FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to stock up, prepping, and buying before another ban, on a few things and was wondering if I ever would ever want to build an ar10 in the future.

I guess what I would stock up on are some ar10 pmags and possibly an ar10 lower.

Basically I like the scar 17s, but what I don't like about it is that they don't sell barrels for the gun, like if I wanted to put a precision 20" barrel on the Scar.

I was wondering if any of you have experience with the ar10 and think it is worth building one? Do they have any advantages over the scar 17s, even if they are just setup with a bipod for stationary defense?

I am just trying to get any ideas from you guys to help me with the decision. I am worried about Hiliary Clinton being elected and her pushing for bans.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was considering it before getting the SCAR. The advantage is the same customization as an AR15. In my case the one thing I don't like about the SCAR is the amount of handguard extension options. I prefer the round ones that run all the way out to the bottom of the brake. You still have to look at which pattern magazines and the proprietary parts each one has. Plus how much dirtier will DI be in 7.62?

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
SCAR® BARREL
FNH USA - Distinct Advantage :: FN SCAR® Barrels

Rumor has it 20" barrels will be available too??

The FN SCAR® barrel assemblies are cold hammer-forged, chrome-lined MIL-SPEC steel barrels with front sight assembly, gas block assembly, gas regulator, gas piston and flash hider installed. Available in short lengths for reduced weight, fast handling and confined space maneuvering; standard lengths for replacement of existing barrels; and long lengths for increased velocity and extended range capability. Assemblies can be easily installed by the user with a Torx® T25 and 62 In Lb torque wrench and are ready to shoot without headspacing.
* All NFA Rules Apply
SCAR® 16S

10-inch Barrel Assembly Product Number: 98802
14-inch Barrel Assembly Product Number: 98804
SCAR® 17S

13-inch Barrel Assembly Product Number: 98814

Basically I like the scar 17s, but what I don't like about it is that they don't sell barrels for the gun, like if I wanted to put a precision 20" barrel on the Scar.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I bought a Rock River Varminter 26" heavy barrel just put it in the safe and haven't shot it yet maybe someday.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I've got an M&P10 and love it. My only objection is that it's not 100% compatible with the DPMS parts - so interchangeability is limited.

I suspect S&W did it on purpose just to irritate us...and it worked.

I keep hoping someone will step up and make compatible barrels, and that BCM would make a charging handle compatible with the S&W BCG.

So far, no joy. If you can live with that, or find workarounds, it's been a nice rifle.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I built an 80% lower and an upper both from tactical machining. The 18" select barrel from Rainier Arms.

It gets .75 groups @100yds with 175 SMK with 43.5g Varget. Groups x4 with 147-150g bullets. Haven't tried 168 SMK yet.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I don't have much to add here, but I'll just say that I absolutely would, but not to replace the SCAR-17. I'm thinking about an M&P 10 set up kind of like a DMR. I think that'd be a fun setup. But for most of my .308 shooting it's my SCAR 17 for sure.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I would get a stripped lower and other parts that might become scarce fast (bolt carrier group). If you get it built, you could always flip it.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
I looked into this a few years ago. Problem is, no set standard. Have to be careful what parts you buy for the brand/version you have. Get a SCAR 17. That's what I will do someday.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
When I began searching for my first black rifle I was dead set on .308/7.62 so I started pricing my "custom" parts to complete a Ar10 and I was at like 16-1800 bucks. Thus, I said screw it and bought the 17s and I don't regret it.

Precise work should be done with a bolt gun but my 17s still outshoots me on a average day... A great day consists of me plugging sub moa groups with quality match ammo. So for me, no I don't see any real advantages in another .308 semi. If I'm going bolt gun I'm leaning toward .338 lapua, .300 win mag, or my current .270 weatherby which has been stupid accurate.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've got the BAR-10. Even with a 16" barrel it is extremely accurate. I do reload all of it's ammo, but even before I put in the geissele trigger it was giving me a 0.3 - 0.5 MOA @ 100yds...

308grouping.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts