FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it seems like some major importation sanctions against Russia are gonna be flowing down the pipe soon. Does anyone think that those sanctions would effect the availability of Tula, Brown Bear, Wolf, and other Russian ammo brands that we ship in?

7.62x39 is running about 22-25 cents per round now. Here's to hoping it stays in this range.

But I did just buy 2k rounds.... Because **** happens.

·
Registered
284 Posts
That very question came up at my LGS as I was picking up a new FNS-40 yesterday.

The owner told me that he saw 1,000,000 rounds of 7.62x39 available on an inventory list he has access to monitor and by the end of the day it was all gone.

So, his thoughts were yes, he would expect to see the 7.62x39 be more difficult to restock and it should be expected to be more expensive from this point on.

I'd get what you can now... It might not be so easy later.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've seen talk of sanctions. But besides punishing wealthy Russians by not letting them travel as much and such. I haven't seen anything concrete on ammunition being imported here. Is it possible? Sure. Are some people jumping the gun and panicking again. Yes. Just like it's still hard to find .22. Gun owners are just as bad enemies as anit-gun political entities.

I've seen one ""quote/report" from some blog that has spread around to a few other blogs. About a "private conversation" with a large dealer/distributor about "receiving word" from a source that Russia is halting exports of ammo to the US.

Could Russia/Putin be doing this? Sure. Could someone be spreading misinformation or lying and then others spread the same crap. Just as likely. Of course, a run on ammo is a run on ammo.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is an article making the rounds on several forums/sites.

Like everything less than concrete I'd take it with a grain of salt.

A Run On Ammunition Has Begun: “Russia Has Reportedly Halted All Exports To The US Of Russian Made Ammunition”
by Mac Slavo, March 6th, 2014 @ http://www.shtfplan.com/.../a-run-on-ammunition-has-begun...

In recent months ammunition has slowly begun appearing on store shelves at major retailers in the United States. But after nearly two years of shortages that had ammunition manufacturers running their factories 24 hours a day, 7 days a week because of consumer demand and massive government purchases, it appears that another supply pipeline may have been cut.

If you don’t already have it then prepare to go without or pay double the price or more in coming days and weeks:

In the wake of the Sandy Hook tragedy and fears of new control control legislation from the Obama administration, extreme shortages of ammunition have been sustained over the past 12-24 months, as panicked Americans have raided the shelves of Cabelas and gun-shows across the country buying literally every round they can get their hands on.

Combined with multi-billion round purchases from gov’t 3 letter acronyms such as the DHS and FBI, (including even the USPS and IRS), the shortages have continued even as manufacturers have responded by drastically increasing production.

Over the past 6-12 months, shortages of some calibers such as 7.62 used in the popular AK-47 semi-automatic weapon have been alleviated somewhat via massive imports of Russian production.

That is about to change.

The largest wholesale gun & ammo distributors in the US have informed us in private conversation today that a massive scramble is on for all 7.62 as Russia has reportedly halted all exports to the US of Russian made ammunition.

Our distributor source informed us that yesterday they had several hundred thousand rounds of Russian made 7.62 TulAmmo, and after receiving word early today on the halt of Russian exports to the US, they have been completely wiped out of every last round in the past 10 hours!

We have only several days supply of 7.62 on hand currently at SDBullion under normal market conditions, and expect it will disappear as quickly as 22 LR once word of the Russian export halt spreads.
While Obama and Kerry threaten Russia with economic sanctions over the Ukranian crisis, it appears that Putin has quietly taken the first step and launched economic sanctions of his own against the US.
We have a feeling that we are seeing only the beginning.
Via Silver Doctors

If this report is accurate, then the motivation may not necessarily be to cut off ammunition to U.S. gun owners. Perhaps Russia is just ensuring that they have plenty of ammo on hand in the event that a Russian invasion of the Ukraine is initiated by Vladimir Putin.

Whatever the case, this report highlights, yet again, how important it is to have necessary supplies on hand before a major crisis, announcement or political shift.

When the Fukushima radiation plumes began making their way towards the United States and the Department of Homeland Security announced that Americans should have Potassium Iodide on hand to help fight thyroid absorption Americans across the country panicked. The price of a single bottle of KI went from the manufacturer suggested retail price of around $20 to a whopping $200 per bottle on auction web sites.

After Sandy Hook, as the anti-gun faction of our government began moving to restrict the ownership of firearms and ammunition, prices skyrocketed 300% and shelves were emptied within days.

And, as we’ve seen during critical emergencies like Hurricanes Katrina and Sandy, as well as the ice storms that hit the eastern half of the United States in the last few months, grocery stores were cleaned out within hours.

If you’re one second late, you’ll be out of luck.

Develop a comprehensive preparedness plan today and start stocking up.

·
Registered
548 Posts
This current wave of ammo panic 'Russia has stopped exports of ammunition to the US' was started by a website called 'silver doctors' (I wont justify their existence by linking to them) and that article has been quoted all over the internet, including the above-mentioned. Funny thing is that article has nothing to back it up. I searched google for hours and could not find one actual source for their claim.

What I did find however, in their article was this line: 'We have only several days supply of 7.62 on hand currently at SDBullion under normal market conditions, and expect it will disappear as quickly as 22 LR once word of the Russian export halt spreads.'

Kind of looks like boosting sales by rumor if you ask me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yup, the rumor has been debunked. No thanks to blogs (and many did) that linked to the same claim by "Silver Doctors". And people like James Yeager.

Now, I love me some Golden Tiger. Of all the cheaper steel cased x39 ammo. I prefer GT. But from what I recall, GT isn't sold or distributed by as many places as ammo like Tula and Wolf. There's less of it out there it seems. I might be wrong on this front though. But you're certainly more likely to see Tula, Wolf, etc than GT.

I see people falling into the trap though. Regardless of it being stupidly bogus. Not really shocking. Considering a large reason why we had a year plus panic was because of panic.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I guess this where I say "Hmmmm, glad I don't own a X39".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts