FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll post some pics in the reloading section, but the 16 can be quite accurate. I started with a few "pet loads" others have used in the AR, but just couldn't get under an inch at 100. As things get better, I can finally take up the trigger slack and then have it break, but if I rush, it will break and I'll spoil the group. Muscle memory has me holding, and often flinching, like I'm on the 17, and that can spoil the fun. As the recoil is so light, I have to laugh that I'd get unsettled as the 16 is mild. As with the 17 I'm finding better accuracy on the low powder loads. If I warm up with hot Nato loads, it will shoot around 1.5 to 2.5 and I haven't done better with most of my own. So I had to dig out the Varget, and now the game is on. Don't sweat the 16, it's a heck of a good shooter:arrow:

·
Registered
367 Posts
The biggest hindrance to good groups with the 16S or 17S is the heavy and somewhat gritty trigger. I highly recommend the Geissele Super Scar trigger. It cut my groups in half. My 17S trigger broke at 8.1 pounds and the 16S wasn't much better. Which is totally unacceptable to me for a weapons in this price range.

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
See, my optic is my limitation to some degree. The triangle on my Mepro is a little harder to be precise on compared to an Eotech. But, I wanted a battery free optic. And, my eyes don't allow me to use any kind of red dot. So, it is my only option. But, group sizes are not as good as I could do with an Eotech. But, the optic isn't made for 1/2 inch groups either. It's just made for quick use on a man sized target at long distances.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Thank you for sharing. I am new to reloading and I find everything informative and interesting.

I am doing my learning on my 5.56 bolt rifle first, then when I get that down I will load some up for my Scar 16, which is black, so I expect it will do a little better than yours. :?:

Reactions: marko

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See, my optic is my limitation to some degree. The triangle on my Mepro is a little harder to be precise on compared to an Eotech. But, I wanted a battery free optic. And, my eyes don't allow me to use any kind of red dot. So, it is my only option. But, group sizes are not as good as I could do with an Eotech. But, the optic isn't made for 1/2 inch groups either. It's just made for quick use on a man sized target at long distances.
As long as it's fun, and chasing accuracy can take the fun out of things. I'll go back to my 4X Elcan after I tire of my efforts. Then a bad shot is all on me and I don't worry about it. My job brings me past the range so I can pop in most days. I get a good feel for the rifle, but it's not the best for comparing loads, as I have about 15min to get in what I have planned. I almost bought a super accurate bolt gun, but decided I'll never compete and I loose interest in things if it becomes somewhat easy. For me the hard long trip is better than the destination. When I put up my targets I sometimes see some real good ones, which keeps me coming back for more, and wow some guys and their rifles can really nail it--so good for them!!

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
As long as it's fun, and chasing accuracy can take the fun out of things. I'll go back to my 4X Elcan after I tire of my efforts. Then a bad shot is all on me and I don't worry about it. My job brings me past the range so I can pop in most days. I get a good feel for the rifle, but it's not the best for comparing loads, as I have about 15min to get in what I have planned. I almost bought a super accurate bolt gun, but decided I'll never compete and I loose interest in things if it becomes somewhat easy. For me the hard long trip is better than the destination. When I put up my targets I sometimes see some real good ones, which keeps me coming back for more, and wow some guys and their rifles can really nail it--so good for them!!
Yes, I have found what I consider good enough for me. With the same optic, I shoot the SCAR much better than the Steyr AUG I had prior to the SCAR. I sold the AUG and bought the SCAR 16S. I do not regret it. The SCAR trigger is fantastic compared to a SCAR

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What lube are you using on your cold weather scar?
Funny, I didn't even give it a thought. It's still factory lubed and I dry patched the barrel. I tend to go pretty light on my lube and should try setting some lube outside to see what flows. I'm thinking it wouldn't be a big issue until after 10-15 below, more thin and synthetic the better.

I remember a Guard weekend we were out at -22f with Miles equipment and blanks. We spent the night in tents and the another unit was to attack us at night--then didn't show. The A2's gummed up so bad with powder and CLP that they just wouldn't function more than 2 or 3 rds at a time. The batteries in the miles stopped working and most just tried to hide in their tents. As the supply guy/armorer assistant, I took a lot of guys ammo and ran around shooting people at night (they thought I was the enemy, and some would fire a bunch if I did first. The suckiest part of the DI M16's are blanks as it's a PIA with all that gummy black soot in there. And a hot chamber as it cools, will rip what moisture from the air it can as it cools and frost over, and then melt and get wet as it freezes. Not enough to freeze exactly, but it's a gummy mess in there--yah pistons. For me, I just got to "task" a noobie to clean the rifle, so all was well for me. So far the SCAR hasn't had a jam.

One thing in extreme cold is to train yourself to never take off your mittens to do stuff. We had an emergency heated truck, but in the real world, a mistake like that could cost you your fingers. Sorry to drag this out, but back in the early 90's at least, and I'm sure things have changed, but back then our Battalion had a hot weather focus for activation (not sure if that's true, but what I was told), so we were issued no extreme cold weather gear. I had a combo of exteme stuff I bought and brought back from Germany, and had some Korean mickey mouse boots of my dads. Most guys had Golden Gopher/Vikings hats and snowmobile mittens as well as civilian Sorel boots to stay warm--but the kicker was we were issued an extreme cold weather sleeping bag even though our 2 week drill was held in 80-90 hot humid summer weather, what a cluster.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.