FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is an odd question, but would a PS90 fire if it's fired upside down? I don't own one nor have I shot one, but I know how the magazine works and that it uses gravity to let the cartridge "drop" into the open chamber.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It will fire. I have tried mine sideways and it forcefully extracts and ejects the case. The Ithaca model 37 shotgun has bottom loading and ejection and it shoots upside down very easily.

I'll try it later this week, but as long as the ammo is of sufficient pressure to operate the bolt, I have faith it will fling the brass out without fail.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The round is fed from the top, but it is driven into the chamber by the bolt. It doesn't rely on gravity to feed into the chamber.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand that it's the bolt that chambers the round. I guess I worded it a little wrong in my OP. What I was meaning is doesn't the magazine use gravity to get the cartridge into position so the bolt can chamber it?

·
Registered
163 Posts
No, if gravity were used it wouldn't fire on inclines or angles. It uses a tensioned spring to push the column of cartridges to the magazine cam. The magazine cam then turns the cartridge 90 degrees. There, it rests against the lips of the magazine until fed into the weapon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd say this about it - the magazine does feed by force of a spring, so it would feed at any angle.

The PS90 also very authoritatively ejects cartridges, and I'm sure that even inverted, spent cases would clear the ejection port with no problems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
yes

Yes it does fire upside down just dont leave the brass catcher on or the empty will fall back into the action(trust me I Know) without the catcher on the cases fly 15 to 20 feet up so dont put your face over the ejection port. (again trust me I Know)thank goodness I always wear saftey glasses.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Went shooting Thursday and yes, it shoots at all angles, including upsaide down. It wouldn't make much sense for FN to build a military arm that couldn't be used during an Australian rappel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts