FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why isn't the FN Herstal SLP popular? I'm on many firearm forums and it seems as though the SLP isn't very sought after and people sorta pass them up.

The SLP has a better fit and finish then the Mossberg SPX and is a better bargain then the Benelli M4, so what gives? Is it that FN Herstal doesn't advertise as much as Mossberg/Benelli? Are there more cons about the SLP then I know about? Does the SLP have a bad reputation? Is it that the SLP is just very underrated? The price? The ratings it got in magazines? Is it that there are no accessories to be had? Could it be that the SLP's are sorta rare and arent in many gun shops for us to handle and see with our own eyes, so in return people that ARE in the market for this type of shotgun just completely rule it out for that one and only reason? Possible?

I want everybody here to be "neutral" and give me your honest opinion as to why you think the SLP is almost always the last to be considered in the pickings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jnewell said:
Hola...you should just link to the thread at SGW? ;)

I'll be the bad guy and say: "Only because FNH doesn't really want to sell them."

Discussion?
You would think there would be more discussion about it on this forum?
:eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
You've got to be kidding me. You're posting a thread on an FN-enthusiast forum as to why you think that
people sorta pass them [SLPs] up
?

Even if that is true what difference does it make to SLP owners? It's a fine firearm, which, in the hands of a knowledgeable owner can serve its purpose extremely well.

I've run into people who do this ( :lol: ) when I say I have an FN Herstal shotgun. You know what my response is to them? "You don't know anything about what makes a good firearm."

There are pros and cons to any one firearm, but it all depends on what works for individual owners. I chose the SLP Mk I over any other shotgun out there (including the M4) because of its magazine capacity, very fast semi-auto action, great reliability (with the right ammo), design, and price. You get more "bang for your buck" with the SLP than you do with the M4 because the SLP costs less.

I like the fact that I can fire NINE 12 gauge shells as fast as I can pull the trigger. If I load high velocity slugs in there and empty the magazine into a single target, whatever it is I am quite confident it won't be getting back up.

You should try posting this thread at a Lotus or Maserati enthusiast forum. Try asking an Exige owner why Hondas are more popular than fine British racing cars. Get my point?

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Well, I use my shotguns for hunting, so I have Benelli's for that and love them. I don't have an M4 but would like to get one eventually. It also doesn't help that there are NO FN dealers withing 70+ miles of me and Benelli's, Mossberg's, and just about any other shotgun you can get your hands on (besides FN) are at almost every gun shop in my area.
FN isn't known for their shotgun's like those other companies are, so people will naturally pass them up because they don't think of FN as a shotgun manufacturer. When I hear FN, I think of their assault rifles, mg's and pistols, not their shotguns and long guns. I have to be honest, I haven't even seen an SLP in person and haven't heard much about them (besides this forum).

·
Registered
161 Posts
The same thing can probably be said about most of their products in the US. Even though FN is one of the oldest gun manufacturers in the world, has being doing business in the US since late 19the century and it provides 60% of small arms to US Army FN is relatively not very well known among "ordinary" Americans is my impression. FN is only targetting law enforcement and commercial markets in the US seriously since a couple of years in my opinion. Site, more publicity, new producs etc... Well the advantage of a small market share and brand awareness is lots of growth potential and with the products and people they have in the US I am sure they can grow fast.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just shot a sporting clay tournment this morning with a borrowed SLP and I loved it. Will be my next gun purchase.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I recently entered a drawing to win one. We'll see what happens with that. It would be nice to get a new, FREE gun :shock:

·
Registered
475 Posts
casio02478 said:
Because it is not used by the military nor is it popular with LE (compared to 870 and 500s).
+1, my gun shop had one in stock for over a year, i was interested in it but it wasn't at the top of my wish list so it sat on the shelf, just when i was thinking about buying it, it vanished :cry:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I pass on it because of the:

(1) Crossbolt safety (I shoot left handed);

(2) Higher price.

Other than that, I like what I have seen and read about them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts