FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To the board experts.

I have been using Winchester Small Rifle primers for 5.7x28mm that I have been loading for my PS90.

Since I can no longer find WSR primers, if I decide to switch to Wolf, should I purchase the small rifle primers due to their "softer" cup or the small rifle magnum primers?

I am also loading this for a FN FS2000 with a firing pin with the spring installed. Due to the spring lessening the impact of the firing pin, I have had a small number of 5.56 military rounds with hard primers fail to fire.

I would like to also use whatever primer I purchase for loading .223 for the FN2000.

Thanks,

Hoover

·
Administrator
12,074 Posts
Hoover 1 said:
To the board experts.

I have been using Winchester Small Rifle primers for 5.7x28mm that I have been loading for my PS90.

Since I can no longer find WSR primers, if I decide to switch to Wolf, should I purchase the small rifle primers due to their "softer" cup or the small rifle magnum primers?

I am also loading this for a FN FS2000 with a firing pin with the spring installed. Due to the spring lessening the impact of the firing pin, I have had a small number of 5.56 military rounds with hard primers fail to fire.

I would like to also use whatever primer I purchase for loading .223 for the FN2000.

Thanks,

Hoover
I have never fired my FS2000 but because I reload with Wolf primers, I will put my .02 cents in.

If you buy the Wolf Small Rifle Magnum you may have to remove the captive firing pin from your FS2000 to ensure primer detonation.

If you buy the Wolf Small Rifle primers you will be OK.

The only difference between the Magnum primers and regular primers is the material used in the manufacture of the cup. The charge is the same in both the Magnum and standard primers.

Here is the site: http://www.wolfammo.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=120

I use Wolf Small Pistol primers exclusively in my 5.7x28mm loads and find them to perform flawlessly with one exception - that being that the standard primers will show some cratering on hot loads while the Magnums will not. This is a good thing for load development.

For .223 (AR15) I use CCI 41 primers.

The general purpose of the Wolf Magnum and CCI41 primers is to PREVENT slam fires due to the harder construction of the cups but the CCI41's also have about 32% more 'ignition' power than the standard primers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts