FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So at last i got a chance to get out the range since the snow started flying and despite the bitter cold (4 below was the high here on sunday) the 90 ran great.

One thing that i did not notice until now was how small the trigger guard really is when trying to wear heavy gloves. I would think this would be a concern considering the climate of belgium but maybe central europe isn't as cold in the winter months as it is here. My friend's FS2000 and AR share the same problem.

I've never really owned any non soviet designed military type rifles until the PS90 and now i can see that the soviets were serious about building a rifle that could be used in extreme cold. From the short buttstocks to compensate for heavy coats to the oversized trigger guards that allow the use of gloves and large safety levers for the same.

It seems like the western countries really don't take the idea of a winter war seriously enough to design weapons that could be used in anything but a climate no further north than virginia.

Anyone else got an opinion on this ?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Understand, the PS90 was not meant to be military rifle to be used on the battlefield in place of larger weapons. It's more of an urban environment weapon - for closer combat ranges. A personal defense weapon.

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fullly understand that the P90 is designed to take the traditional role of the pistol, much like the M1 Carbine. However like i said, the AR platform, the FS2000 and the FAL that were all on hand that day had the same problem.

I just don't really forsee soldiers taking off thier gloves so to manipulate the weapon and engage the enemy as being effective combat tactics.

This probably should have been posted in the general firearms forum instead. :oops:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
As for thinking that military personnel wouldn't take off their gloves when things are about to get ugly... well there's an old saying about that: When the **** is about to hit the fan, the gloves come off!!!

As for wearing gloves in the winter for civilian purposes. Have you tryed using neoprene gloves instead of traditional thick gloves? They work great.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I only have Colts for ARs but the others I have seen were equipped with the winter trigger guard. I have never used it as I have never worn the gloves shooting and I feel the trigger is to much exposed.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
wildcard said:
So at last i got a chance to get out the range since the snow started flying and despite the bitter cold (4 below was the high here on sunday) the 90 ran great.

One thing that i did not notice until now was how small the trigger guard really is when trying to wear heavy gloves. I would think this would be a concern considering the climate of belgium but maybe central europe isn't as cold in the winter months as it is here. My friend's FS2000 and AR share the same problem.

I've never really owned any non soviet designed military type rifles until the PS90 and now i can see that the soviets were serious about building a rifle that could be used in extreme cold. From the short buttstocks to compensate for heavy coats to the oversized trigger guards that allow the use of gloves and large safety levers for the same.

It seems like the western countries really don't take the idea of a winter war seriously enough to design weapons that could be used in anything but a climate no further north than virginia.

Anyone else got an opinion on this ?
I find the area where the trigger goes to be quite large. Granted, I do not put the thumb from my other hand through the hole where the trigger is. I recall someone highlighting that you have no business putting your thumb of your other hand near the trigger.

I hadn't realized it before, but the guy was right. Now when I shoot the thumb of my left hand is outside the hole and runs along the charging handle. I actually think it improves my grip of the weapon.... and makes more sense long-run for safety.

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
devildoc said:
As for thinking that military personnel wouldn't take off their gloves when things are about to get ugly... well there's an old saying about that: When the **** is about to hit the fan, the gloves come off!!!
Well i'm sure the gloves come off, but in sub-zero temperatures they won't stay off for long; or else the fingers start coming off as well. :?

Yeah i have some neoprene gloves that i use in the spring/fall, but they just aren't warm enough for outdoors dec-feb.

I just find the whole thing interesting is all. Considering the climate where i live the soviet designs just make more sense overall.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Try a pair of Nomex flight crew gloves. Most post exchanges carry them, as well as the civvie market like Brigade Quartermaster.

I use these in all weather above zero. They are probably the most tactile gloves you can find, yet warm and they dry quickly if wet. Great for hunting or shooting and outdoor work.

They're usually about $20-25 bucks and come in a variety of colors (OD, tan, black).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts