate that the vast majority of competitive rifles being shot in the Service Rifle Class are 2-stage. Some people prefer single stage, and that is just their preference, not that there is anything wrong with it.
2. Pull force. The hight SCAR pull force is partly due to the fact that it is a poor design that Eugene Stoner screwed up in the M16, and then FN copied. Geometry is modified in all 3 after market candidates to fix this.
3. Roughness. Some of this can be polished out, or some triggers you get lucky.
4. Improved hammer spring in the ShootingSight trigger, though I sell these springs separately so you can upgrade the FN or the Geisselle setup with my spring. It shaves 1 ms off the hammer swing time, which is the slowest hammer swing of any rifle I have ever measured. The hammer is just plain too heavy and the spring is way undersized. My setup has a lighter/faster hammer and a better spring. Just the spring gets you part way there.
5. Steel quality. Better steel = stronger steel, so the sear tips will stand up to wear and stay sharper longer, giving you a crisp break. I use rolled plate tool steel which is about as good as you can get. Geisselle advertises that they use cast tool steel (enter the cast versus forged discussion), and I think FN uses a case hard low carbon steel, like an 8620, though I don't actually know what their alloy is.
6. Extra effort to polish the sear surfaces. All my triggers get mounted on a surface grinder, and then hand polished to put a mirror finish on the sear surfaces. Geisselle likely also uses some final process. These processes give a smoother pull, but cost money, so a OEM is not likely to go this extra distance.

I think the real question here is not just which trigger is better, but also 'is the trigger adequate'? Truth is that for some people the FN trigger is adequate. Roll with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 17S had a trigger pull of 7.5 - 8.5 lbs read with a digital trigger pull gauge (10 readings). Gritty pull and an OK trigger break.
Installed a Geissele Super SCAR trigger: 3.5 -4.5lbs read with a digital trigger pull gauge (10 readings). Smooth pull and a Crisp break. This is a two-stage trigger so I just pulled through the 1st stage to take the readings.
The out-of-the-box SCAR 17S comes with a MILSPEC trigger and is designed to operate reliably in harsh environments (mud, hot, cold, sand, dropping on hard surfaces, etc).
I have not put my 17S through mud, sand etc with the Geissele trigger, so don't know if the Geiselle trigger is as robust of the MILSPEC trigger? Any you guys know?

·
Registered
16 Posts
My trigger seems to have no pull... It simply breaks when enough force is applied. It doesn't travel until the break is that normal?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
In my case, three of them really sucked and one you could deal with but was still heavy, the others were very gritty with a lot of creep. I replaced all of them ! This is total B.S. for the factory trigger to be this poor of quality, considering it cost you $223.75 , that's almost what you pay for a match trigger. Just because it's a battle trigger does not mean it couldn't be 7# and crisp with no creep.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It must be an FN thing. HiPower pistols have a reputation for crappy triggers, but I've found they vary a lot. Kinda like SCARs. Must be tradition.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I just bought a scar 17 and ran two hundreds rounds through it out, just to see what all the buzz was all about and the trigger on it was....actually amazing. It's a black 17, and fairly new so maybe fn has starting putting new triggers in but it wasn't rough at all, there was very little creep and it had an amazing reset. It felt like a smooth 5ish pound pull. I would compare the trigger to the stock trigger I had in my weatherby hunting rifle. It was a stock trigger too. Hitting the plate at 450 yards wasn't hard at all, I hit it ten out of ten times. I wish I could post the video up. Are these awesome triggers just a recent addition or what? Why does everybody else hate them?
glad you got one with a trigger you like.

i just think that for the pricepoint of a scar17 it should not have the trigger pull of a dpms polymer panther...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought the geissele before my scar made it to the ffl. SCAR beat the geiselle to me so it went out stock and I have to say that I got a phenomenal model. Very predictable break and not too heavy at all. The two stage is nice, but $325 is insane. I knew what I was getting into since this rifle is pretty niche so no complaints but it's a little disappointing that my patience didn't exist when I put the cash down on this bad boy. I would have never bought the geiselle until maybe I was going 500 or deeper but even then I'm still not sure that the stock trigger wasn't enough.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Because they do. Most of the time. Every now and again someone pops up and asks this question and most everyone else that has a dumpster trigger scratches their head and says "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" :-D

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Some of them do and some of them don't. Mine was passable about like a stock AR trigger or an M16 without 3rd burst but when I was fondling one my friend was thinking about buy at LGS it had a HORRIBLE trigger!

Luck of the draw I guess but any of them will work in your spare parts kit once you get a decent aftermarket trigger.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
My 17s trigger was decent (replaced by timney), my 16s trigger is the worst.... Horrible. It will be replaced by the shooting sight offering.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
my 16 was terrible, 8-9 lbs and gritty. My 17 wasn't as bad, but I replaced them both. I'm sure Art's trigger is nice, but I bought my Geiselles before he was offering them. They are expensive, but truly exceptional.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts