FN Herstal Firearms banner

Would you open carry your handgun if your local area allowed it?

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
yuper i use to open carry all the time back home in vegas(were it is Legal)
1)makes you "appear" to be some type of LEO
2)Bad guys generally dont rob LEO
3)Bad guys dont commit other crimes w/ LEO standing around
4) when SHTF a quick draw is extrealy helpfull to eliminate the threat
the list goes on and on....but there are just as many cons as pros,like disturbing the peace clauses,harrasment by LEO,strange looks...

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I would open carry some places, and conceal in others.

I like wearing blue jeans, tennis shoes, and golf shirts tucked in. Open carry would be nice when dressed like that.

To conceal now I have to leave my golf shirt untucked or wear a tshirt tucked in and a button up shirt left untucked and unbuttoned.

Wearing two shirts in Houston is too hot most of the time so I end up wearing baggy tshirts and golf shirts untucked. That's just not how I prefer to dress.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I voted no.
Concealed has many tactical advantages over open carry.
1 surprise
2 less likely for some ballsy jerk to pull your piece out of it's holster while your pouring a cup of joe at the gas station
3 suddenly someone has you in a headlock. If they don't know where your gun is, or that you even have one, it's going to be harder for them to stop you from grabbing it and defending yourself.
4 much less likely to get shot during a bank robbery or heist.... :D

Then again, in a situation involving dangerous animal none of this matters. I would defiantly open carry if I were strolling through the tall grass in Africa, or bushwhacking through grizzly country.

As far as politics go, I think open carry should be legal. If some ex-soldier or hobo hunter is so attached to his rifle that he carries it into MacDonalds over his shoulder, who cares? Well, everyone. But they shouldn't.

Ranged Weapons have co-evolved with our species, and it's my opinion that we are naked and neutered without one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I voted no.
Concealed has many tactical advantages over open carry.
1 surprise
2 less likely for some ballsy jerk to pull your piece out of it's holster while your pouring a cup of joe at the gas station
3 suddenly someone has you in a headlock. If they don't know where your gun is, or that you even have one, it's going to be harder for them to stop you from grabbing it and defending yourself.
4 much less likely to get shot during a bank robbery or heist.... :D

Then again, in a situation involving dangerous animal none of this matters. I would defiantly open carry if I were strolling through the tall grass in Africa, or bushwhacking through grizzly country.

As far as politics go, I think open carry should be legal. If some ex-soldier or hobo hunter is so attached to his rifle that he carries it into MacDonalds over his shoulder, who cares? Well, everyone. But they shouldn't. .
like i was saying the pros and cons never stop.1 I believe that a aggessive posture and a lil situation awareness is the best theft detournt(dont think thats spelled right lol) as for number 2 thats what retension holsters are for,and 3 for that matter(or a knive),and 4 all those hours of pratice come in to play(hope you praticed your quick draw).lol about the soldier comment i was thinking of selling my ar15 just cuz im sick of it here in iraq,again not trying to make enemies just a debate i have with my wife every time i strap on a holster so i figured i would vent a lil

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
well in Pennsylvania Open Carry is legal, but when you try to actually do it the leo`s either don't believe it is legal and or don't know either way I do not think it would be a good idea to open carry on your way to meet your kid at the school bus lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Having to carry concealed means wearing clothing that makes you appear "shabby" IMO. When I carry concealed I'm more alert as to who is around me, esp. when someone gets "close" to me, generally within 6' IMO. Open carry would let me dress comfortably and not make me have that "homeless, shabby, out of work, lazy" look I hate. Hot weather is another factor IMO. Plus, I would think it would be more difficult to pick up women when your open carry IMO, they might think your crazy and or threatening them passively. It doesn't matter that you don't have bad intentions, all it matters is what she thinks. I voted for open carry BTW, there are plenty of women, like Erica the red, who like guys with guns :D .

·
Registered
631 Posts
Gramma said never let your enemy see the size of your stick, least he be prepared with a bigger one, rather let him learn the size of your stick only after you have struck him with it and he is no longer a threat.

Reactions: IA_flyboy

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
"God made all man different, Samual Colt's 45 made them all equal"

Yes, I'd carry open. I look at it as an issue of honor. Hiding a gun makes me feel sleezy or underhanded in a way. Now their may be times when that may be needed, but not as a general rule I don't like it. Thats just me. I have no problem if others want to carried concealed. Besides, if they carry concealed and I'm carrying open, I can draw quicker than they can. Heheheee

Open carry IMO is a great deterent to crime. You don't see anyone trying to hold up a gun show, a police station or a military base. Open carry leaves no dought in the minds of the bad guys, that they could be dead if they threaten you, and that's a good thing IMO.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I open carry more often than I conceal. I don't give a crap about "tactical" advantages. There has been not a single instance where OC has gotten someone killed, robbed, or targeted. Sure, when you open carry you need a higher level of situational awareness, but is that a bad thing? It also gives you a greater chance to educate people on the legalities of OC and guns in general.

The owner of my private range calls me Wyatt.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts