FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has now been going on for yrs. and I don't really know why since it was the cheapest ammo available, I know it cant be reloaded and lately many have bought a lot of .22 guns due to high ammo prices or lack of availability of other cal. But while a few yrs ago much ammo went sky high but now is back down to almost normal!

So is there some kind of "Conspiracy"? Surely not with .22! At shows i see CCI Stingers 100/count for $18.-$20. when they used to be $5. or so a few yrs. ago!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been trying to find some Stingers for my NAA 1 1/5 inch .22 back up Zombie gun just in case, but everywhere I look "OUT" it just gets old!
I know some people who always have in the last yrs. buy tons of ammo at Walmart then sell it for 5X higher price at Gunshows, but still?

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
I read a good explanation on this a while back. It is really a numbers game. If everyone that owns a 22 in the country were to go out and purchase 1 brick of ammo at once, you have exceeded the total industry manufacturing capacity for one year. We are going on two years now since the darkness fell and there is no indication that supply is close to catching up to demand. Everyone is still buying up all they can every time they see it because the mindset right now is I am never going to be caught short again. I would buy a case or two of it right now if I were given the opportunity as I suspect most would except Lester who caused the shortage to begin with. I honestly do not see things changing for at least another year minimum until all those who are without now acquire an amount they feel like is enough to ride out the next shortage, it will continue.

·
Premium Member
10,026 Posts
I always figured it was part of some grand effort to give people something additional to talk about online. Many people seem to really enjoy being exasperated.

(I'm just kidding...mostly)

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I always figured it was part of some grand effort to give people something additional to talk about online. Many people seem to really enjoy being exasperated.

(I'm just kidding...mostly)
I just could use 100 rounds of Stingers or so, but last few yrs. Walmart etc.. is sold out every time I check!

·
Registered
36 Posts
My FFL... he had an order for 18,000 rounds (Aguila) show up after waiting a year...I purchased 4 bricks for $40 each. 2 were for a friend. Price still too high but cheaper than anywhere else...he's already out. It's out there just gotta be in position when it shows. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
This has now been going on for yrs. and I don't really know why since it was the cheapest ammo available, I know it cant be reloaded and lately many have bought a lot of .22 guns due to high ammo prices or lack of availability of other cal. But while a few yrs ago much ammo went sky high but now is back down to almost normal!

So is there some kind of "Conspiracy"? Surely not with .22! At shows i see CCI Stingers 100/count for $18.-$20. when they used to be $5. or so a few yrs. ago!
I think you answered your question in your very first sentence " CHEAPEST ". Makes it the most affordable round to hoard and also it is a very popular caliber. I have not bought a box since it was $15 a brick, and will not till it comes down to at least $20 a brick. Yes I know, never going to happen. I don't care, I can ware out all my .22s and still stock a few gun show tables. However I do feel bad for my brothers in guns that didn't have the foresight or the means to see this coming. Guess I just thought that a 401K was the least amount of ammo I should have for each caliber of gun that I have.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In the last 6yrs. on 3 x i remember 7.62x39 going from $200 for 1k to $700.+ same with 5.56 ammo at $1000. for 1K, but they always came back down and now are close to 6 yrs. ago in price and are available all over!

I never cared for .22 lr except have a few rounds for my AR-7, but mainly I wanted some New Stingers for my Super Secret Zombie Slayer "hide away" NAA mini revolver with a 1 1/8 inch barrel, which I wear in a holster along with a 8 inch Zombie Slayer Knife around my Neck, but every 4 months or so the ammo due to humidity, sweat and exposure turns brown on the cartridges and the primers turn greenish (Hell no "Lester", I am not turning Zombie!)

So I replace them on a reg basis all 5 rounds at a time, 3X a yr now I only have about a dozen CCI left and I don't want to use questionable ammo during a Zombie Attack!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
In the last 6yrs. on 3 x i remember 7.62x39 going from $200 for 1k to $700.+ same with 5.56 ammo at $1000. for 1K, but they always came back down and now are close to 6 yrs. ago in price and are available all over!

I never cared for .22 lr except have a few rounds for my AR-7, but mainly I wanted some New Stingers for my Super Secret Zombie Slayer "hide away" NAA mini revolver with a 1 1/8 inch barrel, which I wear in a holster along with a 8 inch Zombie Slayer Knife around my Neck, but every 4 months or so the ammo due to humidity, sweat and exposure turns brown on the cartridges and the primers turn greenish (Hell no "Lester", I am not turning Zombie!)

So I replace them on a reg basis all 5 rounds at a time, 3X a yr now I only have about a dozen CCI left and I don't want to use questionable ammo during a Zombie Attack!
You carry a 22lr for personal protection?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I haven't seen any CCI stingers locally, but Mini mags are fairly available ($10/50). Other 22 is available on occasion as well.

I just got my 22 suppressor, so I've been shooting a fair bit of my stock (down to 800-900 rounds or so).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.