FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess my title pretty much says it, why are 5.7 pistols so much more expensive than similarly constructed pistols like Glocks, S&W M&P's, FNP's, XD's, ect. Is it because of the caliber, or ???

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, U gotta watch out - some places gouge ya on the price.

I paid $779 for mine in Aug.

Look at what HKs cost...

Now, some places charge $1000. I wouldn't pay that...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I guess my title pretty much says it, why are 5.7 pistols so much more expensive than similarly constructed pistols like Glocks, S&W M&P's, FNP's, XD's, ect. Is it because of the caliber, or ???
a Five-seveN also has a lot of parts compared to those other pistols. thus likely more labour and machining into them.

but that said, you cant possibily compare a Glock or an XD with a Five-seveN...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well. Five-Seven is made in Belgium and the dollar has lost a lot of its value compared to euro. Wages and materials are paid in Euro's. Five-Seven also probably costed a lot more to develop than other guns in traditional calibers and finally because people are apparently prepared to pay that amount of money? Why is the Ipod so expensive compared to other MP3 players?

·
Registered
152 Posts
solidarnosc said:
Well. Five-Seven is made in Belgium and the dollar has lost a lot of its value compared to euro. Wages and materials are paid in Euro's. Five-Seven also probably costed a lot more to develop than other guns in traditional calibers and finally because people are apparently prepared to pay that amount of money? Why is the Ipod so expensive compared to other MP3 players?
+1, its all about the dollar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why is the Five-Seven USG so expensive?

The previous mention of the dollar versus the euro doesn't really hold much water since the price hasn't changed with the change in the value of the euro. Anything with the FN brand name is going to be expensive in my experience. (That's why I bought an old Century R1A1 instead of an FN/FAL at three times the price). Same thing with SIG. I have some SIG's and you definitely get what you pay for there. I haven't been able to afford a USG yet, but I expect the same will be true there. I shot a PS90 at the range and I was amazed at the accuracy and the ease of shooting. I had never shot one before and ALL of my shots were in the 10-ring except for 1 flyer (my fault). There are certainly some gun shops that take advantage of the FN name and overcharge whatever they think the market will bear. I've seen some decent ($780-$850) prices at a couple of gun shows, but never at a gun shop. The USG is one heck of a design.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Re: Why is the Five-Seven USG so expensive?

billy396 said:
The previous mention of the dollar versus the euro doesn't really hold much water since the price hasn't changed with the change in the value of the euro. Anything with the FN brand name is going to be expensive in my experience. (That's why I bought an old Century R1A1 instead of an FN/FAL at three times the price). Same thing with SIG. I have some SIG's and you definitely get what you pay for there. I haven't been able to afford a USG yet, but I expect the same will be true there. I shot a PS90 at the range and I was amazed at the accuracy and the ease of shooting. I had never shot one before and ALL of my shots were in the 10-ring except for 1 flyer (my fault). There are certainly some gun shops that take advantage of the FN name and overcharge whatever they think the market will bear. I've seen some decent ($780-$850) prices at a couple of gun shows, but never at a gun shop. The USG is one heck of a design.
I don't know if that's entirely correct. FNP f.e. is quite inexpensive compared to other similar quality handguns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts