FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was so won over by the many charms of the PS-90 that I sold my AR and picked one up (USG in black). The AR was nice but for the role I wanted it for the PS90 was a better choice for me.

Also picked up a Five seveN as well. It has already become my daily CCW and home gun. It's a little large for CCW (I am 5'10" and 180lbs) but as the man said "carrying a gun should be comforting not comfortable" The weight is a huge plus, even it's bulk is easy to deal with concealed. Best of all I can shoot it well one handed, a huge plus in a handgun that I think is often overlooked by some. I have 6 1911s that I can shoot well two handed but one handed is a different story. The Five seveN is a great balance of everything IMO.

Sold a Glock 17 and a K98 Mauser to purchase this one.

Only shot both once (350rds total) so far but both are keepers. I shot both well although the white donut made the PS-90 harder to shoot than it should have been. Of course I had to buy some "gear" for them!

For the PS90:
3 x 50 rd mags (4 total so far, converted the original 30rd to 50rd)
750 rds of SS197
250 Rds of SS195
2 Point sling (Vestguy)
2 mag belt pouch (Vestguy)
REM sight (the white donut sight is a pretty bad design IMO)
4 x magazine replacement springs
Sling attachment (Magazineparts.com)
Extended charging handle (FSE USA) ~ Standard is too small IMO
Side attachment rail (currently wearing a Surefire G2)

For the Five seveN:
2 x 20 rd magazines (5 total)
2 mag belt pouch (Vestguy)
Kramer horshide IWB holster
Glaco OWB holster
Glaco OWB magazine carrier
Blackhawk holster
2 x 30rd magazine conversion kits

I am tempted to add a 2nd Tacrail and a Lasermax Uni-Max in either red or green. I am holding back as I do not want to take away the PS-90s best quality, it slim and short size. Even the Surefire makes it seems less balanced than before. I am tempted to ditch the light and just leave the gun as is with the sling and extended charging handle added. What does everyone think about this subject?

So far I have been very impressed with both guns. I have been scaling down my guns and calibers for the past year and this combo is a sweet way to do that. (Down to six calibers from 16 last year! Currently have .22LR, 12GA, .45ACP, 5.7x28mm, .303 Brit and .30 Carbine)

Thanks for reading!

:D :)

·
Banned
151 Posts
Congrats on both your new guns. I traded my AR also for the PS90 and never looked back. Got a older IOM FiveseveN and love it to. Also thats a pretty long list of accessories. Still working on mine.

·
Vendor
5,593 Posts
The PS90 ROCKS!!! It is so much better than an AR IMHO. So much easier to clean and shoot. I only shoot 150 yards or closer so the PS90 is the best. :?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Woohoo! Just got a email that my REM shipped, should be here in 3-5 days!

I agree on the 150yrds. That was what I meant when I said it fit the role I needed better than the AR.

IMO the PS-90 is better than the AR at:

Home Defense because of it's size and the fact that those 5.56mm will fly thur the walls much more o than the SS197s will. Living in a multi room house that concerns me with the AR.

"Bug out" gun or what some would call a SHTF type gun. Here in SE Texas that means Hurricanes and evacs.....the PS90 is clearly easier to tote in a vehicle or on foot even when evacs are needed than an AR. In a pinch in could be concealed, not so with the AR. Ammo and mags are also easier to carry round for round.

Cross compatibility with a handgun ammo wise.....not on the AR.

All in all a better fit for me. Not concerned with range as anything over 100yrds I am beating feet out not trading fire. As for "stopping power" I think that is one of the most misunderstood issues on most gun forums. Anybody who does not think a few SS197s center mass will end the issue watch too many action movies. I have had AKs, FALs, Garands and ARs.....the PS90 offers a better combo than any of them. The M1 Carbine is a great little gun in these roles as well.

I still have a fondness for the AR platform and can see myself getting one again some day (I still have tons of ammo and mags for it!). But a 2nd PS90 is on the list first!

8)

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you are intrested in getting rid of the ammo and mags email me and we can talk see if I can help you get the2nd ps90. Thanks and congrats. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just get the 5.7 upper for the AR!

Once I get all my toys for the PS90 I might get the 57 pistol. All in good time!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Congrats! Another range report is in order, enquiring minds want to know! I agree w/you about the PS90 filling some roles better than an AR (easier to fire from prone or one-handed, can carry 2x as much ammo for the same weight, no muzzle flash, mild muzzle blast, very short & manueverable, etc). I also did the enlarged charging handle on the left side (where the off hand can reach it easier) but after going through many optics finally ditched the factory white reticle ringsight for the Aimpoint ML3 in the TROSUSA ultralow Aimpoint mount. I do believe in having a taclight for ID'ing targets and installed the P90 internal laser as well. Keep us posted and we expect to see pics sometime soon!...
Tomac

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice a factory laser.......I do not know much about those. Cost and availability come to mind and installation as well? That seems to be the perfect combo! Any ideals on these questions?

I will let you know about the ammo for the 5.56mm...I might have a local buyer. It's only just over 800 rds really and about 10 or so mags.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Ruggles said:
Nice a factory laser.......I do not know much about those. Cost and availability come to mind and installation as well? That seems to be the perfect combo! Any ideals on these questions?
A sponsor here does them - Promoted pawn.

Clock on his banner from the left side of the main page :?

·
Registered
569 Posts
A sponsor here does them - Promoted pawn.
Clock on his banner from the left side of the main page :?
+1 for Promoted Pawn for the installation. I don't know if he carries the actual units in stock but if not the only source I know of is DenTrinity, do a search for "P90 Laser": http://www.dentrinityshop.com/index_ie.jsp , their website is currently showing it for $259. What I like about it is that it protects the laser and places the emitter directly below & in-line w/the bbl so less co-incidencing problems. HTH...
Tomac

1 - 11 of 11 Posts