FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man am I glad to see this. I sure was tired of holding down the reverse button on the remote after watching a movie.

I can hear ya'll groaning out there. What do you expect, I watched Remo Williams yesterday and I haven't fully recovered yet.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ohhhh sweet... I need one of those. By the way, you don't have an extra finger tapping board do you? I need to brush up on my "Remo" skills.

Zhur

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That brings back memories...

If Houston was not so humid, I would use one of those myself. My mother used one in Indiana with great sucess. She would take us with her to the laundromat to wash the clothes. Then bring them home wet and hang them on the clothes line to dry. I was only a couple years old and the reason I remember it is because we alway got a chocolate "pop". It was around 1963.

I had an Aunt that was still using a scrub board and hand crank roller thing to squeeze that water out. It was in her basement sitting right next to the elctric washer and dryer. But she "just never got used" to electric one so she still used the crank. They lived on a farm in Bloomington. They made their own candles using bees wax from the hives that gave them honey.

They had tractors, but they also still had the horse drawn plows and harvesters. And the horses to pull them. Back then the power was not so reliable and often went out. They were just as happy without it as with it. They were 100% self reliable. Milk, eggs, bacon, beef, vegitables, chickens, fruit... of course they also got up at 4am, worked till 7am then had breakfast. By 9pm you were ready for bed.

I used to hate it when Mom would say I was going to spend the summer with them. The work and the smells ain't exactly something to look forward to when you're not brought up with it. But I also had the best fun of my childhood there. Riding horses, swinging out on a rope (or vine) out into the swimmin hole. Fishing, hunting, and just "exploring" the hills and hollers.

Every kid should get the chance to spend a few summers on a working farm or ranch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts