FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of people here (and elsewhere) seem very excited about getting and having SBRs, but I'm not sure that I completely understand why. I must be the last to know, so I'd like to learn more.

I'll bet that those who went the SBR route did so for one or more of the following reasons:

1. Reducing the barrel length is necessary when mounting a suppressor, to keep the rifle's overall length manageable.
  2. A short barrel is better for close quarters combat because it is easier to use in tight spaces. Hopefully not much of this going on domestically, but this might also include home defense situations.
  3. Guys who used one in the military (presumably for reasons #1 or #2) now want to have one of their own.
  4. Guys who never were in the military, but want to be like one of them.
  5. It's an NFA item that not just anyone can easily get, and that's cool.
  6. None of the above, but it must be good for some unknown reason just because gun guys talk about it so much.
Are there any others?

At the moment, none of those apply to me or interest me, so I can't think of any reason why I would want to go the SBR route. I like my SCAR just as it is, and can't stand the thought of disfiguring it. But I'm always willing to learn something new, thus would really appreciate insight from "those in the know" on this subject.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
because FN released a modular weapon and now the beautiful shorter barrels that work for this awesome, battle proven combat rifle in all it modularity awesomeness. And, just wait until the 20" barrel assemblies are released.....then you have the best of all 3 worlds.......one weapon serving 3 different but yet very important roles....its all about mission specific modularity and either you can appreciate that or not - some do and some don't....I am in the earlier camp and not the later.....

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I will say that for the PS90 specifically, the P90 rifle was designed to have a 10.39-inch barrel, so SBR'ing the civilian version would simply be returning the gun to the barrel length that it was originally intended to have regardless of the arbitrary federal 16-inch barrel requirement

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
With a PS90 it's as close as most of us will ever get to a P90.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I want it because the government said I shouldn't have it.

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
1, 2, 3, and 5 for me, mostly 1 though...

Reactions: Mntsnow

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mainly 3 and also 2, Never know the situation you may find yourself in. But its different reasons, a SBR plays more of that CQB role. A 10 inch SCAR 16 with the folded stock makes a very compact package that can be easily used in a vehicle or in a backpack. Not saying I'd walk around with a SCAR in my backpack, thats what I have my glock for. But you never know, maybe you are camping or not in the greatest of areas.
Also the other big factor is the COOL factor and taking a SBR to the range. I took my 14.5 AR and 10.3 AR to the range and everyone stopped to look at what I was shooting. I had everyone coming up to me, asking me about my weapons.
I just think a 16 inch SCAR 16 is too long, a 14 inch SCAR would be much much better for every day use. I wouldn't 10inch my 17, but could see myself getting a 13 inch barrel to have along with a 16 for two different roles.

·
Registered
841 Posts
#1, #2, #5 in that order.

And echo #7 like BBG said -- because it's a modular weapon and I like being able to (once my paperwork gets approved) change between the 10" barrel configuration and the 16" barrel configuration from the factory. Gives me two high end guns in one two serve two different roles.

But mostly #1 being very nice with the silencer setup.

And most of all re: #5 -- because there's a real concern that a year from now it will be impossible to get an SBR where I live (no chance of CLEO signoff today) and it was important for me to lock in the ability to do it before that was taken away...

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
An SBR is easy to bring to bear and fire in a vehicle.

When clearing a building you have less of a protruding profile that can give you away. In the tenths / hundreths of a second that your barrel is extended through a corner, this visibility may give someone enough time to react.

You are taking the benefits of a rifle and bringing them closer to the concealment and maneuverable aspects of a pistol.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Chicks dig it. :smile:

Reactions: Kev

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
"I like your gun shorter." Said no woman ever.
Its a cool thing put in the (i) box on a form 1. The chicks I shoot with love all NFA stuff including SBR's and SBS's.:?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Because as a wise man once said "operators operate with them in operations".

·
Administrator
11,103 Posts
With a little mod here and a little mod there it can do everything that a P90 can do.

Same thing with my AR15......with a little mod here and a little mod there it can do everything that a M4 can do.

Same with my ..... Well, you get the picture. It is nice to have options when civilization comes to an end which is not as far fetched as some people think. I stress the term "can do" and not "will do" as "will do" is quite illegal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wish I could SBR my SCAR 16s but I live in CA :!:

But my reasoning for wanting to SBR is becuase it makes the weapen lighter, more compact, and more accurate. I have an an airsoft version of the SBR SCAR and I love the compactness of it. I can just fold the stock and it fits in a medium sized duffle bag or a larger backpack. In CQB its very manuverable and I don't have to worry about the barrel sticking out.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
But my reasoning for wanting to SBR is becuase it makes the weapen lighter, more compact, and more accurate.
SBR? More accurate? How so?

·
Registered
81 Posts
SBR? More accurate? How so?
Truth about guns did a very good test on barrel length and accuracy. They found that the shorter the length the more accurate the gun was. Even though it wasn't better by leaps or bounds, the shorter barrels performed slightly more accurate than the longer barrels dispelling that myth. They even found that velocity doesn't even drop by that much with the shorter barrels (depends on quality of ammo your shooting).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts