FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to order some more mags, but it kills me to order more 20's when possibly someone will put out a 25 or 30 round mag for the scar and make these FN 20's obsolete.

My question is if there was a 25 or 30 round magazine for the Scar would you still use your 20's?

Do you think the 20's would become obsolete and I couldn't sell the unused 20's that I have?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know my FN 20 round mags work every time, that is more important to me than 5 or 10 more rounds.
What if FN put out a 30 round magazine, same as your 20 just a big longer. Would you still use the 20?

I am going to stockpile some mags so I don't want to stock pile mags that will be obsolete when they finally come out with a 30.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd rather be using the FN 20 rd mags than a generic 25 or 30 rd mag. Also, any current version that holds more than 20 rounds - in my opinion - sticks out like a sore thumb and decreases mobility as well as the striking good looks of the SCAR! :th_653:

If you do find some 25-30rd mags you like, I'm sure there will be PLENTY of us who would help take those "obsolete" 20rd mags off your hands!

·
Registered
517 Posts
What if FN put out a 30 round magazine, same as your 20 just a big longer. Would you still use the 20?

I am going to stockpile some mags so I don't want to stock pile mags that will be obsolete when they finally come out with a 30.
Like SnowSCAR noted the more rounds in the mag make can make it a bit cumbersome. I would likely get one or two larger mags if FN made them, but in my reality a 20 round mag is plenty.

·
Registered
506 Posts
10 extra rounds of .308 weighs approximately 11.5oz. My vest holds 4, plus 1 in the rifle equals an extra 3.5lbs. If you managed to slug around 8 mags + 1 in the rifle (which isn't entirely unreasonable), that's an extra 6.5lbs of weight. Your average M4 style AR weighs just under 7lbs empty.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
The 20 round mag is just long enough not to get in the way. Not to mention when I hear that bolt open I here the old school cash register "Ching". I know that 10-30$ just went down range :-D. I am not a proponent of blasting as many 7.62X51 down range as fast as I can for that reason. The 17 is accurate as all get out so I like to take it slow and enjoy my hits. I might try a 30 rounder if FN made it but I would never get rid of my 20 rounders. 7.62 is more effective than .556 so you can get away with less. The .223 was designed with carrying a shipload of it in mind. It was also designed for FA use. So 30 round .223 magazines are the way to go. However, That's just my opinion take it or leave it.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
20 rounds = one box of ammo, good enough for me!

Reactions: KameronTKelly

·
Registered
671 Posts
20 rounds of .308 ain't exactly light, I'll pass on 25 or 30 round mags... Different story for a 5.56 gun that has significantly lighter ammo and lighter rifle.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I would stick with the 20 rounders. Going much beyound that with a 308 makes it really clumsy especially firing prone or from a rest or bench.

If your going to get silly just get a belt fed or a drum.

I've got a couple 10 round pmags for bench usage on the range and hunting this coming deer season.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I tried the 30-rds mag in the FAL and quickly ditched it.

30-rds .308 mags are heavy as hell, not to mention ridiculously long. You're going to monopod your rifle on that mag and that isn't a good thing.

·
Registered
372 Posts
There is a reason why most militaries never used 30 round mags in the FAL for very long, it gets in the way too much, and are too bulky and heavy to haul.

·
Registered
508 Posts
We aren't talking about a piddly .223 here, 20 rounds of .308/7.62 is enough. By your logic you could justify never buying more magazines... "I can't buy a 20 rounder because they may release a 25 rounder! I can't buy a 25 rounder because they may release a 30 rounder! I can't buy a 30 rounder because they may..." You get the idea

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'll take RELIABLE 20's over so so 30's any day of the week. (as others have stated - prone is not a lover of magazines being too long. FN 20's just plain work in more ways than one.)

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have a few 30rd FAL mags that I converted. I don't really notice the weight in the gun. Six of them on a chest rig would be a bit much, but just a few are completely manageable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just received 4 of the new 25 round pmags and they feel pretty good and should run great, now just waiting on the S.E.A.L to go with them but I think they are a good option.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am looking forward to the 25 round pmag....for my handle lower until I can get one of Sarge's lowers. The extra five rounds really bridges the gap in capacity. With more than 2 1/2 times the energy of a 223, I don't need to drill someone into the ground with a 308.... A double tap does the job nearly every time.....and you can simply reapply as necessary.

The 25 round mag removes the advantage of the 223's round count .....

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
20 rounds of .308 ain't exactly light, I'll pass on 25 or 30 round mags... Different story for a 5.56 gun that has significantly lighter ammo and lighter rifle.
This. I think 25-30 rd. magazines of 7.62x51 would be unwieldy, heavy to manipulate and awkward to carry in pouches.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts