FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WILLIAMSON COUNTY-- A Marion woman is out of the hospital after being accidentally shot Wednesday afternoon.
Authorities think the victim was hit by a bullet fired at Tombstone gun range off Skyline Drive; she was half a mile away at the time.

Signs line the property of Tombstone Gun Range warning about the dangers of entering the shooting area, but investigators believe a bullet strayed off the Marion property and hit someone down the road.
“I can't say for sure the round came from here, but people were shooting here and the round ended up over there,” explained Sheriff Bennie Vick.

Vick said three people were using the area designated for rifles, just before 1:45 p.m. He said those guns are capable of firing the bullet that ended up at a nearby union training facility.
“223's a high-velocity round, lightweight. And when they bounce they can travel half a mile pretty easily,” he added.

A female apprentice was hit in the face and taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. The incident has the victim and her coworkers questioning safety.
“I was speaking with some of them, and they're concerned about people still using the rifles and shooting in that direction,” Vick shared.

Tombstone Co-owner Dave Kemp takes concerns like those seriously.
“Ultimately you can do everything humanly possible to prevent that and sometimes things happen,” admitted Kemp.
He said the range is looking into whether anything could have been done to prevent the accident.
“We're trying to figure out if it was a design feature, or something completely external,” Kemp explained.
Vick said charges likely won't be filed, since the shooting appears to be unintentional.

“They're at a firearms range, you know, shooting weapons that the ranges are designed for,” said Vick.
For the time being, owners have voluntarily shut down the rifle area.
“If that makes people feel better at the moment, we definitely want to cooperate with that,” Kemp told News 3.
Deputies will return to the union training facility with metal detectors Thursday, in hopes of finding the bullet.

More: Sheriff: Woman Struck by Stray Bullet from Gun Range | WSILTV | Local News

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
At least she is ok.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
223's a high-velocity round, lightweight. And when they bounce they can travel half a mile pretty easily,” he added.
How do they know it was from a .223 without recovering the bullet? Did it graze her or was it a through and through? A half mile is a long way for a ricochet to travel or as the sheriff puts it "bounce". I am skeptical at best.

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a damn good thing it wasn't one of those buzz sawing, jack hammering, hole-saw cutting RIP rounds or she would of have been a gonner for sure! :?

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
How do they know it was from a .223 without recovering the bullet? Did it graze her or was it a through and through? A half mile is a long way for a ricochet to travel or as the sheriff puts it "bounce". I am skeptical at best.
May have skipped off the ground as well. Not sure what their backstop setup is, but it's possible it could have skipped over it as well if they were shooting well in front of it.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Exactly what is the extent of the damage to the woman's face? If the bullet "bounced" it might just have hit her and caused no more damage than a rock flying out of the tire of a car down the road or a penny sized piece of ice falling out of a tree. This happened to me the other day and I got a small welt and a scratch, something that could be considered a "non-life-threatening injury."

So she took a hit to the face and she didn't have any injuries which prevented her from telling all her co-workers and friends about the issue right away. The bullet was retrieved and caliber was able to be ascertained by the bullet alone, without a casing.

How much are you willing to bet that the bullet scratched her, fell to the ground, she retrieved it and started screaming because she had been "shot" and went to the hospital? This is obviously pure speculation on my part :tongue:

In any case, a good reminder to make sure you know what is beyond your immediate target and to not do anything that will put us all in the sights of anti-gun journalists.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
How much are you willing to bet that the bullet scratched her, fell to the ground, she retrieved it and started screaming because she had been "shot" and went to the hospital?
In that case, I've been 'shot' several times while pheasant hunting. Oh the fun you can have when you surround a 10 acre swale with a bunch of guys and get pelted with shot...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts